Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 04-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Crossgrade LE to M-Powered

Is there crossgrade from LE to M-Powered? If you already have LE but want to move to one of the M-Audio interfaces, do you have to pay the full price for M-Powered?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Crossgrade LE to M-Powered

Yes - you have to buy the exact same software (bar the splash screen)
that you already own again for rrp $349 to let you use an alternative audio
interface made by the very same company - the phrase "rip off" comes
to mind.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Administrator

As we explained in a previous post in this forum...

There is no sidegrade from your Pro Tools LE software license for your Digidesign hardware to Pro Tools M-Powered software for M-Audio hardware.

The Pro Tools LE and TDM software licenses are "single use" licenses tied to the individual hardware unit.

For instance, if you have 2 Mbox units, and both have Pro Tools LE 5.x software, you would need to purchase 2 upgrades to go to Pro Tools 6.x if you wanted PTLE 6 on both. One Pro Tools license per Digidesign hardware unit. You can use that license on multiple computers, but only with the hardware that license was purchased for. Any other use is a violation of the Pro Tools license agreement.

Pro Tools M-Powered is different, in that it is a single sofware license that can be used with any of 5 M-Audio interfaces. Since it can only be used with one interface at a time, the license agreement allows it to be used with more than one interface. M-Audio owners are buying the Pro Tools M-Powered software for that hardware for the first time, not upgrading an existing Pro Tools license for that hardware, since one did not exist before.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:59 PM

You got me confused a little bit .

We have 3 LE Systems.
x2 Mboxes
x1 002R

All with the same software versions licensed.

Now I have my laptop for example.
We use the same copy/serial number when connected to the 002R or Mbox.
Is that a violation? if so the license is kinda limiting and the ability to switch 002R/Mbox on some scenarios is awesome...
?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Administrator

"Is that a violation?"

Not if all three LE hardware systems are licensed for the same version of Pro Tools. A license violation would be if you had 2 systems licensed for Pro Tools LE 6.0-6.4, and one licensed for Pro Tools LE 6.7-6.9, and used 6.7-6.9 on all 3 hardware systems without upgrading the license for the other 2.

Otherwise, a facility with 100 Pro Tools systems would only need to purchase one upgrade for $75. As explained, Pro Tools LE and TDM software is a single use license for that hardware only.

And M-Powered software is not, because it uses an iLok authorization that only allows it to be used on one system at a time.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:06 AM

Hi there.

Ok, i've read this thread and I still have questions and comments about this license / crossgrade topic. Basically, I am just STRONGLY ASKING for an update / patch, in order for me to use my PT LE with my Audiophile!!! Have me buy a dongle if you must!!! 20$ to 75$ is OK for me, NOT a couple of hundreds. Would I Be violating a license If a were to use my LEGAL (of course) Audiophile with my registered copy of LE?? I think not.

I bought both products before M-powered got announced! And I want to stick with my full featured PT LE. PERIOD!!!! And I really do not want to mess around a DEMO to test and fool around. For me it is just plain waste of time!

First, here is my situation / configuration:

I Bought a DIGI 002 - PT LE in 2002

I then bought a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 in 2003 (because of too many problems with the digidesign WAVE an ASIO drivers at the time In order to work with SONY and Cakewalk's softs that I also bought before PT. THINK ABOUT THIS... just because some driver-writing work had to go thru some "real life testing" (and this takes time), I had to buy a competitors's product. For instance, DIGI'S ASIO driver appeared after SONAR, wright? So it was digi's problem to make it work with that product. If DIGI chooses not to go thru that process completly, then I would appreciate that DIGI stops to put any other mention of Cakewalk in it's "development partners" catalog thing... whole new topic here, wright? I'm stopping it here.)

Now, back to my historic.... AVID bought M-Audio.

My reaction was: "Hey, i'll may be able to finally use my Audiophile with PT LE" (not the M thing...) Not yet it seems.

NOW READ THIS ONE

My 002's power supply just gave up on me yesterday (known issue with the first generation 002). I have a 16 tracks / 180 minutes live show to edit into a 60 minutes radio show. I want to mix the thing in a studio I am working with, wich is using PT TDM 6.4.1. It had to be ready for today, 3 PM.

Now, I am forced to edit in SONAR 2.2, re-bounce and export the individual and edited 16 tracks (no possibility for OMF here, as this session would exceed the 2 gb limit... I may try to split the session in parts of 8 tracks though... should work.) And finally, import the edited tracks in PT LE to prepare my session for TDM 6.4.1

How's that for workflow?? Now, just imagine me using my PT LE with my Audiophile 2406 to do my edits and prepare my session for TDM, whithout complications.

I know that the PT 5.x.x to the soon to be 7.0 versions was a though transition time for DIGI , as many transitions are usually. But I've stuck with PT, thinking I would get improvements in compatibility for my home setup and be compatible with many broadcast studios.

Will I be rewarded for my faith? I had to ask for credit to get a new PC with PT to start to work seriously, now anybody can get PT for 350$...

PLEAZZZZE... I want that patch for LE, and sort out the licence as you like. To switch to M-PT is an abolute no-go for me.

IF I choose, IF, to switch or crossgrade systems, it would be to a VEGAS 6.0 with an mackie ONYX firewire... completing my SONY setup. (I said IF...) I would rather put 500$ 1000$ for the AV toolkit or something...

Thanks for your time reading this.
Yamaha 01v96
Behringer ADA8000
PT M-Powered 8
Win 7 64 bits
Dell Studio 17 (core I7)
Sony Sound Forge / CD Architect / Vegas
Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.5
ADOBE CS5