Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Saffire 56 with PT9

I hope you guys report back soon. I think these are the way to go. I would be interested if there is any problem with the Digi 002R lightpiping to it. If it can then I should have 24 channels off the bat with my 002R and my Presonus D8.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
I hope you guys report back soon. I think these are the way to go. I would be interested if there is any problem with the Digi 002R lightpiping to it. If it can then I should have 24 channels off the bat with my 002R and my Presonus D8.
Will do as soon as it's setup.
Just installed PT9 five mins ago. Smooth transition from 8.04, no problems except one digidesign EQ (EQ II) was moved to the unused folder during installation with the hint to use EQ III instead, since II is no longer supported.
Seems Avid put a lot of effort into it. Never felt so calm after a PT-upgrade before.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Nope, I got a new Saffire 56 for 650 Euros, which is about 887USD.
I managed to get a new one for $700 after the refurbished one I won on eBay was sold to someone else.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMetal View Post
I managed to get a new one for $700 after the refurbished one I won on eBay was sold to someone else.
Hey, that's nice! I was wondering anyways, why it's 999$ at sweetwater, since from my experience usually pro audio stuff always is cheaper in the US than over here. If there wasn't shipping and toll-crap, I would buy everything in the states. Would be a real money saver.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24
Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM

They have them pretty cheap here.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 AM

As promised, here my two cents on the Saffire 56 with PT9.
I hooked it up this morning, and was very puzzeled at first, because the outputs were routed completely random. So I set the PT I/O right, but it was still just a mess. Most of them didn't even playback anything.
That was, when I checked the MixControl-software that comes with the Saffire 56, and that was the little sob.
Don't know who at Focusrite sets the defaults for the software, but he is either mentally challenged, or was really, really drunk when he did this. It was mayhem.
After I reconfigured everything nicely, I wanted to open a new session, when a message appeared saying something like: "The current playback engine doesn't support 48 kHz." What??
Checked the Saffire mixer again, set the samplerate to 48kHz (was 44.1 by default) and tried again. Now I didn't get this message, but in the "open session"-dialog I was only able to choose between 176.4kHz and 192kHz.
Not knowing what else there was left to do I did a reboot, and since that point everything works charmingly.

In retrospect, the Saffire mixer installed new firmware on the interface, when I opened it for the first time. The device then reset itself, but maybe I should have done a reboot of my system, too, which might have saved me the hustle. Who's to say...
However, I'm happy now. it works fine and looks nice in my siderack.
If you planned on buying it, but hesitated - I'd say buy it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 AM

that's good news!

i finished building my machine this weekend and have ProTools 9 installed and running with just ASIO drivers and the iLok. I didn't have a chance to install the Saffire 56 yet... hopefully i'll have time tonight after work.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Update...a few hours later....figured out you have to go to the playback engine and that's where you have to first instruct PT about which interface you are using. Once you do that then restart then you get the same errors that meads was getting about the current playback engine not supported. Read on if you want to see the entire problem from the start. Now I just have to figure out why all the audio is routed to the left monitor.....ahhh new stuff....

Hummmm I'm having a real issue getting my PT9 to recognize my Saffire 56 using my macintosh system. Could someone share some screen shots or any tips about how they've been able to get theirs to configure, please? I think I'm just missing some little thing but it's driving me crazy.

I know the saffire is connected correctly to the mac. The protools sees the saffire on the firewire but won't let me select it as one of my options in the I/O window. The only option I get is Protools Aggregate I/O.

I think the problem is that I can't select "use this device for sound input" etc...using the setup window.

OK getting even weirder...all other applications (like firefox) route audio to the saffire for playback. I just opened a PT session to see if anything would playback and PT is routing audio to the speaker in the mac CPU. Curiouser and Curiouser...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ottsca
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM

You might wanna go into the Mixing Console that came with the Saffire.
It's there, were the internal I/O configuration of the device takes place. Without setting this up properly, you get I/O-hokum in PT - like everything playing from the left.

BTW I contacted Focusrite because of the sample rate problems, and they said, you have to start the saffire console first, set the sample rate there, and then open PT.
I put the Saffire console in my OSX autostart, so if I start PT now, everything is fine (since all I work with is 48 kHz I don't have to change it in the Saffire-Console).

Edit: Unfortunately works only when changing sessions. When creating a new one, I get the sample-rate error-message again. Waiting for reply from Focusrite.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24
Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Don't know who at Focusrite sets the defaults for the software, but he is either mentally challenged, or was really, really drunk when he did this.
Hey, we all know someone like that don't we. Anyways, I was wonder if you have any comments about the liquid pres in the Safire 56. I'm considering the Safire 56 at $999, the RMS Fireface800 at $1599, the MOTU 896 MkIII at $999, and the Apogee Ensemble at $1999. I also read about the Metric Halo unit at $5999 but can't aford that.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0