Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Default Help!!! My ilok broke, what do I do?

Alright so I accidentally pushed my desk chair into my ilok while it was plugged into my desktop, so needless to say the thing broke in half and no longer works. I have my Pro Tools license on there, as well as other things like Soundtoys plug ins, etc.

Basically, what options do I have to fix this?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Help!!! My ilok broke, what do I do?

If u don't have ZDT and an extra iLok, you will need to get in touch with iLok and send yours back to get it replaced. It's a hassle but the sooner you get started the sooner you get a new one back. You will need proof of your licenses. Good luck!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Alright so I accidentally pushed my desk chair into my ilok while it was plugged into my desktop, so needless to say the thing broke in half and no longer works. I have my Pro Tools license on there, as well as other things like Soundtoys plug ins, etc.

Basically, what options do I have to fix this?
Go to iLok.com and see http://www.ilok.com/ilok-rma.html and you follow the instructions there, and you get an RMA number and return it to them for a replacement. If you have a spare iLok already you can wait and download the replacement license to that, which will save waiting on return shipment of a new iLok with your license on it from iLok (but if the cost is an issue wait for the return iLok, either way you are paying for the "free" iLok).

----

This has all been hashed over on DUC so many times, you could have purchased ZDT and iLok would have given you a temporary license for you to install on another iLok. If you don't gave ZDT you'll be without a usable license until you have the replacement iLok back.

And as a warning, had you lost your iLok you could have been SOL. This procedure does not cover lost iLoks. You lose the psychical ilok you lose the license on it. You might get Avid to replace the licenses, they are more open to this if there is theft and documentation police reports etc. If you can't afford to lose what is on the iLok you should look to insure it with your insurance company for loss/theft.

Darryl
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM

I just went through this (2 weeks ago) and although I did have ZDT, I think during the RMA process you can purchase ZDT as well... The process was pretty straight forward, I had new (temporary) licenses in my account within minutes of issuing the RMA and I had all licenses recovered within 10 days. Once they have the damaged iLok they are pretty fast at processing.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM

when you send in the broken one:
a) use a good box or padded envelope (there are stories of people having the package get torn open and the iLok getting lost)
b) get a tracking number

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Insure it for what it's worth!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Made this little goof myself, and they were a genuine pleasure to deal with. Incidentally, they sent my replacement back with a 6" USB extension cable, so the Ilok hangs off the back instead of sticking out of the back. I was back in business within 36 hours.