Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (Q) Netflix making it a requirement to deliver in audio in Atmos...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
To me that wouldn't make much sense. That would be like requiring to deliver every film in color even when it's shot in B&W.
Well, that's not a good comparison at all. It's not like an Atmos mix is requiring production audio to be recorded any different. That's still exactly the same.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (Q) Netflix making it a requirement to deliver in audio in Atmos...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Well, that's not a good comparison at all. It's not like an Atmos mix is requiring production audio to be recorded any different. That's still exactly the same.
What I meant was: why require (as in force) an Atmos mix when mono was chosen as the sound format by the director for creative reasons to give an extreme example. Of course you can deliver an Atmos master with just content on the center channel in the main bed, but that seems like overkill to me.

F.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 AM

An atmos master with content only in the center channel makes sense to me.
That would be the way to satisfy both the technical requirements and artistic vision. Now the problem would be passing QC where they might just look for activity on the meters in all channels :)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
What I meant was: why require (as in force) an Atmos mix when mono was chosen as the sound format by the director for creative reasons to give an extreme example. Of course you can deliver an Atmos master with just content on the center channel in the main bed, but that seems like overkill to me.

F.
It does make sense when you consider the point is to have a format that does the best job to recreate the intended mix in different playback environments. Including one of the most important being- headphones. You now have a single deliverable that plays in Atmos, 7.1, 5.1, Binaural, or playback in whatever bazaar version of surround sound some home user put around their room.

To your point about someone deciding to do a mono mix for creative reasons, I think if it was a creative decision, they would still need to deliver in a consistent deliverable format, and Atmos is the new deliverable. The 2011 film, The Artist, was in black and white. Does that mean it should have gone to the theaters in back and white film canisters? Instead of DVD for home viewing, maybe they should have just made VHS tapes? Super8? Even Super 8 is too good for a black and white film.

Technically, if the filmmaker is making a creative decision of making his film 'mono' then he would be able to find a creative use for techniques like 'lifting' a VO off the screen, or other subtle height tricks that still give the film a mono feel. I would see a huge advantage to using Atmos in a situation like that.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 11-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxf View Post
An atmos master with content only in the center channel makes sense to me.
That would be the way to satisfy both the technical requirements and artistic vision. Now the problem would be passing QC where they might just look for activity on the meters in all channels :)
Nope. No requirement for activity on all channels.

Can you imagine if there always had to be sound playing out the dieting, surrounds, etc. That would be exhausting.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 AM

I fully agree with you, i was joking but i did get a mix rejected by QC some years ago for no data in the sub even though it was a request during the mix.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxf View Post
I fully agree with you, i was joking but i did get a mix rejected by QC some years ago for no data in the sub even though it was a request during the mix.
That happens sometimes. I've had QC flag 'no LFE', and also 'no constant audio in the rear surrounds', or my favorite, 'music in the center channel'.

It's b.s., just use the magic words, "creative intent'.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 PM

The Atmos requirement is going to cost Netflix a lot of money. Audio post for atmos is really expensive.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
The Atmos requirement is going to cost Netflix a lot of money. Audio post for atmos is really expensive.
It's going to come out of the total budget the film was granted just like before, I suppose.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 AM

We're starting post on a Netflix Original Series project in Feb and the original specs and budget were for 5.1 deliverables - this has now been updated to Atmos. They have been kind enough to ask for a requote though.