Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Why does dialog on many DVD\'s sound so low?

Hi everyone,

Is it just me or do others have this problem?

I know this has to do with how surround sound is downmixed for stereo, but I'd like to know the specifics. It sounds like the center dialog channel is not downmixing loud enough.

When playing many commercial DVD's, using the RCA outs to either my standard TV set or patched into my stereo (I don't have a surround system), dialog sounds VERY low. We just got the DVD of Disney's Enchanted for my daughter. It is such a drag to pay for a new disc and not to be able to hear it properly! On the DVD audio setup menu I can choose Dolby surround or DTS, but there's no dedicated stereo mix. So the surround mixes have to be downmixed. BTW both the Dolby & DTS tracks have this problem.

So how does the downmix happen? Are the downmix levels decided in advance? Or is it my DVD player that 'decides' on the downmix levels?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Why does dialog on many DVD\'s sound so low?

how is your DVD player setup for audio? (does it has a setting for 2.0 only?)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 PM

hey Craig,

Thanks for the tip.

I found a manual for my DVD player online and discovered the custom settings. There's a DVD downmix setting which I must have changed from the default setting of 'Dolby Surround' to 'Normal'. The manual's kind of confusing about the differences here. IAC the default 'Dolby Surround' setting did the trick. I also turned on the Dynamic Range Control (DRC) so that the levels aren't so dynamic. Now it sounds fine!

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM

This is the curse of multiple and ever changing formats. Very few people have the luxury to afford a properly set up system or the know how to do it themselves. Most manufacturers flunk the intuitive design class.

There's the interview with the M.I.T. Engineering PHD who had to call the geek squad to configure his surround system. His specialty was in user interface design.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX