Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Bugs out the Kazoo

facher83,

650 Watts PS should be OK. I only reiterated this because I have seen many, many problems caused by power supplies. One thing that seems to slip by a lot of people is that there are tolerances on PS that allow for vatiation. So 650W really may only be delivering 585W. It's just good practice to know what your load is so this never becomes an issue.

Free space on the system drive looks good.

I don't know where you got the info about SP3 causing problems. It really is not much more than SP2 with all of the hofixes. I had 8 PC's running SP3 without issue (I have 4 kids and some have desktops and laptops). I assure you that you need at least one of the hotfixes to run PT. The link to the required hotfix for SP2 is posted all over the DUC. You can find it.

The memory issue might matter. For sure the DAE is very old. But..... it is what it is. All of us that use PTLE/MP would like a re-write, but that's not here yet so you do what you have to to make PT work.

PT needs to be installed on the C Drive. This might be your most significant problem right here if it's on another drive (D:\). Sometimes things work the way they are "supposed" to and other times they don't. I think you are playing with fire by installing apps and system folders to a non-system drive. Regardless of how things should work, I have seen this cause problems on other apps too (all of the Sony Apps like Vegas, Sound Forge, etc.).

Paging File - with 4 GB or more ram you can set max and min to 2048 mb and forget it. No need for a range.

As far as plug-ins go, it is important that they be up-to-date to function properly in PT. Most people troubleshoot this issue by dragging all of their RTAS plug-ins from the:

C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins folder to the Plug-Ins (Unused) folder and bring them back in one by one until any offending plug-ins are found.

It's totally up to you, but I think getting PT installed on your C Drive will go a long way to fixing your issues. Also, that Creative Labs card might be significant.

Good Luck,
Greg
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, IMO 650w is sort of on the cuff for what you got and what you want, depends on usage though... but I guess I would also side with it being enough at this point.

BTW, A 7300 is still going to want some power though, don't assume...and with all those HDDs...I still thnk it's worth investigating (especially for strange anomalies/crashes/etc. Also, don't go thinking each drive shuts down pwr usage (unless you KNOW they are. And in a vid/daw sys, realize most people wouldn't set them up like that anyways - always on).

Could be that it's not installed in C:, good call. Address that first and let people know results.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM

(Installed SP3, removed XiFi card)

Maybe we need to take a step back... scratch everything and start new:

If I close all the child windows within PT and just use the Transport Window to play/stop the project, everything goes fairly well.

Open up the Score Editor Window, zoom ALL the way out, and everything plays pretty well.

Zoom in a little bit, and every time the page turns/updates, there is a static-clicking sound (as if resources had run out).

Hold down the scroll button, and a constant static/jumpy sound occurs.

Bounce, and no windows run any active graphics, and the sound is fine.

Everything points to a graphical user interface glitch. If PT doesn't have COMPLETE focus, it jitters like mad. If I focus on, say, the Reason window, or a resource monitor window, it jitters like mad. Refocus onto PT window, and it resumes playing fine again - even as PT AND Windows say the entire system is only sucking up 6% of the CPU capacity.

The key here is that it will work fine under the most painfully inconvenient circumstances.

If I'm in pencil mode in Score Editor window, it's jittery. If I go to, say, Trimmer Tool, it works fine (other than page turns/movement). If I stop playback, click on a note, it's supposed to play that note - instead, it statics and jitters and barely sounds like what it's supposed to - Yet clicking play, it plays dozens of tracks just fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
Everything points to a graphical user interface glitch. If PT doesn't have COMPLETE focus, it jitters like mad. If I focus on, say, the Reason window, or a resource monitor window, it jitters like mad. Refocus onto PT window, and it resumes playing fine again - even as PT AND Windows say the entire system is only sucking up 6% of the CPU capacity.
Since your having trouble with the graphic end of things, and your CPU usage seems to be low, I would start looking at Hardware conflicts. If the video, or another operation is sharing an IRQ with a device thats sending/receiving audio, that would cause exactly the issue you are describing. One big question:

What kind of M-Audio Hardware are you using for recording and monitoring?
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM

I will boot up with onboard video instead of the PCIe card and see if it clears any conflicts, when I get home.

I have the Audiophile USB and a KeyStudio 49i (or is it i49?). It doesn't matter which one is used, in different USB ports, the jumping is the same.

However, other audio applications, running through these interfaces as the default sound card, run fine.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Actually, the IRQ situation makes the most sense at this point.

I have been reading that many times video cards are on IRQ 9, which is usually shared by USB ports and some other devices. As the sound card being used is built in to the USB devices (as a qualified device is demanded, even though it's not necessary (I would love to just buy a $100 iLok fix)), graphical changes on screen makes sense in effecting the sound if it's USB originating.

Hopefully this works out.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM

mmmmmmk.

Tried to update the BIOS on my old mobo, and killed it. Way to go ASUS.

Fresh install, fresh XP, on a brand new Gigabyte motherboard, 50% more IRQs, maybe maybe not, definitely new SATA controllers/drivers.... finally, it all works.

Hopefully I'm not here posting for a while

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
finally, it all works.

Hopefully I'm not here posting for a while

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Glad everything is going well for ya. Its nice to have a nice running system.

But, please do come around man. The DUC is not just for reporting problems. We are a community and everyone counts. Keep us up on music you are working on, or new gear you are messing around with. Stay up with RussUK over in the Virtual Instruments Forum. He's doing real good things for us PTers. If you want to kick your game up his videos are the ones to watch, and his donwload are great. Just help him out a little if you can.

Best of luck with the upgraded system. Hope you keep coming around!
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools

Since you're kind enough to ask, I'll at least give a little background on what I do with the software...

(Just a warning, the main website is quite literally a year old or more (including audio demos)... I keep updating a new Silverlight website, but I never get far enough to upload something presentable)

I am a migrating user from Reason v.3/4, used as a sampler/sequencer. Pro Tools 8 with the Score Editor was the largest attraction to me, as well as the less important VST/plugin support.

PT in general also supports wave tracks, or audio tracks, which Reason 4 does not - sometimes I'm racking up Rerason projects that suck up 2 gigs of RAM, and live playback is A) Not possible and B) rendering (bouncing) takes ages. So, the ability to save select instruments or groups as a wave file for live playback, reducing the CPU load, is a huge plus.

Media:

PT8/Reason4 Hybrid Pic: http://scottedward.com/temp/Reason4+ProTools8.png

Synth Demo: http://scottedward.com/temp/synth1.wma

(Halo?) Demo: http://scottedward.com/temp/heroictheme.wma

Orch Battle Demo: http://scottedward.com/aero/BattlePr...ions%20v.2.wma

Orch Demo: http://scottedward.com/temp/FIlm1Update.wma

My hope is that using PT8 as an audio hub will speed things up in the long run and be more dynamic - the score editor is so much faster for me to read than a typical midi editor.