Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Default Avid drops Pro Tools reinstatement on 01-01-2020

I received a mail from my dealer today stating that Avid drops Pro Tools reinstatement on 01-01-2020.

So if you are too late to buy a next year of your Software Updates + Support Plan you will not be able to reinstate it anymore. You will be forced to buy a new full version of the Pro Tools software (at the full price) or you will need to go the subscription route (or keep using your perpetual license without further software updates indefinitely).

I do not know if the one month grace period remains active, but I guess not.

Also, I checked my Avid account today: it seems the auto-renewal option for my Software Updates + Support Plan for my Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual license has disappeared.

So now you need to check it yourself and put a note in your agenda to remember to buy a new year of Software Updates + Support Plan.

Actually I wonder if Avid will send me mail with a warning to buy a a new year of Software Updates + Support Plan before the current one expires.

Somehow I think they will not, hoping I will forget all about it and go the subscription route afterwards, because that is what they want everyone to do anyway.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins

Last edited by Delta Music Belgium; 11-25-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Avid drops Pro Tools reinstatement on 01-01-2020

Reckon they have had it in for us perpetual users since the latest changes. My plan has just come round and this time I am seriously thinking of letting it slide. I am in New Zealand so with the exchange rate it will cost me $623.00. So if I do... it seems now I can't get back. Don't think that will change my mind, Avid will be quietly squeezing the perpetual users out of the system anyway i think.. by making it harder or more expensive.

Les Paul Goldtop 1968 (from new)
www.larrykillip.com
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 PM

Dear Mr. Avid
as a long time Digidesign customer (since 1987) I am thoroughly disappointed - not being able to update older versions of Pro tools is serious way to anger your customers. Hey I know the Digidesign guys who all use to be musicians are are gone now, replaced by IT engineers. Hey guys guess what? regular people do not NEED to upgrade constantly MOST people upgrade when then NEED to. Having to pay a reinstatement fee (or an annual plan) maybe is a bit of slap in the face. But the ABILITY NOT TO UPGRADE and old license is a most definitely a kick in the pants. Most of your customer are Mac folks and I buy Logic Pro for $199.00 with FREE lifetime upgrades.
Your company always seems to find a way to anger your customers.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
Also, I checked my Avid account today: it seems the auto-renewal option for my Software Updates + Support Plan for my Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual license has disappeared.

So now you need to check it yourself and put a note in your agenda to remember to buy a new year of Software Updates + Support Plan.

Actually I wonder if Avid will send me mail with a warning to buy a a new year of Software Updates + Support Plan before the current one expires.

Somehow I think they will not, hoping I will forget all about it and go the subscription route afterwards, because that is what they want everyone to do anyway.
Thanks for the heads up... I just went and checked to see if my auto renewal was still on. It is, so I'll be keen to see how it ll goes.

AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Thanks for the heads up... I just went and checked to see if my auto renewal was still on. It is, so I'll be keen to see how it ll goes.
Just FYI, you can purchase a renewal during the next 6 days at 15% off through Avid and several dealers, including Sweetwater (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...petual-license) and it will be added to your existing expiry date.

Given your current plan expires in less than a month it might be worth it.

You will save almost $100 Australian.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
I checked my Avid account again and the main difference is my expiration date is Jan 01, 2020. This is the first day of Avid's new policy.

I know for sure I had auto-renewal active, so Avid cancelled this without telling me...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 11.37.06.png (58.2 KB, 0 views)

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 11-27-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
Just FYI, you can purchase a renewal during the next 6 days at 15% off through Avid and several dealers, including Sweetwater (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...petual-license) and it will be added to your existing expiry date.

Given your current plan expires in less than a month it might be worth it.

You will save almost $100 Australian.
Thanks for that!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01