Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Audio, faders and phantom power dead!

Today my Control 24-faders suddenly stopped working. No audio anymore, phantom power also gone. In utility mode the leds work, but the faders are dead. Transport still works. I know about the power-problems with the Control 24. Has this happened to me now? what now to do. I live in Holland. Any help, suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance! I'm kind of desperate.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Audio, faders and phantom power dead!

try opening backpanel removing power supply mark eack connector on mother board and on the push on connector. they will plug onto different pins. so make sure you have someway of identifing where each cable goes or your gonna have a bigger problem. mark plug with a letter and directly beside of where it goes on the board put your letter . get you a pencil eraser and clean the pins on your motherboard where each push on connector goes. .the big square flat erasers from walmart work great as you can get at all sides of the pins .once you have scrubed all the pins till they are shinny take and spray some contact cleaner you can get from radio shack on a qtip and litely coat each pin of every connector . if you have wd 40 this will work also just dont spray it on the board use a qtip .use this tip at your on risk. but i will say that after doing this i haven;t had any problems with the control 24 and that before i did this every 30 days or less it was flashing or shutting down
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM

try opening backpanel removing power supply mark eack connector on mother board and on the push on connector. they will plug onto different pins. so make sure you have someway of identifing where each cable goes or your gonna have a bigger problem. mark plug with a letter and directly beside of where it goes on the board put your letter . get you a pencil eraser and clean the pins on your motherboard where each push on connector goes. .the big square flat erasers from walmart work great as you can get at all sides of the pins .once you have scrubed all the pins till they are shinny take and spray some contact cleaner you can get from radio shack on a qtip and litely coat each pin of every connector . if you have wd 40 this will work also just dont spray it on the board use a qtip .use this tip at your on risk. but i will say that after doing this i haven;t had any problems with the control 24 and that before i did this every 30 days or less it was flashing or shutting down
Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 AM

Sounds like the PSU, have you replaced it before? If not contact digi support who will send on a replacement, assuming you have registered the C24 if not it will take a long time to sort! Here's a temporary repair which kept ours running for three months while I sorted out the registration, hope this is of some help

The PSU is a fairly standard design and the components are all off the shelf.
First check that the fuses ZF8 and 9 are blown,
Replace the following components: IC1, IC2, IC4, IC5 (voltage regulators)D7, D8, D9, D10, BR2 and the 2 associated smoothing caps.
This should restore the +/- voltage rails for the monitor and fader sections.
Make sure that you replace the fuses with the same anti surge 3.15A type as 3 amp fuses will burn out within a day. (This is probably the cause of the failure, the PSU is being run hard)
This repair allowed us to continue operating although there was a hum present on the mic pres so an external mic pre was required.
The repair is only intended as a stop gap as the PSU is continuing to run hot and many of the components are showing signs of thermal damage. Has anyone else repaired the PSU?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:49 AM

Thanks a lot Guys! My Control 24 has never been repaired or so (it's 3 years old, I bought it new). I'll try to follow your tips, but since I'm not that much of a technician, I'll keep it safe. If it works I'll tell you. Again, thanks for the friendly replies. John.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Avid

You should contact your local Digidesign Technical Support department, as they very likely will be able to help you get this up and running again.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Yes, listen to Digi support. Call them and they will send you one and you will get it the next day.
Great service, it is real easy to change. I did it in 1/2 hour and the Controller is working much better then it did before. It even fix the monitoring problems I was having.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, listen to Digi support. Call them and they will send you one and you will get it the next day.
Great service, it is real easy to change. I did it in 1/2 hour and the Controller is working much better then it did before. It even fix the monitoring problems I was having.

LOL. I was at Guitar Center the other day asking some questions about the C24, and mentioned the Power Suupply issue. The rep I asked said, (NOT KNOWING THAT I BEEN READING THIS FORUM) that he has changed them before and he charges $1,200.00usd! lol. He said the reason being is that he has to take the whole board apart and has to disconnect the wires inside, and even cut and resolder some...lollol. Money Hungry Bastard.
Thank God for the internet and Forums like this. To all the gullable people Beware of these music retail store employees. I was going to get him to design/build a layout for my new studio, but he messed that lil money up for himself. Respect.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 AM

Thanx everyone. A Digi-dealer nearby has arranged a new powersupply for me from DIGI (for free, only the repaircosts). They send the unit to Holland (hope this wont take to long). Sounds like great service from DIGI.
All responses on my question again proves the need of this forum!

Thanks again!

John