Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Re: ??? Waves new plugin / scheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
It produced expectations and mystery, which made you open your wallet

I must be getting old, I was going to demo it (I tried twice to download it) and nothing

Now after successfully demo’n the Brainworks Consoles - I think I want them both !!!

I wish they were $49
At least the BW stuff will run on HDx. When are you going to change your sig about track presets? Looks like it worked.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
It produced expectations and mystery, which made you open your wallet

I must be getting old, I was going to demo it (I tried twice to download it) and nothing

Now after successfully demo’n the Brainworks Consoles - I think I want them both !!!

I wish they were $49
The three Brainworx consoles will never get that low. The lowest I've seen any of them was $149 IIRC and usually only one at a time.

Speaking of pricing - the eternal question with any Waves prices - how long does anyone think this $49 will last? Mentioned earlier I want to see what comes out of NAMM but add to that what Plugin Alliance does in February. Dirk mentioned in an email about new partners and s/w coming in 2018 and that has my curiosity piqued.

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Default ??? Waves new plugin / scheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
At least the BW stuff will run on HDx. When are you going to change your sig about track presets? Looks like it worked.

I know that alone makes me want to support them. But they do sound really good, I have to play with it some more but I think the UAD SSL sounds better....but the Neve’s sound almost the same to me (so far anyway)

Yes you are all welcome for track presets

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The three Brainworx consoles will never get that low. The lowest I've seen any of them was $149 IIRC and usually only one at a time.

Speaking of pricing - the eternal question with any Waves prices - how long does anyone think this $49 will last?

I will gladly pay that man some money (for AAXDSP support)

Good question I had the same one....how long, then I couldn’t get it installed- oh well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 01-27-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Stephen - Do you see all Waves plugs? I have many but only see modules for this plug.

I'm wondering if tied to WUP which I have not updated for my other plugs. I reached out to Waves to get the low down.

With regard to this being unique, it does have full MS processing and monitoring capabilities which I don't see much in other plugs.

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Yes, I see all my other Waves plugins. It comes up with a list similar to the one in StudioRack.

Some of my stuff is out of WUP so I don't think that is an issue unless you have quite old versions.

Stephen
I just watched a YouTube video and the only plugins the poster saw in the empty slot were ones that were in the Omni to begin with. Look at about 8:30 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9902xpKCbk This was posted on January 24

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 PM

man i can't believe the cpu usage on this, even when pro tools is in it's 1024 sample high buffer playback mode.

how can anyone without a 10 core 4ghz use this on every channel, like a channel strip is designed? LOL.

With all modules activated it uses 12% of a core here, that's absolutely ridiculous. With a track armed at 128 buffer it doubles that.

Waves unfortunately, since their older, not so great plugins(with exceptions like doubler), have been unable to code an efficient modern, top quality plugin. They literally don't have any coders that can do it. Everything, once they started their new batch of emulations, has been a cpu hoover. It's amazing that a company with such pedigree simply can't code a modern efficient plugin that sounds great.
There is plenty of stuff that sounds better at a quarter the CPU usage.
Slate for one.

I really don't know whether i love or hate this..

On one hand, i like the GUI and the expanded view for every plugin, and M/S option per module.. on the other hand, i am not that over the moon on the included modules anyway, or the ridiculously high cpu usage.

Pass for me, after much testing, even at $49.

Fab filter pro Q proves what incredible coding can do..12 bands at 1% cpu total. 2% in linear phase.

I can do pro c2, proQ2, proMB, ProDS and ProG in patchwork, so just one PT insert, with parallel choices and reordering, my own chainer so to speak, for less cpu than the single waves plugin.. difference is fab filter has crazy edit ability.

or for simple vintage elegance, VMR baby. All the way every day. Hey, MCDSP channel is wonderful too, as is their very old bus still great g Bus.

My advice is to anyone not on MCDSP, lock in the $12.99 per month for every plugin they ever make or will make sub, as that's the bargain of a lifetime.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I know that alone makes me want to support them. But they do sound really good, I have to play with it some more but I think the UAD SSL sounds better....but the Neve’s sound almost the same to me (so far anyway)
Not sure if you tried this but the EQ in the BW consoles responds differently when you turn up the THD control next to the mute button. Its been a while since I used the UAD SSL but I seem to remember liking the comp more than the BW.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.

Last edited by JFreak; 01-28-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I demand that you continue your Waves boycott until... AAX-DSP is supported.
Oh, but of course!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I just watched a YouTube video and the only plugins the poster saw in the empty slot were ones that were in the Omni to begin with. Look at about 8:30 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9902xpKCbk This was posted on January 24

Hope that helps!

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 12.06.13.jpg (70.2 KB, 0 views)

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post

Hope that helps!

Stephen
Thanks much for this. It's weird that some like the person who posted the YT video aren't seeing anything outside the things that are already in Omni and some are seeing all the Waves stuff they own. I wonder if it's due to maybe the early adopters seeing a different build than later people? Not like that hasn't happened before

QAPLA!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks much for this. It's weird that some like the person who posted the YT video aren't seeing anything outside the things that are already in Omni and some are seeing all the Waves stuff they own. I wonder if it's due to maybe the early adopters seeing a different build than later people? Not like that hasn't happened before
I heard from Waves. They say I need to install latest versions to see them.

I thought I checked that option when installing the Omni but perhaps I did not. Will try out this week.

C