Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM

Default Mac High Sierra release date Monday 9/25/2017

Just saw this announcement. Over all pleased with Sierra. Wonder if anyone has been running any beta versions of this? Definitely do a time machine backup first! Some of the features look interesting. Peter
Old 09-23-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Mac High Sierra release date Monday, 9\25\17.

Sounds like it's going to be a big improvement, but I expect some big bugs at first.

That and an entirely new file system sounds like a great way to cause issues with Pro Tools.

I definitely want to give this one time for both macOS and PT patches before trying it!

It has had some positive findings from people on here though:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392136
Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Just saw this announcement. Over all pleased with Sierra. Wonder if anyone has been running any beta versions of this? Definitely do a time machine backup first! Some of the features look interesting. Peter
And what features look intersting? I can't see any reason Pro Tools users should be rushing to upgrade to High Sierra.

Time machine? Anybody risking being at the bleeding edge of OS X releases and relying on Time Machine deserve all the downtime they get.

And nobody should be trying stuff out by upgrading a running system. If you want to be at the bleeding edge, do a clean install on a spare drive or partition and leave your current system boot image alone and a reboot to recover away.

And bootable image backups made just in case with Carbon Copy Cloner or similar.

Ironically eventually High Sierra APFS should help provide a real base for a robust version of time machine. Eventually, once APFS gets stabilized and supported across non-FLASH storage, etc. I'd be hesitant to run on APFS without a great reason.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:04 PM

And a reminder to download the Sierra installer, in case anyone wishes to roll back.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 PM

"I can't see any reason Pro Tools users should be rushing to upgrade to High Sierra.

Time machine? Anybody risking being at the bleeding edge of OS X releases and relying on Time Machine deserve all the downtime they get.

And nobody should be trying stuff out by upgrading a running system. If you want to be at the bleeding edge, do a clean install on a spare drive or partition and leave your current system boot image alone and a reboot to recover away.

And bootable image backups made just in case with Carbon Copy Cloner or similar.

Ironically eventually High Sierra APFS should help provide a real base for a robust version of time machine. Eventually, once APFS gets stabilized and supported across non-FLASH storage, etc. I'd be hesitant to run on APFS without a great reason.
"
Agree. Nicely said.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:02 PM

Be aware - I don't think it works with macs that have fusion drives

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Here is a good link to info the subject.

https://blog.macsales.com/42316-upda...-compatibility
Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM

And APFS is a special reason why users need to be careful. If you upgrade to High Sierra and have a flash boot drive it will get upgraded to APFS. You have no control over this. If you have problems due to APFS you can’t roll that back to HFS+ you have to go do a full restore. Many users with MacBook Pros and Mac Pros who are recording to the internal flash drive today should be especially careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtlaw View Post
Be aware - I don't think it works with macs that have fusion drives
This is a major point, and it's not going to get a lot of press from Apple (seeing how they pushed Fusion technology pretty hard for a while), but this could screw with a lot of people, not just ProTools users. But, yeah, also ProTools users. If you have a fusion drive, don't be the guinea pig for High Sierra. I suspect that it could be a particularly difficult downgrade back to Sierra if you pull the trigger too early.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And APFS is a special reason why users need to be careful. If you upgrade to High Sierra and have a flash boot drive it will get upgraded to APFS. You have no control over this. If you have problems due to APFS you can’t roll that back to HFS+ you have to go do a full restore. Many users with MacBook Pros and Mac Pros who are recording to the internal flash drive today should be especially careful.
I have a MacPro and MacBookPro. What's the concern with their internal drives? I'd only heard that Fusion owners need to beware (and I thought those drives simply didn't get the upgraded file system and instead stay with HFS+).