Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Default hd native + apogee symphony?

hi guys, can i hook up an apogee symphony (new model) with hd native? or only works with hd core?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Re: hd native + apogee symphony?

found the answer:

Because the new Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe card offers legacy support for Digidesign 192 interfaces, Symphony I/O should connect and perform without issue while running in Pro Tools HD Audio Interface Mode. We will confirm this once the Pro Tools | HD Native card is available. (posted 10/08/2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlees View Post
hi guys, can i hook up an apogee symphony (new model) with hd native? or only works with hd core?
Please let us know if you have any news on this as I am interested in a similar setup. Thanks =)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Why would anyone want to do this? Why not just the Symphony with PT9? So you would have 2 cards??
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM

I think he means using the new Symphony IO directly hooked to the HD Native card, to use with Protools, instead of an Avid/Digi interface.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I think he means using the new Symphony IO directly hooked to the HD Native card, to use with Protools, instead of an Avid/Digi interface.
Ah, yes I see thanks...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM

My question is whether it is absolutely necessary to have an AVID i/o, or can an HD Native system run with only a Thunderbolt Apogee Symphony as an i/o?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougConner View Post
My question is whether it is absolutely necessary to have an AVID i/o, or can an HD Native system run with only a Thunderbolt Apogee Symphony as an i/o?
snipped erroneous information

Don't forget that with an HD Native card you also have to buy an Avid interface as part of the bundle as they haven't been sold without i/o boxes in a long time.

Edit: ignore most of the above because I was writing for two different threads at about the same time and got my wires crossed. What I will stand by is having to buy an HD Native card and Avid interface as a bundle from any reputable dealer like Sweetwater, Vintage King, whomever. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 01-09-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: wrong info in original post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM

I am running HD Native Card with PT HD 10.3.2 and Apogee Symphony configured 32 input/16 out. Running perfectly. PT see's it as an HD I/O. No issues at all setting it up either, worked right out of the box. The real benefit to the Symphony is the Ca$h I saved for the configuration i wanted. 32 In with Avid I/O would have cost me over 8 Grand! But the Symphony configured to my needs only cost a tad over 5. And Its sounds Awesome to boot!!! Oh and to Jack, I did not HAVE to buy my PT HD Native with any Avid I/O. I found mine new in box sans the Avid interface from a reputable dealer on Ebay.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino1108 View Post
I am running HD Native Card with PT HD 10.3.2 and Apogee Symphony configured 32 input/16 out. Running perfectly. PT see's it as an HD I/O. No issues at all setting it up either, worked right out of the box. The real benefit to the Symphony is the Ca$h I saved for the configuration i wanted. 32 In with Avid I/O would have cost me over 8 Grand! But the Symphony configured to my needs only cost a tad over 5. And Its sounds Awesome to boot!!! Oh and to Jack, I did not HAVE to buy my PT HD Native with any Avid I/O. I found mine new in box sans the Avid interface from a reputable dealer on Ebay.
Most of my post was in error and I regret that as I was posting to two different threads at about the same time and got my wires crossed. But what I will stand by is my assertion about having to buy an HD Native card and Avid interface as a bundle. I don't care what any Ebay dealer does as they are often not legitimate. You go to any normal online dealer like Sweetwater, Vintage King, whomever and you can only buy the HD Native card with an Avid interface. At one time early on you could but the HD Native card without an Avid interface but that changed just a couple of months after the HD Native card was introduced.

What the Ebay dealer probably did was to split the bundle and sold the card separate from the interface.

QAPLA!