Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Anyone try the Presonus Quantum yet!?

On paper it looks like no one can touch it from a driver perspective (and price). But I can't seem to find anyone who has tried it with Protools yet.
All I am looking for is a stable Thunderbolt interface that does not need a secondary mixer to make it even usable to track live recordings without massive latencies. That runs ProtoolsHD12 software smoothly.
I have tried all the major players, Apogee, UA, Antelope, MOTU and they are utterly useless when not tracking through their own Software Mixers.
Software Mixers is just a solution for writing bad drivers in my opinion.
The only one that seems to be able to do it is the RME UFX+. I have always loved RME for their solid drivers but at the moment they don't have an entry level Thunderbolt interface (sub$1000).
Anyone!?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone try the Presonus Quantum yet!?

Try the UAD forums

Matt H has used it with PT. They talk about the paces they put it through
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Try the UAD forums

Matt H has used it with PT. They talk about the paces they put it through
Thanks for linking that
Anyhoo I searched UAD's forums and found the thread for any one interested:

https://uadforum.com/general-discuss...y-quantum.html

But more importantly also found this link!!

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/vid...udio-interface

Sounds like a no brainer
Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Default Anyone try the Presonus Quantum yet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Thanks for linking that
No problem 🤠🤠🤠
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 AM

Reviving an old thread...

I just picked up a Quantum 2 interface and I have to say that I'm impressed with the performance of this unit. The driver is very stable, efficient and works very well on my Win 10, PT 2018 system. I can run higher track counts and a lower buffer setting than I can with my Clarett.

I don't have exact latency numbers, but have no issues tracking through plug-ins.

Definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a TB interface at a good price.

System Details
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Reviving an old thread...

I just picked up a Quantum 2 interface and I have to say that I'm impressed with the performance of this unit. The driver is very stable, efficient and works very well on my Win 10, PT 2018 system. I can run higher track counts and a lower buffer setting than I can with my Clarett.

I don't have exact latency numbers, but have no issues tracking through plug-ins.

Definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a TB interface at a good price.
Thats good to hear. I will probably pick one up for my portable rig and ditch my Apollo Twin. I have been using a UFX+ with another studio setup and it has been working very solid too. Didn't want to spend that much money on another one for my mobile rig though.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:29 PM

I just picked up a Quantum 2, and I have to say I am impressed. I haven't tried it in Mac yet, but my Windows 10 Bootcamp installation works great. I get better stability at 64 sample buffer than I did at 256 samples with any of my other interfaces. Latency is not noticeable by me, and I have no problem tracking though Amplitube 4 or any other plugin I might need.

Interestingly, I can get the buffer all the way down to 16 samples in the Studio One 3 Artist software that came with the interface. And it seems to be stable at that setting as well. Pro Tools doesn't even see 16 samples as an option, and 32 samples is too taxing on my aging system. But none of that matters since I get acceptable (unnoticeable) latency performance at 64 samples at 44.1 KHz. And I like Pro Tools too much to bother learning another DAW right now.

Update: I tried it on Mac High Sierra, and it's rock solid stable at 32 sample buffer. I played with it for only about half an hour, but it ran perfectly with a few different sessions.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs

Last edited by QuikDraw; 03-18-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
I just picked up a Quantum 2, and I have to say I am impressed. I haven't tried it in Mac yet, but my Windows 10 Bootcamp installation works great. I get better stability at 64 sample buffer than I did at 256 samples with any of my other interfaces. Latency is not noticeable by me, and I have no problem tracking though Amplitube 4 or any other plugin I might need.

Interestingly, I can get the buffer all the way down to 16 samples in the Studio One 3 Artist software that came with the interface. And it seems to be stable at that setting as well. Pro Tools doesn't even see 16 samples as an option, and 32 samples is too taxing on my aging system. But none of that matters since I get acceptable (unnoticeable) latency performance at 64 samples at 44.1 KHz. And I like Pro Tools too much to bother leaning another DAW right now.
Nice! Presonus seems to have done a great job with the Quantum driver; at least on Windows.

System Details
Old 06-02-2021, 10:13 PM

bump to an old thread.....

how is the PreSonus*Quantum 26x32 running on a Mac with ProTools?

(and with what OS?)

and to do hardware inserts i'd have to offset the physical cables on the back of the PreSonus to "line up" with the ProTools IO... anyone have experience with this small issue?

thanks,