How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Default Side-chain keys,

Hi Sheldon,

is it a feature of the new 2.8 where there are no side - chain limitations on Venue?

I know the previous number of side-chain key signals was up to 32 from channel and FX pre/post pickoffs with no limitations for key signals routed from hardware inputs, inputs or FX top of channel pickoffs or channel insert returns.
I would have posted the question on the Digi Certified Instructor list but was afraid nobody would have 'side-chained-in '

Regards,
Radu
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: Side-chain keys,

Hi Radu,

That is a typo in the user guide. Sorry for the confusion this might have caused. Here is the correct information...

An input channel's Expander/Gate Sidechain can be either "normal" or "special", as defined below. Only 32 input strips are allowed to have a "special" E/G Sidechain at a time, due to the way signals are routed within the DSP engine.

Normal Sidechain Sources: because these sources are always available in the DSP engine, they do not require a dedicated resource. Examples:
  • Physical Input (e.g., Stage)
  • Channel "Top of Channel" tap off
  • FX-Return "Top of Channel" tap off
  • Channel "Insert Return" tap off, when an insert is actually in use on the channel

Special Sidechain Sources: these sources have to be routed within the DSP engine on an as-needed basis, and thus there's a limit. Examples:
  • Channel "Insert Return" tap off, when an insert is not in use on the channel
  • Channel "Pre / Post Fader" tap off
  • FX-Return "Pre / Post Fader" tap off

This behavior has been the same since the original v1.0 software was launched. Hope this detailed info helps.

Sheldon
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 AM

Hi Sheldon,

Is there any chance of allowing and output bus to be a sidechain input? For example I have a vocal buss that is used as a sidechain input on a compressor to duck my crowd mics.. The way that I do this currently is output the bus to a FOH output then loop it back in a FOH input and use that as the key input. It would be nice to be able to get rid of the loopback cable.

Thanks,
Nicolas
Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Thank you Sheldon.

Radu
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Avid

Hi Nicolas,

Quote:
Is there any chance of allowing and output bus to be a sidechain input? For example I have a vocal buss that is used as a sidechain input on a compressor to duck my crowd mics
Not at this time. A simpler solution than routing out/in of the FOH Rack is to use a plug-in as a "virtual patch cable". To do this, route the vocal buss to a lightweight plug-in (such as a 1-band EQ), bypass the plug-in, then route the plug-in's output back to an input channel. This "return" input channel then feeds the sidechain of the comp for the crowd mics.

Don't forget to take the return channel out of all busses and the LR mix.

Sheldon