Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos hardware requirement for Production/Mastering suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Well, in PT 2019.10 and with the new Dolby Audio Bridge in v3.3 you can now!
In my understanding, the DAB is only for the Production Suite, running on the same machine as PT. It´s a computer internal bussing.
For an external RMU you will need physical interface connections, either MADI or Dante, the ethernet connection for metadata and the LTC source from PT.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2023.12
Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishabou View Post
I'm using PT Ultimate with Thunderbolt Native and DAD AX32. I thought one needs 2 x HDX card to get more than 64 I/O.
Which by the way, DAD does not sell anymore (digilink expansion card) as part of the agreement on manufacturing the MTRX for AVID.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2023.12
Old 11-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Which by the way, DAD does not sell anymore (digilink expansion card) as part of the agreement on manufacturing the MTRX for AVID.
I think he might just referring to needing two HDX cards for Pro Tools. Not two digilink expansion ports on the MTRX. I could be wrong.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
In my understanding, the DAB is only for the Production Suite, running on the same machine as PT. It´s a computer internal bussing.
For an external RMU you will need physical interface connections, either MADI or Dante, the ethernet connection for metadata and the LTC source from PT.
Indeed, it's an internal bussing audio engine for the Production Suite. So no send/return structure anymore (although you can still use that setup).
This makes the step of premixing Atmos in a small room, going to a RMU equipped stage a lot faster / easier!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Indeed, it's an internal bussing audio engine for the Production Suite. So no send/return structure anymore (although you can still use that setup).
This makes the step of premixing Atmos in a small room, going to a RMU equipped stage a lot faster / easier!
Can someone elaborate what are the steps that needs to be done when going from HDX (send/return) set up to the RMU equipped Atmos stage? Can that be prepared before sending session over? How much time approximately is needed?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 AM

When using the DAB, the first step is to set the playback engine in Pro Tools to Dolby Audio Bridge. That gives you 130 output channels (in PT 2019.10+ only). The 128 are what feed the Local Renderer software(on the same computer) In the Audio setup part of the Local Renderer, you would set the Input to Dolby Audio Bridge and the Output to HDX.

You will not be able to use the send/return plug ins in this setup. You will set the output routing in the I/O page of the pro tools session to match the inputs (Beds/Objects) for the Local Renderer.

This setup is really meant for things like pre-mixes and the like. Dolby will tell you that this is not a great way to create masters.

For some of the other questions, Pro Tools can only output 32 channels of audio per Digilink port - so 64 channels per card.

The MTRX can output a ton of audio, but only functions out of the box as a 64 channel PT interface. This can be augmented with additional Digilink ports.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Can someone elaborate what are the steps that needs to be done when going from HDX (send/return) set up to the RMU equipped Atmos stage? Can that be prepared before sending session over? How much time approximately is needed?
Denver, CO
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM

So bottom line, if one uses a dedicated HT RMU, the PT Ultimate rig must use 2 x HDX cards because this is the only way to have 128 outputs, correct ?

I have a nMP with PT Ultimate (thunderbolt Native), AX32 with Digilink (same interface as MTRX, i bought it before Avid team up with DAD). I also have a spare nMP with Rednet PCIe Dante that i was thinking of using as a dedicated HT RMU. If i understand correctly, i will need 2 x HDX card and an additional Digilink card for my AX32 for it to work, correct ?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
So bottom line, if one uses a dedicated HT RMU, the PT Ultimate rig must use 2 x HDX cards because this is the only way to have 128 outputs, correct ?

I have a nMP with PT Ultimate (thunderbolt Native), AX32 with Digilink (same interface as MTRX, i bought it before Avid team up with DAD). I also have a spare nMP with Rednet PCIe Dante that i was thinking of using as a dedicated HT RMU. If i understand correctly, i will need 2 x HDX card and an additional Digilink card for my AX32 for it to work, correct ?

You require HDX2 for 128 channels of outputs from Pro Tools... but unless you are reaching for Dolby Atmos certification, I don't think you need to actually use 128 channels. 64 channels would still give you a bunch of beds and a lot of objects to mess around with!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
You require HDX2 for 128 channels of outputs from Pro Tools... but unless you are reaching for Dolby Atmos certification, I don't think you need to actually use 128 channels. 64 channels would still give you a bunch of beds and a lot of objects to mess around with!
I tend to agree with LDS. For those of us HD Native users mixing docs, dramas, un-scirpted, etc.-- 36 bed channels (3x 7.1.4) and 16 object channels and 12 for monitoring seems more than adequate... am I missing something? Otherwise we're talking HDX2, additional dig-link, et. al.--a much larger barrier to entry.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
an additional Digilink card for my AX32 for it to work, correct ?
Can't get that for the AX32. Only the MTRX supports the new digilink cards.