Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Default Re: The People Have Spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
In that case should stop whining about the price, and do like me buy PT10!
Those of us who use HD, it's a much harder pill to swallow, even for me, who needs both HD and Native, even a much greater pill to swallow. I wish it were as simple as upgrading to Native.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroadstudio View Post
+1 Barry...
People seem to think we are bitching just to be annoying and we are "haters." They dont get it that we want AVID to succeed and be partners with us so that EVERYONE wins-- They make a healthy profit and continue to innovate and we use them to make our businesses profitable as well.

So simple.
To be fair some of the posts I have seen have been a bit rabid and seem to hold it against Avid that they are a business trying to make money out of us users...

It's a shame because it clouds the main issue. Which is the nutty HD upgrade price.

I think Protools is the best, I have Cubase (started with that but tried Protools Free and bought a second hand Mix system pretty soon afterwards it was such a great contrast), and Samplitude which I never really got on with, nowhere near as intuitive as Protools - for me anyway. I upgraded the Mix to HD2 Accel about 5/6 years ago and have been really happy with it.

HDX looks really great, not sure if I need it now that computers are are so fast, my rig does music for fun and voiceover production for money - I have a UAD Solo for a bit of flavour - love the EMT emulations. Just built a new i7 2600K PC, converted all the plugins in my current projects to RTAS and barely saw a blip on the CPU usage, Omnisphere is the only plugin I use that seriously pushes the CPU up.

Anyway HDX seems like a good move if you need the extra processing and the exchange program seems pretty reasonable.

I know people have gripes about the length of the Amnesty period, but you know if it was a year long there would still be folk who missed out by a day.. harsh but that's just the way it is. I bought my mbox 3 about a week before the PT9 amnesty. C'est la vie.

I know people are anxious about the whole AAX thing, but from a technological point of view it's obviously a good thing, and hopefully as developers issue their releases over the coming months we'll see other following the lead set by McDsp and others, and trying to do upgrades for free or at a level that just covers their costs. I guess we'll see some developers doing straight ports of existing plugins for low cost, or enhancing functionality and charging a bit more.

It was inevitable that HD would go at some point. It's harsh on folk that just bought in to HD systems, but I don't see any way round that. They can't take a major product line off the market for 3 months just because they have new stuff in development., they have to sell stuff to stay alive.

I think the new features in 10 look great and would really like them. But not at that price. At $299 I'd be running it now but $599?? No way Jose, especially as it's the last version that will support my hardware. That news on it's own makes me re-evaluate.

So I'm thinking should I go HD Native? But I may have to upgrade my I/O ( mytek 8x192 and 192 with an extra DA card) if I want to stay on board with Protools. Yes I know what I have now works and will continue to do so until the hardware fails, but hey new stuff is fun!!!! I guess Mytek may issue a firmware update or do a new DIO card (i've asked them, but no reply so far).

So for the first time in a long while I'm seriously investigating other DAWs and hardware figuring to get out sooner rather than later to maximise the return on my existing hardware.....

And the reason is that darned upgrade price. Without that I'd probably be planning the switch to HD Native already in the light of the end of line announcement....

I'm rambling, my apologies, but I just finished stripping my rig down so the builders can knock through from the current single room into the new studio space we've built on the side.... so I've got nothing else to do

Just wish Avid would say, oops guys, sorry, big mistake, HD10 upgrade is now $299.....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
So I'm thinking should I go HD Native? But I may have to upgrade my I/O ( mytek 8x192 and 192 with an extra DA card) if I want to stay on board with Protools. Yes I know what I have now works and will continue to do so until the hardware fails, but hey new stuff is fun!!!! I guess Mytek may issue a firmware update or do a new DIO card (i've asked them, but no reply so far).
There is a thread right now in the Native forum, that outlines a users experience with Native, as of today, not looking so good. I too have been looking hard at Native.

Regarding the Oops, that would make me satisfied.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
There is a thread right now in the Native forum, that outlines a users experience with Native, as of today, not looking so good. I too have been looking hard at Native.

Yes that's the other thing that's making me question the way ahead. Some people seem to have fairly intractable problems with HD native and I can't really afford the down time if I build a new pc and it doesn't play well with 10....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post

+1

I upgraded my LE (music) system from 8 to 9 then 10. However there was no reason to upgrade my HD (post) system from 8 to 9 and now I feel penalised.

I've been using 10 since the day it came out on my music system, I'm not sure it's worth the $1500 upgrade price for my HD system.

Al
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Even AVID's own employees want to see it better....

Might not be so easy after all. At least if you read what folks from the inside have to say

Avid-Technology-Reviews

This is grim reading. So who hired the current management ?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
Just wish Avid would say, oops guys, sorry, big mistake, HD10 upgrade is now $299.....
That would be great. And it would have their stock pop up...

I doubt however that this will happen.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
This is grim reading. So who hired the current management ?
The one who did the graphic design for Sound Designer II

Perhaps - Jenny Craig ???
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Even AVID's own employees want to see it better....

Might not be so easy after all. At least if you read what folks from the inside have to say

Avid-Technology-Reviews
Wow, that's a good read there,everyone should have a look at that considering investing in pt IMO! This is really very sad to see what's really going on inside this company..
Old 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Here's how to play Avid's disastrous leadership train wreck.

For the stock ticker AVID...

But June 2012 Call and Put as follows:
7.50 call for .75 cents
5.00 put for .80 cents

Total outlay $1.55 (1.55 X 100 = $155)
If you don't know one put or one call is for 100 shares. One position will cost you $155 plus commission.

If the stock tanks more than 1.55 you make money. If they go bankrupt you triple your money.
If the stock jumps more than 1.55 you make money. If they go back to $10 you more than double your money. If it goes back to $20 (very unlikely) you'll be rich.

If it stays within 1.55 of the current stock price you lose all your money (highly unlikely to happen between now and June 2012)

How to pay for a proper upgrade?
Buy $1,550 worth of the above (10 positions) and wait.
Closed Thread