Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Considering a Saffire 56. Opinions wanted

Interesting thread. I was waiting to see what dropped at Musikmesse and still no word from Avid.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Interesting thread. I was waiting to see what dropped at Musikmesse and still no word from Avid.
Isn't there AES London next week?!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Well I actually own the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 since December 2010 as a result of Protools 9, and for my purposes it is working wonderfully. I was getting it in place of a a Digi002 and Digi002R. I would say the sound has improved according to my ears. I also used a Digi003 previously which I thought sounded exactly the same as my Digi002s. The Liquid Saffire is not just clearer but also seems fuller with each frequency range easier to pick out of the mix. Clearly the specs are better in terms of the supported sample rates . The converters are also a few generations more advanced.

As for the line ins going through the mic pres, I haven't has any negative results due to this. My Neumann TLM103 through the Universal Audio LA-610 still sounds great. I also use the ADAT ins for other additional inputs.

I've also not experience ay challenges due to latency (11ms). I'm pretty sure that I can not hear it.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my studio so I don't have my acoustic environment optimized yet, Therefore I'm only able to give an opinion based on what I can hear.

I had been eyeing the Focusrite Liquid Pre for years and now I own a part of that in my Liquid Saffire 56. In fact, I think they put the "best of" from the Liquid Pre into the Liquid Saffire. I may be a little biased as I actually thing the Liquid Pres sound fantastic on everything. I don't own some of the legendary mic pres they are emulating so I can't say if they are spot on of not, but they sound amazing.

In my opinion the Liquid Saffire 56 is a great interface that sounds very good. I don't know how it compares with Metric Halo, Apogee, or other high end interfaces. I can only tell you that it sounds better that my Digi002/Digi002R interfaces that I've used for years. I still use the same mics, mic pres, and near-field monitors so the only things that changed are Protools 8.0.4 LE to Protools 9.0.1 and the Digi002 and Digi002R to the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.

I'm trying to not give it a positive review just because I own it. I don't need to justify my purchase. I did quite a bit of research and listening test before making the decision. Again, for me. it was a good choice. Many of you have more experience than I do and may have better ears. What works for me may not be right for you.

I hope this was helpful.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 AM

First, I thought you would get more replies then this since I know there are several people with them on the DUC. I think mine blows my Digi002R out of the water in terms on clarity, extended range and transparency (the regular pres). The regular pres on the 56 also out do my Digimax D8 pres. I love the liquid pres. I don't have any of the analog pres it emulates, but my mics sound great with them especially my original MTG UM70. The TLM 103 sounds fantastic also. Maybe Obsidian Dragon can compare his real LA-610 to the emulated 610. I can say this, I seen people say that they can't hear the difference between them and regular pres. These people should sell their stuff because you should not be a recording engineer. The is a difference that is very decernable between all the emulate liquid pres. They are also what you might expect to hear. They have also made me like to try some real ones to see if the money is worth owning them for real, but then if the emulations are very close ( as some people have tested in reviews) it does not make since paying big bucks when the emulations are so much cheaper.

As fars as latency, you can get zero using the mixcontrol software, but I usually use plugs to track and go through the 64 buffer setting with no trouble including vocals. You can get one from Ebay new for under $750. I got mine from B&H for $750. I don't think you can beat the price.

I think your problem is that you have an interface with yours that you do not want to give up. If you had just a Digi003R, you would not hesitate. I got an MC Control when I got mine and that has been good to me also. Of course you could get a command 8 instead. It is cheaper and you are more used to it.

As far as problems, I use MAC OS. There have been a few but nothing that is totally a pain in the rear. Nothing that would upset a paying client if I had one.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Sounds like it will be my next purchase. As for my 003, as much as I like it as a controller(and have asked for an update that would allow it to be used as only that), it actually works about 60% of the time, so what's the point. I just grabbed a Presonus Faderport, so I have transport and a fader for rides all covered. Now I just need to find some spare cash Anybody wanna buy a nice 003?

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM

I've been looking at the Saffire 56 too - those Liquid Pre's really do sound nice.

I must admit I don't fully grasp the whole aggregate device technicalities on a PC but what if I ran a Saffire 56 and wanted the 4 extra mic inputs from a 002r (or other interface) - I assume it ADATs into the Saffire 56 but my question is does that all play ball on a PC what with the Saffire Mix control and/or Asio4All? Or have I misunderstood Asio4All & the 002r would use a 2nd Firewire port on the PC?

I notice the two recommendation posts above are both running on Mac's so it'd be nice to have a PC users persepctive too.

Jees - anyone else remember the time you just plugged a mic into a mixing desk & hit 'record' on the tape machine...

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
I've been looking at the Saffire 56 too - those Liquid Pre's really do sound nice.

I must admit I don't fully grasp the whole aggregate device technicalities on a PC but what if I ran a Saffire 56 and wanted the 4 extra mic inputs from a 002r (or other interface) - I assume it ADATs into the Saffire 56 but my question is does that all play ball on a PC what with the Saffire Mix control and/or Asio4All? Or have I misunderstood Asio4All & the 002r would use a 2nd Firewire port on the PC?

I notice the two recommendation posts above are both running on Mac's so it'd be nice to have a PC users persepctive too.

Jees - anyone else remember the time you just plugged a mic into a mixing desk & hit 'record' on the tape machine...
There's nothing to grasp as aggregate only works on Mac. On PC, you can't combine the 002 with anything else. I don't know if the 002 will pass inputs out the lightpipe without being connected to PT There's really no reason to wrestle with that anyway as you can sell the 002r and use the money to buy a lightpipe preamp that WILL connect to the Saffire(like a Presonus D8 or Focusrite Octopre).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM

Theese crush the 003 rack...I actually got mine because I was having so many problems with PT 9,finally got PT 9 working well and it didnt work with sonar X1 (some old sessions i need acess to)sold the digi 003 ,got the saffire 56 and lo and behold ....works perfect with everything.Pres sound amazing ...TWO adat ports in and out,apogee AD 16 in Apogee DA 16 out and done,totally stable with PT 9.0 and Sonar X1 (even really old sessions)I have my liquid pres set on Avalon and API and they sound amazing,really nice with every mic I have used them with.I used two Blue Dragonflys with the Avalon setting on an acoustic and it was startling how open it sounded,nothing missing in the frequency range (even in my krappy sounding rooms)I am very happy with this "upgrade" 700.$ @ nova musik...cant beat it in my humble opinion.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There's nothing to grasp as aggregate only works on Mac.
I was under the impression ASIO4All allowed aggregate devices on PC?

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM

As far as the digi002 goes it does not do standalone mode nor does it aggregate. So if you want to use it with the Saffire it must be the main interface and the saffire must be put in standalone and lightpipe it to the 002. My 002 is sitting in my closet. I kind of feel funny selling it with no pro tools software, but would be nice to have a octopre to make 24 inputs. By the way 2 of the 28 inputs are a loop back. so there is no physical connection. So think of it as 26 input total.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive