Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Default 1814 + Mpowered latency?

Hi guys,

Just bought the above, and sold both my 001 and Mbox.
It feels weird changing forum!

I guess I wasn't up for buying the 002 rack, but am looking forward to my new setup, especially now I can upgrade to PT7 (for free)

Just wondering what the latency is like for the 1814 and Mpowered software? Has anyone measured it, or is it so small its not noticeable?

Also, I noticed when trawling through all the posts in here for any issues, a lot of posters with problems never replied with whether they got sorted or not. Without sounding harsh, if its at all possible to check back and let people know how you got on, it would help other users immensely.

Anyway, any feedback on latency would be great.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: 1814 + Mpowered latency?

Hi Andrew,

I also have just purchased the 1814 and M-Powered..(and a mac!!) had about 2 days worth of playing so far ( moved from an M-Audio Audiophile, Cubase and a PC ).. I too would like to know what the latency is like.. what is the best way to monitor latency ? ( in cubase sx3, there was a visual representation in the IO settings which told me, say 5 seconds latency with the old setup )..

With PTMP and the 1814, is it just a case of listening, and figuring it out ? or are there tools,

Thanks

Will
Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Sorry this is only a tangential answer to your question, but if you open the control panel (from HW setup) for the 1814, you will see that there are some relatively sophisticated direct monitoring options (compared to the Mbox, for example) that circumvent the via-Pro Tools latency issue... as long as you don't depend on monitoring plug-ins on the track where you're recording in order to get your take recorded. At any rate, one fact of life that doesn't change is that monitoring latency is mostly related to the size of your H/W Buffer (in Playback Engine dialog).
Old 10-24-2005, 01:53 AM

SoundWrangler is right about the hardware buffer,
I don't have M-Powered yet though, so can't look into the 1814's control panel to check latency issues etc.
Here's some usful tips on latency though (from Digidesign)...

"Just want to make sure this is clear.. Pro Tools LE DOES compensate for host-based plug-ins using the CPU for processing by way of the HW buffer."
What that actually means is ; Plugins that have a latency greater than your buffer setting ( maximum - 1024 samples), or using multiple plug ins on the same track the accumulate more the 1024 samples latency, will not be compensated for."

If you Apple Click on the Volume reading (the actual numbers) in the Edit window the display revolves around showing Volume, Peak Level, then Plug-In Delay (measured in samples).

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 AM

You should be able to access the 1814's Control Panel in System Preferences. That's where it is for the Ozonic. The Ozonic just has a Monitor Input level, similar to the MBox.

I'm saving my pennies for a ProjectMix, which is similar to the 1814 on the audio side of things. Please let us know how you get along and what you think of the Control Panel features.