Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Mbox2 and Yosemite :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordlig
Well the Mbox2 is really old now
You're absolutely right, but still can't believe I can hook up a Behringer UCA202 in every single system and will work like a charm. Ok ok! I won't compare Mbox with UCA202 but in this case I'd think I'd have much trouble with a cheaper interface rather an expensive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Try using a USB hub between the Mbox and your mac.
I was told several weeks ago and still can't believe it.

In other words, hear this: I've installed Mavericks 10.9.5 in my Hackintosh and works perfectly fine!! and in my Macbook Pro won't work (GREAT! ). Now I've upgraded to Yosemite in my Macbook Pro and won't even recognize my MBOX 2 Micro... YES!!!

*sarcasm mode off
Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 PM
nordlig

Thank you, I have now tried with a USB2 hub but it did not work. I use the Mbox2USBFamily_10_3_9_Mac_83297 driver but reading about it (Been looking here and here) it now says OSX 10.10 is not supported.
  • Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite not supported
  • Tested with Avid-qualified Apple computers
  • Core 2 Duo Macs not supported
I got 10.10 and no Avid-qualified computer (Core 2 Duo 5.5) so it seems like have to wait a little bit longer. Too bad they aren't plug and play.

Edit: Tried driver 10.3.3 with and wo hub. Even tried with two hubs . Better start looking for a replacement.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Uninstall the 10.3.9 drivers, restart, install the 10.3.3 drivers, it will restart. Once logged in, try connecting the mbox 2 it will take a a couple of seconds before all lights come on for the first time. Make sure it's not connected at all when installing/uninstalling.

In the thread that i started back when I was in public beta of Yosemite, the 10.3.3 drivers worked, 10.3.9 I've had no luck with.

- Just saw your edit, that strange because i've been installing and uninstall drivers like 6 times and the result was always the same 10.3.3 worked, and 10.3.9 didn't.

Check out my thread here

Last edited by thegame15; 10-24-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Responding to edited post above
Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 PM
nordlig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame15 View Post
- Just saw your edit, that strange because i've been installing and uninstall drivers like 6 times and the result was always the same 10.3.3 worked, and 10.3.9 didn't.
I am amazed - the 10.3.3 made the Mbox2 work again in Yosemite. Thanks to your thread i saw that I had missed some files when uninstalling. Now I am running the Mbox2 from a USB2 hub and I think I am leaving it there. As you said, it took a couple of seconds when connecting the device for the green lamp to show. Thank you!

Edit: I moved the USB cable from the hub and connected it directly to the computer and it worked as well. The only thing i noticed is that, regardless hub or not, the Mbox2 does not get recognized after reboot, so one has to pull the USB cable and reconnect it again. After a few seconds its usable again/green light.

Last edited by nordlig; 10-25-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: New discovery
Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM

I will have to try again connecting it directly, I haven't since the first public beta, and it was working but real spotty. Haven't tried it on the full release yet. I think when i restarted with hub it would connect no problems, but I will have to keep an eye on that next time i boot into Yosemite, I'm just waiting for a few updates for plugins before I completely jump over. Glad you got up and running though :)
Old 11-02-2014, 04:26 PM

I got mine up and running. There's a youtube video that explained the problem (audibly, while the video showed appcleaner doing it's thing).

Indeed, 10.3.3 works with Mbox 2 (10.3.9 does not).

One thing missing from these threads that I found helped in the video was that the author mentioned that Mbox would not start after a restart. This is the problem I kept having, but now I'll disconnect Mbox before restarting and then wait until the OSX is completely up and running before reconnecting.

Here's an amended set of instructions (originally posted by orchetect but amended below, previously listed in another thread regarding the mbox 2 mini):

1) Manually uninstall the driver components (delete, then empty trash):
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2.kext
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2Boot.kext
• /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
• /Library/Startupitems/Digidesign Mbox2
• /Library/Startupitems/DigidesignLoader

2) Open System Preferences, right-click "Digidesign MBox 2" icon, select "Remove "Digidesign MBox 2" from Preference Pane"

3) Unplug (disconnect) the Mbox 2

4) Restart

5) Install Mbox 2 Driver 10.3.3. (After, the computer has rebooted). The computer will again need to restart as part of the installation.

6) Wait until all the OS has completely finished loading (you can view all icons, folder, etc...)

7) Now reconnect the Mbox 2.... wait (be patient). You should now see green lights back on.

I did not need to switch usb ports, nor did I need to connect to a USB hub. I know some people are reporting that this worked for them, but I found it made no difference.

Hope that helps anyone else that was getting no results.

Last edited by elxsound; 11-02-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarifying steps.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Hello,

I am trying to get my Mbox mini 2 to fully function with Yosemite. I manually removed the drivers as described and installed the 10.3.3 driver, and it does get my mbox up an running since the light turns on, but no output/sound? Neither within Logic or from anywhere else. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Problem solved! So this was apparently a known problem for some Core 2 Duo Macs, but I did as advised and connected my mbox via an USB 2.0 hub and it worked! So glad I dont have to reinstall an older OS!!