Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Re: -9173 errors...

i have the exact opposite experience.. I disable turbo boost on both my MacBooks during normal usage with TBS pro simply because it allows me to work without fan noise and heat.. it's good for the cpu...

When i have projects that the computer can no longer handle, I enable it and get a huge performance boost.. massive..

I can't test PT on the 16" yet, but i can tell you on my iMac pro there is zero benefit to having it disabled.. all cores are just under 4GHZ at all times, zero thermal throttling, and works perfectly with PT.

I have run my Logic test that I created at gearslutz.com which is the current one everyone uses for testing logic performance, and I get a way higher result with turbo boost enabled.. this is on the MacBook 16".. With a DAW load, all cores settle to about 3.6ghz, the cpu was at 1070% out of a possible 1600% (real cpu load) and I had headroom. It could not play back with TB Disabled, not even close.
On my third MacBook, the old haswell one, which has 3 PT installs on it, all perform better with TB enabled.

Something is wrong in your case.. if you are using the 10 core Xeon mac pro, I am presuming you have a trashcan. They have zero problems thermally and can stay at the chips rated all core boost all day and night.. It is something else going on, I am certain of it..
The base clock of the 10 core is 3.0ghz, yes? The turbo is only 3.6 for that.. Macs are very good at speeding up the cpu when the situation actually requires it but your line of thinking must be that it fluctuates all the time.. Well.. I have something to tell you.. even with turbo boost disabled, your cpu can go as low as like 1.8ghz and will fluctuate all the time until the situation needs the full power of the processor.. It is always, on all macs built in the last 8 years or so, fluctuating just like turbo boost does.. but by a much greater margin than the small 3 to 3.6 jump for turbo boost on your particular cpu. Right now my MacBook is at 1.44ghz and 32 degrees LOL... Even playing a soft synth on a single track will not give me maximum turbo speed unless the cpu starts getting really loaded.. it is fluctuating all over the place.

The only way you can set a chip to one stable clock speed is with windows and a good bios.. Indeed, for real time critical work such as audio, one single clock speed is preferable, but it's simply not an option on any mac anymore whatsoever..
If your 10 core was rated at a MINIMUM of 3GHZ and never went below, and the 3GHZ was a single stable clock speed, and enabling turbo caused issues, then I would understand.. but it's fluctuating all the time anyway.. All turbo is doing is providing a higher maximum clock speed when thermals allow, and the trashcan thermals are absolutely fine with all cores maxed out for all the cpus that were available in them.

If you have a cheese grater, well then, I don't know - it could be a different situation.. I only say trashcan as I never heard of a 10 core in the previous mac pros.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:54 PM

I've come to the conclusion that -9173 is not a bug or an error. It's a PT feature

I just try to avoid this feature as much as possible.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Switching it on and off is not a big deal. There is a utility called Turbo Boost Switcher Pro that costs $9,95. This allows you to turn it on and off at the click of a button, or even have it automatically switch boost on when certain apps are open.

It's just basic computer maintenance. It's like maintaining a tape machine. Computers are not set-and-forget, no matter how much Apple would like to convince you of this. As soon as you have a device that can do multiple functions, there will be a certain amount of configuration required to optimise it for your specific needs. A video editor will spec out and set up a computer much differently to someone who records bands.

Depending on what you're screwing with...maybe...but enabling/disabling turbo boost will have no negative effect on your computer. On the contrary, with turbo boost disabled, you'll be running lower temperatures which will extend the life of your machine.

Good luck with that. There are plenty of people running Pro Tools not experiencing the problems you're facing, which means it's a configuration/compatibility issue...these issues have existed for 35+ years and are just a given when dealing with computers. There are plenty of reasons to be pissed at Avid, holy **** I am so disappointed with them at this point, but I think you're approaching this from completely the wrong angle. How about that they're selling a subscription model for quicker updates and yet there are more bugs than ever before and many bugs that have existed forever that haven't been fixed yet...ones that don't have anything to do with hardware compatibility, purely software stuff (the CRAZY elastic audio rendering bug comes to mind immediately), or how their online store is pushing people to give up their perpetual licenses to crossgrade to subscription in such a sneaky way that people aren't realising this is happening (there is already a thread here with several people who have discovered they have given up their perpetual licenses without any proper warning...and this is just the people who have actually noticed at this point...I expect a lot of fallout from this in the coming months/years.)

Basically I've tried it all.. Im now considering trying to roll back to high Sierra, but then we loose our external monitors over usb c . a toss up.

Understand some of these may have been configuration issues. But based on prior experience when we first bought a native system in 2013 on PT9. we couldn't even press play without one of those errors.. Apparently hundreds of people had that issue too and it was deemed to be software related and Avid reimbursed us back then for our downtime and trouble.

This is not configuration. Ive had several people more than qualified from major studios nearby all agree after trying their hand at it too.

I just don't know what step to take next.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM

the thing I never get is the total randomness (it seems) of it

I can run the same session for days with no problem, and then one day it just won't go more than a few seconds without the 9173 error.

and then sometime later, it runs again...

it's weird
Old 12-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
the thing I never get is the total randomness (it seems) of it

I can run the same session for days with no problem, and then one day it just won't go more than a few seconds without the 9173 error.

and then sometime later, it runs again...

it's weird
in my experience it has to do with "processor heat" as well - some of my session run well and then when I had a lot of plugins on a session 1 hour later I was getting a lot of -9173 errors
turning the computer off for a while and restartig the same session half an hour later and everything run smooth again..
Old 12-20-2019, 09:48 AM

OK, I don't want to jinx this, but I think that updating to 2019.12 has solved my issues with this error. I normally have a few -9173 errors each day, usually within a few minutes of loading a new session, and I thought it was related to when Pro Tools had finished loading the session in the RAM cache, and switched away from running any tracks off the hard drive. So far, I've been doing mix revisions all day, loading various sessions, and I have not had any error messages yet.
UAD Octo PCIe, UAD Octo Thunderbolt 3 Satellite

www.adrian-hall.com
Old 12-21-2019, 03:07 AM

Hey! I was going to write the exact same thing. I used to have constant -9173 errors- and I really don’t want to jinx it - but since installing 19.12 I have had none in two days. Hooooorayyyyyy!

But PT still crashes on quit. Reliably. Almost every time. Probably due to some plugins I always use.

Phone +46707773443
Old 12-21-2019, 09:36 AM

From my experience -91xx errors are almost always due to plugins. Sometimes you can take a look at the dlog and see which plugin corresponded with the error. I have also seen plugins cause a crash on session open/close. (Lexicon PCM Native Reverb is notorious for this) The drag is that in order to sort it out you need to take plugins out of the folder and try to run without them. This takes forever.

If you don't know already, the problem plugin does not have to be used in the session to cause a problem. i needs merely to exist in the plugins folder.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 12-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Back in a day when this was a bigger problem I used to manually organize the plugins folder so I had every plugin file in a subfolder by vendor name. It made troubleshooting a whole lot easier because I could drop plugins by vendor if needed. Updating was PITA though
Old 12-21-2019, 12:57 PM

I think that a big disconnect between software developers in general and actual users is that the developer typically tests their software on "clean machines" where they can control the entire environment and limit their tests to just their programs. I don't think it's a stretch to state that if I removed all 3rd party plug ins and 3rd party VI's from Pro Tools, installed it on a fresh machine that my system would likely run quicker and with more stability and fewer crashes. But then the power of the modern DAW would be greatly limited and that's not how the real world works!

So I make my pitch again to all who have updated PT to the 2019 versions to say YES to send Avid anonymous usage data! There's no practical way for Avid to be able to test Pro Tools in the same configurations that we have, and we can't expect Avid to be responsible for all 3rd party developers to follow all the quality and performance standards that they are supposed to follow. Yes, I know there are standards for AAX, VST and the like, but nobody I know of that creates software in the open environment of Mac/PC OS is guaranteeing flawless, bug-free crash-free operation all the time. There's too many other factors outside of the individual developer's control.

Unfortunately, we have been force-fed software that's not always ready for prime-time, and we have accepted that there will be updates to fix bugs in released software(thank you Microsoft). It would be cool to have a Pro Tools DAW machine that runs a bespoke OS developed and guaranteed by the same manufacturer of the software(Logic, anyone?), but I don't think the economics of that solution allow for that right now.
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.