Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 AM

Default I cant hear parts I'm punching in!

I recently changed to the Focusrite 2i4 as my interface, (Pro tools 9.0.6, Windows 7,32bit). When I attempt to punch in, I can't hear the part I am punching in but I hear playback of previously recorded tracks! I have Pt's set for TRACKS, INPUT ONLY monitoring and as I understand this will automatically switch to AUTO INPUT when I punch in. I have the 2i4 set up for no latency playback, mono record. I sincerely hope that this is something I am doing wrong and not something the people at Focusrite overlooked in their zeal to develop the no latency monitoring feature. Please someone enlighten me. Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Re: I cant hear parts I'm punching in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I recently changed to the Focusrite 2i4 as my interface, (Pro tools 9.0.6, Windows 7,32bit). When I attempt to punch in, I can't hear the part I am punching in but I hear playback of previously recorded tracks! I have Pt's set for TRACKS, INPUT ONLY monitoring and as I understand this will automatically switch to AUTO INPUT when I punch in. I have the 2i4 set up for no latency playback, mono record. I sincerely hope that this is something I am doing wrong and not something the people at Focusrite overlooked in their zeal to develop the no latency monitoring feature. Please someone enlighten me. Thanks
Unless I am missing something, you understand it incorrectly. Input only is just that. You ONLY hear the input of any record-enabled track(very handy for rehearsing a part, before recording it). Select Auto-Input monitoring for recording and punching in. But(the big "BUT"), does the Focusrite have something in its software that is maybe fighting what PT is trying to do? I ask because I am not quite sure what happens with 3rd party interfaces. Also, on the EDIT window, Input-Only is shown by a small green square "LED" just to the right of the Transport buttons at the top of the window.

Maybe hit youtube and see if there are any videos showing punch recording with the Scarlett You also may be better off bypassing the Focusrite software and dropping the buffer to 64 or 128. Hopefully, someone that has that interface can offer up some real experience

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 AM

Thanks albee for offering insight. To be honest I think my understanding of input only and auto input monitoring is a bit confused. Today I will attempt to punch in a part again by selecting AUTO INPUT and hope it works. Thus far I've been carefully watching the EDIT screen and jumping in by just listening to the other tracks. Not a recommended way I know! My only other question on this is, When I select TRACK in the toolbar, either AUTO INPUT or INPUT ONLY are the two options and they toggle each time I select either/or. Do I just look for the GREEN indicator you described to be sure I'm in the right mode? I don't mean to make this more complicated than it appears to be. That's just how my confused mind works!. My apologies to Focusrite if I've cast doubt on their interface.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 AM

When you select TRACK, and it currently shows INPUT ONLY, then you are in AUTO INPUT mode, and vice versa. Kind of confusing, but whatever option shows up, is the option you would be switching TO if selected. This is true for other selections in PT also.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM

Thank you mslackeridge for clearing that up for me. Although I find no logic in it, now I at least understand it. However, that still leaves the original reason for my post. I can't hear the part I am attempting to punch in! Can anyone out there who has a good grasp on Focusrite interfaces possibly help me get past this? Frustrated! Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Until someone has "the real" solution, this might be a work-around. I'm assuming you want to punch in and you either can't hear BEFORE you go into record, or can't hear what you are actually recording?

Create a new audio track and select Auto-Input monitoring. If you are able to hear the old tracks, and the new track, just highlight the part you are replacing and either delete it, or separate that region(clip) and hit Ctrl-M to mute it. Once you record new audio, just copy and paste the new onto the original track. Hopefully this will let you get some music down

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM

I still can't get the Footswitch punch-in to work with PT 11 and a 003. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Obviously there is a "Punch-In" issue with this version of PT

I wonder when someone from AVID is going to weigh in on this??!?!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
I still can't get the Footswitch punch-in to work with PT 11 and a 003. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Obviously there is a "Punch-In" issue with this version of PT

I wonder when someone from AVID is going to weigh in on this??!?!
This should have been a separate thread as it is unrelated to the OP's issue. Could be the incorrect setting in prefs. Could be the incorrect kind of switch(needs to be momentary/N.O.).

Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Focusrite

Hi Terry,

Let me try and clear up some of these questions.

Okay first the 2i4 has no Mixer software. It has a knob on the front for Direct Monitor.

If you turn the knob to the left you are hearing the inputs directly to the outputs. Picture a line going straight from the Mic input to the headphone cord, without going up the USB cable at all. That is the Input side, left.

If you turn the knob to the right you are hearing the Playback from the computer, so the audio coming out of PT, down the USB cable to the headphones.

If you are hearing previously recorded music it is coming from Pro Tools. There is no possible way for the Interface's Direct Monitoring to cause you to hear pre-recorded music when you should not. This is a setting in Pro Tools causing Playback when you do not want it.

So let's set the Direct Monitor Knob all the way to the right, or Playback side and address how you do Input Monitoring and Punching in PT. I'm going to use PT 10.

In Pro Tools Track Menu choose Auto Input Monitoring. This will allow you to hear pre-recorded parts on the armed track when the playhead is playing and go to Input Monitoring when you punch.

You will hear the Input when you are stopped.

Arm your track and set the record to QuickPunch.

Hit space bar to play, you will notice the input go silent.

Hit 3 to punch in, you will hear the Input Monitor.

Hit 3 again to punch out, you will hear the Input go silent again, as you are now hearing the playback.

If you want to NOT hear the old recording on that track go to Track > Input Only Monitoring. That will have you ONLY hearing INPUT rather than switching back and forth Automatically.

Note that this is all with the Direct Monitor from the 2i4 off. If you turn the Knob to the center you will hear the playback and input all the time. So if you use Auto Input Monitoring you will hear the Direct Input and Playback when you are in Play but not Punched in yet. This is Likely what you are experiencing that is bothering you. This could be a benefit for some users, like a guitar player who wants to play along with a previously recorded solo until a punch, but also hear the live feed.

For your purposes try Input Only Monitoring.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Kat

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 AM

Katherine. Thanks for your explanation. I'll try this as soon as my basement studio temp rises to above 32 degrees! (Just kidding). Seriously, I will print your explanation and follow it step by step. I'm on PT's 9 and I have never used QUICK PUNCH. I just select PUNCH RECORD from the OPTIONS menu and then Alt. Click 2 bars or so back on the track for a lead in to the track that I want to record over. I assume this is the same as in Pro Tools 10.