Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Where is 12.8?

I found the solution for me. I rolled back to 12.4 and it's as smooth as Pro Tools can be. If PT 12.8 is going to give me problems & no new features (just like the previous releases) then the hell with it, I go back to 12.4.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmix View Post
Sure that's all true to some degree, but you're making the assumption that people haven't already tried doing research, and things still didn't work out. My problem is the amount of research required. I mix/write music/produce. I'm NOT a computer guy.

So to continue with your example, sure I research before buying a car, and the car I get is brand new and works fine as far as I can see. However, the more I learn about cars, the more I realize that my car actually isn't working fine. I begin to realize that while they claim that Super Car 2000 is suitable for Canadian winters, that's only true if you have a block heater, have the engine type that can handle thick AND thin oil for different times of the year, and have a strong upper-level aftermarket battery. So here I am, barely able to use my car if it's too cold even though it was stated this car could work in the cold. Also, several other parts, such as the starter, alternator, and the engine itself are wearing out quicker because my car hasn't been optimized for my particular environment.

Now the truth is, that doesn't happen with cars in Canada because when a company makes a car they intend to sell in Canada, they generally make sure it is compatible with Canadian weather. So sure, it's my job to do research to avoid a bad scenario, but a good company that is attempting to reach a broad audience makes a product that doesn't require the customer to know so much how the product works behind the scenes (though knowing about compatibility is hardly behind the scenes, I still think it is something that should require minimal research).

Thus while some blame can be placed on me and other customers for not making sure Pro Tools was completely compatible, you can't say that we did "no research" or that our complaining is unjustified. I'm specifically salty because my wife and I bought an iMac (mainly for her to use for photoshop) that was supposed to be compatible with Pro Tools, and while it works alright, it still is "buggy". Hopefully when I update my laptop (after doing countless days of research to figure out what was required... ), Pro Tools will work fully. However, another thing that makes me bitter is that even after my upgrades, apparently I can't be sure as to whether or not Pro Tools will work properly.

Great comparison analogy and I see your point of view; and feel both have their points. Staying with the car example; say that vehicle doesn't happen to do what it stated it could in Canada but works for some. Do you think the auto maker would release an update by finding complaints on a user forum? Likely not, the would rely on a number of the exact same complaints filed with the dealer. From there they would try to re-create the problem. This process would likely take months if not years. I feel that may be the issue with the stagnant 12.8 release. Because Avid can't control the systems and multitude of different systems that people use with their software it makes it near impossible to recreate some user issues.

This is why they have suggested compatible systems; and if you follow those guidelines like the bible then it makes it easier for them to help you.

That being said; I see you said you were on an iMac. The first thing I would look at is if you have a fusion drive. If you do, that's the problem right there.

But moving forward; it sounds like you're going to invest in a new laptop. I do STRONGLY suggest that you contact Annex Pro in Vancouver; they tend to the major post/film studios out west. Their staff will optimize and test a system for you. When it gets to you; it comes ready to plug in and turn on!

I can't tell if you're in the Toronto area or not; but there is no shortage of talented ProTools engineers around. I would check out Saved By Technology and see if they can build a turnkey system for you. I haven't been there in years since I live out west.

Having this done will take the 'computer' tech side of things out of it. But remember; if you use this vehicle in a professional manner you should at least know how to check the oil, change a flat; and have a reliable mechanic to bring it to if you can't figure it out.

Who know's maybe 12.8 will have remote support plugins that just optimize your rig for you :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 05-30-2017, 08:09 AM

Just curious, anyone having less trouble after uninstalling the cloud services? Pro Tools has always behaved terrible as soon as any network activity is going on..

I'll make my personal decision on which PT version to go for after testing the 12.8 beta later this week.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Arche3 says he's found instrument tracks problematic; is it the same with you and is that why you don't use them? I direct midi via instrument tracks to VEP and back from VEP outputs without problems (12.4) But there's a little delay sometimes from some VI's.
I have never used them - not because of bad experience, rather simply the result of my process. Since I use VEP for VI's, and also incorporate HW synths - Instrument tracks don't make sense for how I work.

That Arche3 found issues is interesting.
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Great comparison analogy and I see your point of view; and feel both have their points. Staying with the car example; say that vehicle doesn't happen to do what it stated it could in Canada but works for some. Do you think the auto maker would release an update by finding complaints on a user forum? Likely not, the would rely on a number of the exact same complaints filed with the dealer. From there they would try to re-create the problem. This process would likely take months if not years. I feel that may be the issue with the stagnant 12.8 release. Because Avid can't control the systems and multitude of different systems that people use with their software it makes it near impossible to recreate some user issues.

This is why they have suggested compatible systems; and if you follow those guidelines like the bible then it makes it easier for them to help you.

That being said; I see you said you were on an iMac. The first thing I would look at is if you have a fusion drive. If you do, that's the problem right there.

But moving forward; it sounds like you're going to invest in a new laptop. I do STRONGLY suggest that you contact Annex Pro in Vancouver; they tend to the major post/film studios out west. Their staff will optimize and test a system for you. When it gets to you; it comes ready to plug in and turn on!

I can't tell if you're in the Toronto area or not; but there is no shortage of talented ProTools engineers around. I would check out Saved By Technology and see if they can build a turnkey system for you. I haven't been there in years since I live out west.

Having this done will take the 'computer' tech side of things out of it. But remember; if you use this vehicle in a professional manner you should at least know how to check the oil, change a flat; and have a reliable mechanic to bring it to if you can't figure it out.

Who know's maybe 12.8 will have remote support plugins that just optimize your rig for you :P
Thanks for some great pointers! I actually am trying to optimize my original laptop, and I just took the first major step yesterday by switching to SSD, and putting my HDD where my optic drive was so I can split my sessions. Drastic difference in computer performance, but hardly affected the behaviour of Pro Tools it seems on initial tests.

I'm actually in Edmonton, so unfortunately there's not a mixing community quite like you'd find in Vancouver/Toronto areas. I'll definitely get a hold of Annex Pro today though.

Here's to hoping some of my problems are general enough that 12.8 addresses them... It looks like CPU usage and PT's ability to handle all plug ins in a stable manner are well known irritants.
M-Box Mini 3
Pro Tools 12.7.1
Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmix View Post
Thanks for some great pointers! I actually am trying to optimize my original laptop, and I just took the first major step yesterday by switching to SSD, and putting my HDD where my optic drive was so I can split my sessions. Drastic difference in computer performance, but hardly affected the behaviour of Pro Tools it seems on initial tests.

I'm actually in Edmonton, so unfortunately there's not a mixing community quite like you'd find in Vancouver/Toronto areas. I'll definitely get a hold of Annex Pro today though.

Here's to hoping some of my problems are general enough that 12.8 addresses them... It looks like CPU usage and PT's ability to handle all plug ins in a stable manner are well known irritants.

That's great! How much ram is in that laptop? I'm not super close to van either I live in a small town in central Bc. Maybe send me a pm with what you're setup is and what the specific issues are. I might be able to help. I run a mbp as well with no troubles. Aside from forgetting to change buffer sizes sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Not the longest time between major (1 dot) releases, but so far, 12.8 is close. Days are since last release (1) and since last 1 dot release (2).

Ver Date Days (1) / (2)
12.0 3/23/15
(Subscription, IO changes)
12.1 6/30/15 99 / 99
(Increase audio/instrument tracks in non-HD)
12.2 9/02/15 82 / 82
(VCAs and Advanced Metering in non- HD)
12.2.1 9/29/15 27
Bug Fixes
12.3 11/06/15 38 / 65
(Commit Tracks, Bounce Tracks, Fade presets/batch)
12.3.1 11/24/15 18
Bug Fixes
12.4 12/22/15 28 / 46
(Track Freeze, Fade Workflows)
12.5 3/28/16 97 / 97
(Cloud Collaboration)
12.5.1 6/14/16 78
Bug Fixes (Eucon/Dock support)
12.5.2 6/29/16 15
Bug Fixes (Eucon/S6 Master support)
12.6 9/28/16 91 / 184
(Clip Effects, Layer Editing, Playlist workflows)
12.6.1 11/30/16 63
Bug Fixes (HD Core Audio driver fix)
12.7 12/21/16 21 / 84
(Soundbase Browser, Loops, Clip Effects Presets)
12.7.1 2/22/17 63
Bug Fixes
12.8 (5/30/17) 97… / 160…
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
Just curious, anyone having less trouble after uninstalling the cloud services? Pro Tools has always behaved terrible as soon as any network activity is going on..

I'll make my personal decision on which PT version to go for after testing the 12.8 beta later this week.
Are you saying you uninstalled Avid Cloud and saw an improvement in performance?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Bell 9 View Post
Not the longest time between major (1 dot) releases, but so far, 12.8 is close. Days are since last release (1) and since last 1 dot release (2).

Ver Date Days (1) / (2)
12.0 3/23/15
(Subscription, IO changes)
12.1 6/30/15 99 / 99
(Increase audio/instrument tracks in non-HD)
12.2 9/02/15 82 / 82
(VCAs and Advanced Metering in non- HD)
12.2.1 9/29/15 27
Bug Fixes
12.3 11/06/15 38 / 65
(Commit Tracks, Bounce Tracks, Fade presets/batch)
12.3.1 11/24/15 18
Bug Fixes
12.4 12/22/15 28 / 46
(Track Freeze, Fade Workflows)
12.5 3/28/16 97 / 97
(Cloud Collaboration)
12.5.1 6/14/16 78
Bug Fixes (Eucon/Dock support)
12.5.2 6/29/16 15
Bug Fixes (Eucon/S6 Master support)
12.6 9/28/16 91 / 184
(Clip Effects, Layer Editing, Playlist workflows)
12.6.1 11/30/16 63
Bug Fixes (HD Core Audio driver fix)
12.7 12/21/16 21 / 84
(Soundbase Browser, Loops, Clip Effects Presets)
12.7.1 2/22/17 63
Bug Fixes
12.8 (5/30/17) 97… / 160…
Over two years... Well it's not great is it, especially for HD customers.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post

I noticed a drastic difference after getting rid of - app manager and associated files, unnecessary codecs (then installing latest versions), reinstalling stock plugins (some were out of date, which is weird because PT is supposed to install them on session launch), all RTAS installed plugins.

I ran into some issues uninstalling Cloud Client Services - Hangs and general lag - the link below also says don't remove it for windows OS.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Avid-...1-program.aspx

*On that note, I removed absolutely everything on my workstation that I either wasn't using or wasn't essential for my workflow which seemed to help immensely.

**I also went through the plugins in my list that survived the cull, and loaded them individually with the disk usage window open keeping an eye out for CPU spikes. To my surprise the Lindell 6X-500 Channel strip was causing CPU spikes and PT to hard crash on launch and when the plugin was engaged after being bypassed or made active - so that got removed too.

As a part of my workflow, every morning I trash OS cache and repair disk permissions and run first aid on every disk, as well as check for updates both OS and plugins before I launch Pro Tools.

Last edited by TrentWilliams; 05-30-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Closed Thread