Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Average RMS and Peaks Help

Hey everyone,

I've been working on my first audiobook for the last month and have finally finished recording. There is zero background noise and my voice is crystal clear. Unfortunately, the problem I am having now is meeting specific volume requirements for submission, and it's a major issue.

The requirements are as follows:

"Audio files must measure between -23db and -18 db RMS and have -3db peaks"

I haven't saved anything yet, but I've messed around with the Maxim and Gain plug-ins so far; relying on Gain to analyze the file for the average RMS and peaks.

I don't really know what to do now. After everything I've looked up and tried the best I can do, it seems, is have one OR the other. If I adjust the peaks to appropriate levels the RMS is too low, and if I adjust the RMS to appropriate levels the peaks are too high. Any advice or tips to fix this issue? Not sure if it can be fixed at this point, but any help would be appreciated. I don't really have the luxury of re-recording 325 pages.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 AM

Using Maxim, reduce the ceiling to -3dB and lower the threshold until you get the results you want.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 AM

You need to use some compression to get you in the RMS ballpark and a decent metering plugin to gauge your levels.

Use a compressor to tame the vocal level and raise the apparent loudness to the RMS you want. Follow the compressor with a brick wall limiter with its threshold set to -3dB. You don’t need to really limit much at all. You’re using it more as a safety net to catch at stray peaks that will get you over the -3dB limit.

Personally, I’d set it to -3.5dB to prevent jntersample peaks, unless your using a True Peak limiter. Also, I’d say the -3dB requirement is more of a ‘don’t go over this level’ as opposed to they want the audio to just sit at that level.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk