Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Default need to find something like analog channel....

Hello Protoolers,
I need to MIX a couple of proyects in my LE system (PC). I usually mix on my TDM (mac) system but it is not going to be available for a couple of weeks because of a proyect, and I need to mix this other two projects that were recorded in the TDM (mac) system. I am fine with session transfers from mac to PC and I am fine mixing in LE but I REALLY miss McDSP analog channel, I used to put it across all audio channels and busses and gave me that analog (compression) feel.... I already spend some $$$ buying PSP Vintage Warmer but i think its another kind of animal, not the kind to put on every channel (it is a dsp hog)... Is there any "replacement" for analog channel in LE PC land????

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 PM

Default Re: need to find something like analog channel....

Hmm, I've never heard analog channel, but maybe Antares tube would help? It's a "Tube Warmer" by design, and it does something to what it sounds like you're looking for. Compressions and 'tubing's...
http://www.antarestech.com/products/tube.html
-Olaf
Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 PM

get the VST to RTAS Wrapper and get PSP Vintage Warmer. Its one of the best plugins I have used in pro tools by far.

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 04-09-2004, 05:38 AM

Try loading two renaissance compressors on each channel. Use the first comp as you would any compressor, and the second should be a fairly hard knee high ratio comp with the threshold not set too low, close to limiting but not quite. The first comp will act like any comp, and the second will somewhat mimic the hysterisis and upper level limit effect of tape (or tape compression). The advantage to using ren comp (albeit a small advantage at best) is how it mimics analog gear when pushed to it's limit (try it, distort it on purpose...sounds like analog distortion doesn't it...well, more analog than other plugs anyway). What stinks about this is the fact it eats up two inserts per channel.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 AM

I've looked and looked. There's nothing. Like Chris said, the RenComp is the closest you'll find to that grade of quality in analog emulation (that and the URS EQ's). I (like many others) have written McDsp about the demands of PC users for their products. I've received the same generic reply everyone else has. Basically, they're not interested in PC programming at the present time. I've also taken it a step further and written Waves and URS about the possibilities of developing an analog channel/tape saturation plug-in(s). URS responded, Waves did not. URS states that they are presently working on their compressor line, but noted my suggestion and actually mentioned interest in developing one of such nature.

rockrev
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 AM

Oh yeah [smacks hand to forehead]! I forgot to mention Bomb Factory (when it comes to analog emulation). But there's no use writing Digi about a competitive AC product, as McDsp is one of their greatest outside developers (and AC is their "glory" application). I doubt they'd want to jump in with that kind of a push. But who knows? Maybe if it were PC only (as McDsp has no interest) then it wouldn't be too much of a conflict. Who knows. We can only hope that something is on the horizon.

rockrev
Old 04-10-2004, 07:33 AM

The peak limiter in renaissance compressor or renaissance channel is very effective. I usually set the compression at 1 to 1 and just crank the level. You do need to watch out for latency.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson