Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-17-2021, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Okay, so I like Dark Mode but...

Can you post a pic? Happy to be wrong on this.

I thought you altered the GUI though, no?
Old 04-17-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
We need the same option that Logic has to change the background of the MIDI piano roll editor and main Edit window to Light Background, while still in Dark Mode. Then you get the benefits of a muted interface, but when there's editing to do, you can see what you're doing.

I can't see sh*t in PT's MIDI edit window. Come on guys...nice first and second attempts, but we all got work to do.

See the comparison here:
I've been using the updated dark mode since it came out and haven't noticed any such issues with the pno editor, and certainly not the edit window. I agree that it seems like a monitor configured darkly, or a monitor profile that's not ideal.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:44 PM

Please post a screenshot using the colors I used...
Old 04-18-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Can you post a pic? Happy to be wrong on this.

I thought you altered the GUI though, no?
I already posted a grab of my MIDI editor screen; here's another. Yes I did change some of the gui elements but nothing in the MIDI editor screen. I did lighten the overall canvas background in the Edit screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI Editor.jpg (38.7 KB, 0 views)

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-18-2021 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:10 AM

In investigating this I found an anomaly with the MIDI editor screen and the colors. Like I did when I was making the initial dark mode file changes I'd look at a line that seemed logical to change for what I wanted to happen. This time I looked at the lines around:
ctrackMIDIbackgroundunvoiced dark
ctrackMIDIbackgroundunvoiced light
Changes to these above two didn't seem to show anything onscreen

However when I looked at these lines:
ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced dark
ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced light
And made changes to the first line it made a huge difference in visibility of notes in the MIDI editor screen. Where the anomaly comes in is when looking at existing MIDI in either MIDI or Instrument tracks the change doesn't show. But if I create a new MIDI or Instrument track and either create new MIDI notes or drag in MIDI from another track it shows the change to the file.

Specifically I changed ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced dark from:
to:
to make the visibility change.

Here's a screengrab with the change made to the above line on a new track:

More when I know more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI editor 2.jpg (58.8 KB, 0 views)

QAPLA!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I have no problem seeing the notes in dark mode in the MIDI editor. Keep in mind a lot of visibility depends on what color the track is. Attached is a screengrab of a MIDI drum track where the track is a golden brown color. Notes perfectly visible.

BTW - your MIDI editor screen looks nothing like what I see in PT 2021.3.1 Which PT version are you using?
When using certain colors in the midi editor notes on black keys appear brighter than those on white keys. This is very confusing. It would be better to have the track color for the white keys and always black for the black keys (# and b).
Old 04-18-2021, 09:47 AM

Wow, that's a lot better, and you picked a note color that doesn't usually read too well.

For sure everything depends on what color the track is, as you say, so I may have to switch my prefs from random colors to a set color for all MIDI tracks. (Oh, but then I can't display multiple tracks in the MIDI editor with each track a diff color.)

My monitor brightness (Apples 27" Thunderbolt Display) and is fully calibrated.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
When using certain colors in the midi editor notes on black keys appear brighter than those on white keys. This is very confusing. It would be better to have the track color for the white keys and always black for the black keys (# and b).
Can't say that I've seen the difference you're talking about and I use all manner of different colors so I should have seen it.
Quote:
Wow, that's a lot better, and you picked a note color that doesn't usually read too well.

For sure everything depends on what color the track is, as you say, so I may have to switch my prefs from random colors to a set color for all MIDI tracks. (Oh, but then I can't display multiple tracks in the MIDI editor with each track a diff color.)

My monitor brightness (Apples 27" Thunderbolt Display) and is fully calibrated.
I set each track color individually so I can display multiple tracks in the MIDI editor with each track a different color. Where I have an issue is if I have multiple tracks of the same color. For instance I tend to color string tracks greenish, brass tracks reddish, etc. But I only do that after I have all my MIDI notes entered.

As far as some colors not reading well that depends on several factors: brightness & contrast of the screen, room light and color sensitivity. For instance my wife is extremely sensitive to color differences and she picks out things other people might not see. And that's across the color spectrum.

I know you've seen the last screen grab I posted - like I said it looks nothing like your MIDI editor screen. The header for instance is WAY different than mine. I even put back the original dark mode file thinking there was a glitch in mine but it's still the same (aka different than yours). So it's NOT something in my file. BTW when i installed 2020.3 and then 2020.3.1 I liked what Avid did for the track display and grid lines in the Edit screen I left them alone and didn't change them like I did in my first modded dark mode file. If you want my file drop me an email at a regular email address and I'll send it to you.

QAPLA!
Old 04-18-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In investigating this I found an anomaly with the MIDI editor screen and the colors. Like I did when I was making the initial dark mode file changes I'd look at a line that seemed logical to change for what I wanted to happen. This time I looked at the lines around:
ctrackMIDIbackgroundunvoiced dark
ctrackMIDIbackgroundunvoiced light
Changes to these above two didn't seem to show anything onscreen

However when I looked at these lines:
ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced dark
ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced light
And made changes to the first line it made a huge difference in visibility of notes in the MIDI editor screen. Where the anomaly comes in is when looking at existing MIDI in either MIDI or Instrument tracks the change doesn't show. But if I create a new MIDI or Instrument track and either create new MIDI notes or drag in MIDI from another track it shows the change to the file.

Specifically I changed ctrackMIDIbackgroundvoiced dark from:
to:
to make the visibility change.

Here's a screengrab with the change made to the above line on a new track:

More when I know more.
That looks great Unfortunately I am out of town (not at my studio ) and won't be back for at least two weeks. But I am going to save that number and give it a try when I get back ...

Again not at my studio but I also do not remember the black key lines being the track color in the midi editor ??

I also set the midi track color to what the VI instrument is . Drums brown , Keyboards bright light green, Strings yellow, Bass dark purple , etc. And they all show fine in multi track in the midi editor ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-18-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
That looks great Unfortunately I am out of town (not at my studio ) and won't be back for at least two weeks. But I am going to save that number and give it a try when I get back ...

Again not at my studio but I also do not remember the black key lines being the track color in the midi editor ??

I also set the midi track color to what the VI instrument is . Drums brown , Keyboards bright light green, Strings yellow, Bass dark purple , etc. And they all show fine in multi track in the midi editor ???
Different colored tracks show ok in the MIDI editor. I think there's something weird with the MIDI editor that SomeOtherGuy is showing. I keep asking why his looks really different than mine and he doesn't answer.

QAPLA!