Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2003, 08:59 PM

Default help configuring two internal hard drives

i have an 80gb primary drive that i installed pro tools 5.3.1 on and just installed another 80gb drive. i left the pin settings as "cable select". when i open up pro tools and try to use the new hard drive to record on, it doesn't show it as an option. i don't really know what i'm doing, can anyone tell me how to set up my computer settings and such? thanks.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:38 PM

Default Re: help configuring two internal hard drives

Assuming that cable select is a valid setting for your setup, here's what you need to do:

Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage. Then click Disk Management in the left pane of the Computer Management window. Now you should see a list in the lower right pane of the window that lists all of your physical drives as Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc.. Your new drive should be listed there and should show that it has no partitions. You should also see your system drive with its partition(s) listed. Right-click in the area for the new drive where the partition should be listed, and you should be presented with a choice to create a new partition. Create one. It shouldn't matter whether it's a Primary or Extended partition (I prefer my non-system partitions to be extended). If you choose Extended partition you will also need to create a Logical Drive in the Extended Partition. Once the partition(s) is created you need to Format the partition.

Being that it's an 80GB drive, WinXP will only allow it to be formatted with NTFS. NTFS should work fine. Choose 32k for Allocation Unit Size. Once the format is complete you should be able to use your new drive.

By the way... If you're using XP Pro make sure you DO NOT create a Dynamic disk (or dynamic volume, or whatever terminology is used.) Dynamic volumes don't work with PT!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-01-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: help configuring two internal hard drives

excellent....thanks a lot.