Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 AM

Default (Q) Netflix making it a requirement to deliver in audio in Atmos...?

I have heard from some AVID folks here that they have had a lot a queries from studios in Australia about protools Atmos setup because Netflix is making it a requirement for them to deliver in Atmos now...

Just wanted to get some confirmation on that fact. Is this the case for you?

Last edited by bsteeve; 11-08-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 AM

Default Re: (Q) Netflix making it a requirement to deliver in audio in Atmos...?

Hm, not mentioned anywhere in their specs

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.c...tices-v1-1#1_1

To me that wouldn't make much sense. That would be like requiring to deliver every film in color even when it's shot in B&W.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Default Re: (Q) Netflix making it a requirement to deliver in audio in Atmos...?

That's pretty much the case here in Toronto, Netflix = Atmos.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 AM

No,
It is not mandatory.
I am mixing a Netflix Original Series now and starting another one in the new year, both in 5.1 as normal.
Atmos is certainly an option but not the only acceptable deliverable.
Home to the Trailer Park Boys, 22 Minutes and Mr D as well as many more. Need proper ADR in Nova Scotia? I'm the call to make.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Hello,

It is becoming a requirement here in Los Angeles.
H
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Interesting...
Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello,

It is becoming a requirement here in Los Angeles.
H
Just had a Netflix meeting, at least not for reality!!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Alright so there is some merit to that statement then... I mean it does make some sense that Netflix want to have more Atmos content to go with their 4k / higher price subscription model. There is no mention of this anywhere I could find.. hence why I'm asking you guys since I have not experienced myself.
Seems to be 50/50 split so far... probably very program dependent at this stage, my assumption at least
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM

It's not a requirement, but Netflix is pushing for Home Atmos more and more. I do a lot of documentary work, and there seems to be a little more leeway there at least for it to be program dependent still. There was one series project last year where Netflix's delivery specs specified Atmos and the project asked if they could deliver in 5.1 and were told that was fine. But my last Netflix documentary project we delivered in Home Atmos and it was really fun to work on and was a project that I think creatively benefited from the immersive format. (Whether or not there is a large audience actually watching in that format yet is a whole other discussion)

So long story short, at the moment at least, no it's not a mandatory requirement, but expect to see all the major streaming platforms like Netflix and Amazon pushing for it more and more until it's commonplace.

Also for what it's worth Netflix has always been great to communicate with, from my experience. When in doubt it's good to ask them questions directly, they've got good teams of people that seem dedicated to making the process and delivery as smooth as possible. Either that or I've been extremely lucky in my select projects!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:44 AM

And what about facilities that don't currently have the capital to invest in atmos and yet are producing quality content. Talk about killing people off!
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...