Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Does LE sound differnt than HD

Does LE sound differnt than HD?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Does LE sound differnt than HD

One difference is in the 192khz sampling Rate of HD. The 002 and Mbox have a maximum sampling rate of 96khz (DVD audio spec) but the HD systems can run with 192 I/O's at sampling rates of 192khz which can allow for clearer imaging, most noticeably in the higher frequency bands. The nyquist theorem states that the sampling rate has to be at least double that of our audible peaks of hearing (20Khz) to prevent recognizable aliasing and that was accomplished with the 44.1khz cd audio spec. DVD audio moved that spec to 96khz and now Pro Tools HD doubled the sampling rate of DVD audio so it's audio at it's highest definition in HD TDM.

Another difference is that the A/D conversion within the TDM 192 I/O's will be superior to that of the LE interfaces. Don't get me wrong, LE can produce professional results with it's high bitrate and sample resolution but TDM takes it a step further.

To answer your question directly : Yes, TDM can produce better sounding results, especially to the trained ear (engineers, producers and audiophiles).

Hope this has helped...
Take Care
Old 11-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Yes, You don't get the juicy Plug-ins in RTAS. For example MDW EQ - Which is the best EQ in Protools period.
I have compared sessions direct with the Same Plu-ins LE VS HD
HD sounds better.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 PM

Unfortunately the mbox does not support 96 kHz audio.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Does LE sound differnt than HD?
Of course LE and HD sound different. I mean it has too, right? You would be insane to spend $20K on an HD system if it didn't sound better.

In fact just the other day I heard some pop rock tune on the radio and thought to myself, "MAN!!, that sounds bad! It MUST have been recorded in LE."

Everytime I go to the school and work on a session on the HD rig there and then bring it home to work on some more, it's like someone is scraping old rusty nails agains a chalk board. Seriously, it takes me about three days of listening to LE to froget how good HD sounds.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-27-2005, 12:30 AM

You should do a mix of a tune on an LE system, without using any inserts/effects (only level and panning), and bounce it.

Then bring the whole session over to a HD system. Open it up, and do another bounce of the mix without changing any levels or panning. Theoretically it should be the same mix, but uses TDM power for summing.

Then bring both mixes into a new session, and phase align them up. AudioSuite Invert one of the mixes, have each track going to the same output, and bounce it to see if they cancel each other out perfectly.

And if they don't, A/B them to see which sounds better. I think that's the only way you'll find out.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Then bring both mixes into a new session, and phase align them up.
OK but the new session in HD or LE or even in a non Digi system?

Cheers Wolfgang
Old 11-27-2005, 07:24 AM

It is just a question of resolution in the bus suming. TDM (HD systems) is 48bit while LE is just 32bit like ost of other DAWs like Cubase or Logic. Even without plugs on it a mix will always sound better in TDM. Of course TDM plug-ins like Massenburg help to increase the difference...
Old 11-27-2005, 01:48 PM

I think so. I upgraded from a digi 001 to HD1. I noticed a less smeared stereo image. I would attribute that to a more stable internal clock and the overall power of TDM. It's truly a pro system. That's not to say that you can't turn out great projects on a lesser system though.

www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com
Old 11-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think so. I upgraded from a digi 001 to HD1. I noticed a less smeared stereo image. I would attribute that to a more stable internal clock and the overall power of TDM.
is that the sound of the SOFTWARE? or the D/A HARDWARE?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash