How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Can't Install ProTools 2018.10 on my Windows 7 machine

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here, so bear with me.

So last week, I noticed a new update to ProTools appear in my Avid Application Manager.

So I went ahead and downloaded the latest version and tried to install it (As I enjoy new features and try to keep my programs up to date for maximum quality in writing my music), but it gave me an error about being out of disk space.

Ok, no sweat. I went in and cleaned up my disk a bit, uninstalled some stuff I don't use anymore etc. Turned out that wasn't enough space still, so I went ahead and uninstalled all of ProTools and its related Plug-ins and anything to do with Avid so that I could start fresh with a new install and save space.

However, upon finishing downloading ProTools version 2018.10, it suddenly gave me this error message!

I'm SUPER confused. I've never had issues with running anything ProTools 2018.XX on my Windows 7 machine before, so this really frustrates me.

I didn't want to upgrade my machine to Windows 10 when it first came out (Cause I had heard many unpleasant stories), but then forgot to do so before the free upgrade period ended. (I have another laptop that runs Win10 and I have to say, I love it WAY better than 8, though 7 is still my preferred OS)

So is there any way for me to fix this or should I just go back to version 2018.7?

I've heard that Win 7 is no longer supported for ProTools, in which case, is there any hope for me to enjoy the new features and improvements or no?

Also, if I do end up needing to revert to previous versions and sticking with them, which do you recommend for Win 7 and how do I do that? (Or which was the most stable? I've also scoured around and haven't found how to go back to a previous version anywhere on Avid's Support Site)

Please help me out ASAP, as I've got some major musical projects that I need to get to work on before January!

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: png ProTools 2018.10 install error.PNG (20.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Can't Install ProTools 2018.10 on my Windows 7 machine

Welcome to DUC.

Do you have a hard reason you have to remain on Windows 7?

Windows 7 ancientware is not officially supported with recent Pro Tools releases. You can find systems requirements for any Pro Tools release online like this https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...0-Release-Info

Your thinking here seems bass ackwards, wanting to stay on Windows 7 (why?) should not be driving your DAW version choices, here your Pro Tools choices should be driving your OS choices.., given how good Windows 10 is working out. And it’s not the Windows 10 Insider horror ride junk or even home version of Windows 10 you should be using. Windows 10 Pro is just a pretty good platform for a DAW. Be sure to get Windows 10 Pro so you can disable automatic updates. Fully optimize the system and install the latest version of Pro Tools you want.

And who knows what issues you may have created with installs possibly broken several times by running out of space. Sounds like a full clean OS (Windows 10) install may be a good idea anyhow.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-12-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 PM

I must agree with Darryl on moving to Windows 10(and here is how I would handle it);
#1-if you can re-install the last version of PT that worked, I would do that(and ALWAYS run installers as Administrator in Win7,8,10).

#2-Once that is working again, I would pull that system drive out and set it aside(keeping it intact means you can always re-install that drive if you need to access the old setup).

#3-buy a new system drive(get an SSD if you are still using a spinning system drive). Load in Windows 10, iLok and Quicktime. Run Windows update and then perform all the required system tweaks.

#4-save a drive image(so in the future, you can recover from a tweaked image, instead of starting from scratch like this time around)

#5-install the driver for your interface and latest version of Pro Tools and all Avid plugins(remembering to always use the Run as Admin option).

#6-test a few sessions for smooth operation(minus your missing plugins) and if all is good, save a second drive image(this is a full install of Avid-ONLY software, which might be a handy restore point in the future)

#7-install the rest of your software. And if things run smooth for a month, save a 3rd drive image(so you can restore to a fully loaded and working setup)

Last 2 cents; a large-capacity USB3 drive is very handy for those drive images. Its also very handy for saving copies of every session you care about. Having just gone thru a major drive disaster here, I can promise you this; there are 2 kinds of computer users....those that have had a drive failure(and lost important stuff), and those that WILL have a drive failure IOW, if you are not OCD about backups, you NEED to be And by the way, if you use a 3rd hard drive for sample libraries, save a drive image of that too

Word to the wise; NEVER set your headphones down next to an external spinning hard drive(headphones have magnets in the ear cups and magnets ruin drive data......learned the hard way)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 PM

I just like Windows 7's layout the best. Windows 10, while at least better than 8, still feels a little too smartphone/tablet like for my taste.

And yes, good idea getting extra drives to backup system images.... if only I had the money to do that right now. Not really easy for me to do that as I'm a broke college student. Though I am picking up extra shifts at work for such things.

And yes, my OS is on an SSD, I totally prefer those. Is there still a way to get it to work or am I stuck having to buy Win 10 Pro? Or is there a place to get it free?

As I said, money is kinda tight right now, so extra drives and licences aren't really an option....
Old 12-13-2018, 03:15 AM

Do you have any previous versions of PT12 or 2018 available in your account? From what I've read elsewhere I think you can upgrade/update to version .10, but you can't do a clean install on Win 7. Win 10 would be the better option and maybe still available for free. Search Windows 10 free. I think ZDNet still had a way listed as late as last September - it may still be available.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoContraptions View Post
... I've heard that Win 7 is no longer supported for ProTools ...
If you cannot afford the upgrade to Windows 10, then use the latest version of Pro-Tools that was officially supported on Windows 7. Create some free space on your boot drive; I like to keep drives at least 25% empty. Go get yourself a backup drive (or two) ---> today !!! For backups, even cheap externals ... are better than nothing.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-13-2018, 06:41 PM

As a student, you likely qualify for discounted software for many things. Win 10 Home is fine(but DO get the 64 bit version)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave