How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Codec error on video import

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
For some reason all of the files on my system drive loaded into PT no problem, so I tried moving all my quicktime movies to the system drive and now they all work. Ones that were giving me the codec error off a data drive work fine off the system drive.
What permissions does the data drive have when viewed in PT workspace? If you're pulling audio or video from it, you'll want it set to P for playback only or R for playback and record.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Hi there,
I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else here with Pro Tools 11.3.1. Right now whenever I try to load a video into a session the video window and thumbnails show up blank. When I start playback, playback either doesn't start (the stop button on the transport stays illuminated and the play button blinks on and off) which is followed by a "The video engine is unable to create thumbnails for the video track" error message or, playback starts but the video window is blank. When I stop playback I get several error messages saying "There was a problem stopping pro tools". When I try to quit the session a status bar appears saying "waiting for video operation to complete" which takes several seconds to finish before the session actually closes. At times I'm also greeted by an error message saying something about missing codecs in the video file, pt then doesn't let me import video at all.

I've spent 2 days combing over troubleshooting fixes, installing a whole bunch of new quicktime component files, enabling and disabling the video engine, clean uninstalls of 10 and 11 (I have them co-installed), set my drive permissions to record in the workspace, trashed all my preferences and converted video files to supported formats/codecs as well as everyhting else listed on this post but nothing yet. All these video files seem to work perfectly in PT 10 but I really need to be able to use the offline bounce feature in 11 with video.

If anyone can help me out with this it would be much appreciated, this thing is driving me bonkers! Ha ha.

I'm running a late 2009 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
OSX 10.8.5
12 gigs of ram
3.06 GHz

Thanks!!!

Best,
Simon
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMiminis View Post

I'm running a late 2009 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
You may be out of luck.

I had the same problems (although I don't remember now whether or not I got the CODEC errors, everything else you describe is identical to what I experienced) with my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro.

After days of searching for a solution I came across something on Avid's web site that said the Avid Video Engine is not compatible with the Core 2 Duo CPU "in certain older Macs." That was when I gave up trying.

I don't know absolutely for certain that CPU incompatibility is the issue, but it seems very likely. Even more so now that I see you're having the same problem with a similar CPU.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Damn, that sucks,
Thanks though! You saved me days of pondering and troubleshooting in vain. I just found this article confirming what you said https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co..._video_engine/ .

He has links to a sweetwater article that essentially says the same thing. Apparently the PT 11 video engine only works with the i5 chip and up which they were manufacturing for the 27" late 2009 imacs (I'm using the 21.5 ").

Argh! Thanks a lot Avid...

Logic it is then...
Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Hello all I seem to be having the same issue.
I am using PT 11.3.1, and a MacPro6,1 running OS 10.10.5. And I have tried manually uninstalling PT twice, and reinstalling it, as well as reinstalling the AVID codec's both from the instal disk and from a download directly from AVID's website. I have tried using both PT Aggregate IO and my audio interface "Saffire". Incase it is relevant the GPU's are AMD FirePro D300 and 16GB of ram. And every time I have tried to install one of multiple supposedly supported formats (according to avid's website/documentation the video formats/codecs I used are supported) I continually get the same error. "Unable to link to file "file name.mov" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported." Is there a place that the codecs should be (I noticed some mentions of removing files from /library/application support/avid/AVX2_Plug-ins/AMA. I don't have any file here. Is that wrong)? Any other ideas what may be going on with my system? I have never installed Media Composer, but I do have Adobe's CC and CS6 installed on my system. Thanks you all for your assistance.
Edit 10.16.2015: After calling AVID tech support, everything started magically working again as soon as I started talking with them, so... problem resolved? Maybe there was no issue, and I was just foolish and didn't transcode the video properly, IDK.

Last edited by falcowe; 10-16-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:38 AM

Hello,
Hello,

I work on a pc (Core i7 5820K; 32Go RAM, RME fireface UC) with pro Tools 12 and i can't import video when the video engine is activated ( I tried all sort of codec (H.264 etc...) . When I try to import a video with the video engine activated, I have the message : "liaison au fichier impossible en raison d'un codec manquant ou d'un type de fichier non pris en compte". (Unable to link to file "<file name>" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported)

In log file, I have: "20160102104947 Open I/O did not discover any plug-ins"

WHen the video engine is not activated, I can import a video but without thumbnails and when I try to play the video, the window is black.

what's wrong with my pro Tools?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM

Hi Same here
I did download again Pt 11.3 and the CODEC fiel I assume needed ot open a .MOV file
I get an error message that I have no CODEC
Can someone address this?
itzhak
Old 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM

I was having this problem and had checked everything else only to realise that the disk I was importing the video file from had a '+' in it that Pro Tools didn't like!

Changed that and it works now, on one computer at least...
I thought I'd share it just in case it helps anyone.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Hi, i got this problem with pro tools 2019.10, i tried to import a video and show this messege "unable to link to file xname.mov due to either a missing codec or the file may be unsupported pro tools 2019", i got mac sierra 10.12.6, does anybody know how to fix it?