Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE and Intel i7 Processor

Your best bet is to do a dual boot or just dump the 64 bit OS for now. You might consider pulling the drive out and starting fresh with 2 new drives. Your system drive does not need to be a monster(80-160 gig is plenty big at 7200 rpm). XP is the choice for most of us but Vista does work. I would go XP for now and then Win7 when it gets released(some are running the RC version of it now with success and it looks really promising). The only reason to partition the audio drive is for "housekeeping". This allows you to move files around instead of running Defrag(which has screwed up stuff for at least some folks). Most tower systems have space inside for several hard drives(I have 5 running in mine) so if the budget allows, a system drive, at least one audio drive and a 3rd for samples and backup is a great start. As tedious as it sounds, building one thing at a time makes for a smoother setup. Install your new OS and test. Then install the audio drive and format(NTFS and BASIC). Then install PT and run a Dverb test. This will tell you if your system settings are good as low numbers will mean something is wrong. Doing this before you install extra hardware and software helps you troubleshoot.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Your best bet is to do a dual boot or just dump the 64 bit OS for now. You might consider pulling the drive out and starting fresh with 2 new drives. Your system drive does not need to be a monster(80-160 gig is plenty big at 7200 rpm). XP is the choice for most of us but Vista does work. I would go XP for now and then Win7 when it gets released(some are running the RC version of it now with success and it looks really promising). The only reason to partition the audio drive is for "housekeeping". This allows you to move files around instead of running Defrag(which has screwed up stuff for at least some folks). Most tower systems have space inside for several hard drives(I have 5 running in mine) so if the budget allows, a system drive, at least one audio drive and a 3rd for samples and backup is a great start. As tedious as it sounds, building one thing at a time makes for a smoother setup. Install your new OS and test. Then install the audio drive and format(NTFS and BASIC). Then install PT and run a Dverb test. This will tell you if your system settings are good as low numbers will mean something is wrong. Doing this before you install extra hardware and software helps you troubleshoot.
albee1952, thanks for all the info... You da man!!

So I think I'll do a dual boot and use XP (I can use vista 64 for some other work). 3 HDs, a smaller system drive and two 1T HDs...one dedicated audio drive and the other for samples and backup as you suggested.

Another question I have is regarding the audio interface/soundcard. I'm leaning towards the Mbox 2 pro at the moment...it looks good for a home studio? Also, is the factory bundle worth the extra $100 or so? As I'm a total newbie I don't know if I'll need/want these extra plugins?

Thanks again
Steve
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 AM

This depends a lot on what other plug-ins you have, and personal taste. They are not essential.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM

I agree with Tom. I would put the extra cash toward some good 3rd party stuff. One of the first things you need is a better reverb than the Dverb. TL Space is nice, as is Breverb and the IK Multimedia Classik reverb pack. I'd be lost without the Pultec bundle and ezdrummer or Superior Drummer with the Nashville expansion are great if you need drums in the box.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I agree with Tom. I would put the extra cash toward some good 3rd party stuff. One of the first things you need is a better reverb than the Dverb. TL Space is nice, as is Breverb and the IK Multimedia Classik reverb pack. I'd be lost without the Pultec bundle and ezdrummer or Superior Drummer with the Nashville expansion are great if you need drums in the box.
Yea that makes sense alright...plus ezDrummer looks pretty cool :)

Some of the plugins are kinda expensive tho, aren't they? That's why digidesign got me thinking about the factory bundle, with this line...."Mbox 2 Pro Factory also includes over $1,000 worth of additional professional plug-ins, plus an iLok USB Smart Key to handle your plug-in authorizations."

# Mbox 2 Factory Plug-in Bundle Contains These Guys:
# Cosmonaut Voice
# JOEMEEK SC2 Photo Optical Compressor
# JOEMEEK VC5 Meequalizer
# Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser
# Moogerfooger Analog Delay
# Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter
# Moogerfooger Ring Modulator

...would any of these be worth the extra cash? Maybe "Moogerfooger Analog Delay", etc?

Also, how about the Mbox 2 Pro hardware itself...is that a good interface? I'm sure it's pretty basic for you guys, but I'm just getting started...but also want sth that won't need upgrading TOO soon.

I think the firewire is a big plus over the Mbox 2?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

I don't understand the logic in getting an i7 just to have an Mbox2 anyway... I would @ the least have the Pro otherwise u may as well work on a Pentium 4...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
I don't understand the logic in getting an i7 just to have an Mbox2 anyway... I would @ the least have the Pro otherwise u may as well work on a Pentium 4...
I'm not considering the Mbox2 at all!

I ment that as the Mbox2 Pro offers firewire connection, etc that interface IS worth considering. But just wanted to check this with the guys who know what they're talking about
Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Oh; well yeah @least go with the Pro & since ur gonna be getting v8, I wouldn't worry the factory bundle being that u get a lot w/8 but then again, I always say "What's $100 when ur already spending anyway"...thatz just me though...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 PM

The Mbox 2 Pro is a good unit as long as you don't need the extra inputs of the 003.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve80 View Post
Yea that makes sense alright...plus ezDrummer looks pretty cool :)

Some of the plugins are kinda expensive tho, aren't they? That's why digidesign got me thinking about the factory bundle, with this line...."Mbox 2 Pro Factory also includes over $1,000 worth of additional professional plug-ins, plus an iLok USB Smart Key to handle your plug-in authorizations."

# Mbox 2 Factory Plug-in Bundle Contains These Guys:
# Cosmonaut Voice
# JOEMEEK SC2 Photo Optical Compressor
# JOEMEEK VC5 Meequalizer
# Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser
# Moogerfooger Analog Delay
# Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter
# Moogerfooger Ring Modulator

...would any of these be worth the extra cash? Maybe "Moogerfooger Analog Delay", etc?
The real question is; are these plugins worth $1000 to YOU? If they are, its a great deal. I have them and never use any of them unless someone brings me a session that used them. Even then, I will usually bypass or delete and go for stuff that suits me better. For compressors, I use BF76 and Smack more than any others. For EQ, the Digirack plugs work great(I no longer use my Waves very much). The stock delay plugs are fine. Phase shifting and ring mod are 2 that I would rarely use in pop/country(my bread and butter). As always, YMMV