Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Speaker Noise only when PT launches

Hello all,

First time poster. Running PT 9.06 on OS 10.7.4 (Hackintosh). Finding a consistent issue where my speakers (pair of M Audio BX8s) will start making a low level white noise whenever I launch Pro Tools. If I play audio from any other application (Finder, quicktime, iTunes, etc.), no white noise is present. As soon as I launch Pro Tools, the white noise kicks in and is persistent until I quit the application.

I am running a 3.5mm stereo to XLR cable from the analog port (green) to the speakers. Like I mentioned, all other audio plays fine, it only occurs when I launch Pro Tools (which to me rules out a grounding issue or a problem with the speakers).

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Thank you,

~ MW
Old 08-11-2013, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Speaker Noise only when PT launches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdubbs818 View Post
Hello all,

First time poster. Running PT 9.06 on OS 10.7.4 (Hackintosh). Finding a consistent issue where my speakers (pair of M Audio BX8s) will start making a low level white noise whenever I launch Pro Tools. If I play audio from any other application (Finder, quicktime, iTunes, etc.), no white noise is present. As soon as I launch Pro Tools, the white noise kicks in and is persistent until I quit the application.

I am running a 3.5mm stereo to XLR cable from the analog port (green) to the speakers. Like I mentioned, all other audio plays fine, it only occurs when I launch Pro Tools (which to me rules out a grounding issue or a problem with the speakers).

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Thank you,

~ MW
What do you mean by 'analog port (green)'? Are you talking about some kind of connector on your computer which I guess means you're using the computer's internal audio output? If you are you do know those types of connectors (3.5mm aka 1/8 inch) do not have balanced connections right? That's what you really should have, along with a proper audio I/O interface. It's not the application (PT) with the problem - it's your hardware. Motherboard audio is NOT meant for much other than simple stuff like iTunes or system sounds; I wouldn't even use it for games.

I know your monitors supposedly will work with unbalanced connections but those are not good for low noise applications like recording/monitoring.

QAPLA!