How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Falcon 2

Some additional info:
From my support ticket with UVI I find out that Falcon 2 will overwrite any existing install of Falcon. Also the license asset for F2 and Avid provided Falcon can coexist on the same iLok but when you have F2 there's no need to keep Avid Falcon license asset on the iLok.

Not from the support ticket but the product page itself F2 also has standalone mode which the original Falcon already has. For that reason alone going to F2 would be a good thing. The Windows installer is 600 meg and Mac .dmg is 564 meg. The factory library is 998 meg compressed ufs size. The F2 manual is also available for download from the product page.

I'm waiting until the 15th as my credit card rolls over to it's new billing period on the 14th and right now I've some hefty charges on it and don't want to put any more on there.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
As you know, some VI's out there really do have some nice sounding creative fx. It'd be nice if more allowed access to the fx like Serum or Transfuser. Omnisphere is another one with great fx, but no way to access apart from inside Omni
If you have Reaktor,
you can run audio through and use its many FX...
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 AM

Any word yet when we can expect to see Falcon 2 hit our Avid accounts?

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
If you have Reaktor,
you can run audio through and use its many FX...
True but we're talking about some of those neat ones inside Falcon like Sparkverb. One I think is not so neat is UVI's Leslie emulation - the speed ramps up and down don't sound right, not when I'm used to L'Otary from PSP.

Anymore chatter one way or the other about Falcon 2 showing up in our Avid accounts?

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
AAX64 only aswell so we can only use it in PT (...) we can’t use Falcon kn other DAW’s where midi is great and Falcon would be the reason we would use it in our Midi DAW
I think that is the main reason this freebie is available. It makes MIDI work in PT slighly more appealing and also generates sales for UVI when someone likes Falcon but really needs to use it outside PT. Free advertising for UVI, free tool for PT. Win-Win
Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think that is the main reason this freebie is available. It makes MIDI work in PT slighly more appealing and also generates sales for UVI when someone likes Falcon but really needs to use it outside PT. Free advertising for UVI, free tool for PT. Win-Win
Yes cause PT is soo awesome when it comes to midi

Dont know anyone who makes a living off music production that use PT for any midi work. They all use other DAWs as do we. Live10 Suite here and with the Push2 controller it cant even compare with PT. It is on another planet!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Got tired of waiting to see if anyone here and went for Falcon (pre F2) while also having the Avid supplied Falcon. Purchase went okay from the UVI site (Audio Deluxe isn't discounting F2) and using UVI Portal install and authorization went okay including using ILM. Picked my 2 expansions (Ether Wave Fields (Simon Stockhausen) and Devinity (Richard Devine). All INstalled and authorized no problem. Got my $100 voucher frim UVI and picked Model D (Steinway D piano) and Energy (Digital Keyboards Synergy out of Crumar GDS) leaving $2 on the table.

Installing F2 overwrites any existing install of Falcon including the Avid supplied version. I deactivated the iLok license asset for the Avid supplied Falcon. F2 sees the libraries that got installed with the Avid version including the Avid supplied one. Everything worked okay with F2 automatically replacing the original Falcon in any PT session.

Haven't spent much time evaluating all the nuances of F2 versus F1; more on that later when real life doesn't enter into the picture. In an earlier post I mentioned that with Falcon (and now F2) there's also a standalone version. Not surprisingly the standalone does not see the Avid supplied patch collection nor does it see any multis or individual patches saved with the Avid version. Not tried it in my other daw (Digital Performer 9.52) but have no reason to think I would be able to see anything done in the Avid supplied Falcon.

I've worked with the Avid version so I kind of knew some things going in to F2 so the ecosystem is familiar. And I have to say, at least for me, that Falcon and F2 are a damned sight easier/more logical to get around than Avenger or Synthmaster.

More when I can spend more time with it but as I said earlier real life is intruding - got to get new wheels/tires on my Jeep (our only vehicle) and some work around the house taken care of.

My verdict for now - best $244 US I've spent in a long time.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:30 PM

Thanks Jack. I was not overly excited about Avenger after trying the demo. Nice features, but pricey and the expansions are way too much imho. F2 has some really great features from what I’ve seen so far from the vids. Looking forward to getting it. For now I’ll take the Avid version because I don’t need a stand alone and don’t plan on not keeping my subscription to PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks Jack. I was not overly excited about Avenger after trying the demo. Nice features, but pricey and the expansions are way too much imho. F2 has some really great features from what I’ve seen so far from the vids. Looking forward to getting it. For now I’ll take the Avid version because I don’t need a stand alone and don’t plan on not keeping my subscription to PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually Avenger isn't all that expensive compared to other synths - it's the expansion packs which average around $75 IIRC. And with the upcoming 1.5 update they're changing their authorization scheme from a software key to a dongle; I believe they're going with the Ignition key which would mean a third dongle on my system. That and the more I do with Avenger the more I find it a one trick pony which I thought I could bend to my will but that's a pain in the rump.

I'm not on a PT subscription but the yearly renewal permanent license and I don't plan on paying the Avid tax next year. That meant getting F2.

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
picked Model D (Steinway D piano)
that isn't actually half bad. it is only 700MB compared to 49GB of Ivory D -- of course I'd do final stuff with Ivory, but the UVI plays well and translates pretty okay to Ivory so not much need to be tweaked (if you do demo with UVI and final with Ivory)