Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-03-2002, 09:08 AM

Default HD to sync ADAT and DA88

Hi y'all,
our studio has an HD3 rig with 2 192 IOs. We're trying to sync and ADAT XT20 and a DA88 to PT to fly tracks back and forth in sample accurate sync.

Will sync IO do this ? I don't see an ADAT sync port behind sync IO and I don't know how DA88 syncs timewise (TDIF ?)

I used to sync my ADAT to Nuendo using Hammerfal 9652 card and ASIO positioning protocol just great. No need for BRC.

Thanks for any suggestions ...
Old 07-04-2002, 12:08 AM

Default Re: HD to sync ADAT and DA88

Yeah DIGI, why couldn't you have made one of the two 9 pin connectors on the SYNC I/O selectable for ADAT sync out?

I'm glad you added MTC out, that's great, but with all the great soundcards out there that accept ADAT sync, let alone the clients that are still using ADATS (sigh), it seems like you'd have added the ADAT sync option.

Haniel,

If your DA-88 has the optional sync card installed you can use SMPTE for lock. Don't know if it's sample accurate or not, or if you need to use Word Clock as well.

In the past Digi Tech has always advised me to use a BRC when locking ADATS to ProTools and let the BRC be the master sending SMPTE and Word Clock to ProTools through the Universal Slave Driver. I haven't tried this with my new Sync I/O yet.

But when working with ADATS it always seems like there is a lot of trial and error in getting them happy. Maybe somebody knows a better, more consistent way.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 07-08-2002, 07:19 AM

Bump ... how about MOTU Digital timepiece ...
is it compatible with HD ? or is there a device out there that'll convert SMPTE to TASCAM Sync so I can use sync IO ?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 AM

HT,

I am still in the process of setting up my HD2 system, but I was able to successfully use a MOTU Digital TimePiece to send MTC to Protools. PT could also control the DTP via MMC. Works just the same as it did with my d24/v5 system.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info or if there is something you want me to test. (Have DA-88s but no ADAT)

Jeff
Old 07-09-2002, 01:50 PM

Do you need PT Midi IO ? or can ProTools use the MTC from the MOTU internally (assuming the MOTU is installed in the same mac as PT HD) ?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff_Francis:
HT,

I am still in the process of setting up my HD2 system, but I was able to successfully use a MOTU Digital TimePiece to send MTC to Protools. PT could also control the DTP via MMC. Works just the same as it did with my d24/v5 system.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info or if there is something you want me to test. (Have DA-88s but no ADAT)

Jeff
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-09-2002, 03:08 PM

I don't know if this helps, but the Sync I/O has a dedicated MTC OUT on it. It's one of the only differences (I/O wise) between it and the old Universal Slave Driver.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 07-10-2002, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haniel Trisna:
Do you need PT Midi IO ? or can ProTools use the MTC from the MOTU internally (assuming the MOTU is installed in the same mac as PT HD) ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Haniel,

No need for MIDI I/O. I have the MOTU Digital Timepiece (DTP) connected to the Protools (PT) Mac via the serial port (replaced the modem in the G4/867 with a Griffin g4Port). This serial connection handles MTC, MMC, and setup of the DTP using Clockworks software.

The DTP allows you to set the timebase (speed/sample rate) master and address (position/lip sync) master independently. It has both DA-88 and ADAT sync busses and can either be the first machine (master) or last machine (slave).

If you make the DTP the address master, wherever it goes, your DA-88s and ADATs will follow. The DTP also feeds MTC (via the serial connection) to PT and (if PT is online) PT will follow as well. The handy thing is that you can have PT send locate commands to the DTP via MMC (again down the same serial connection). You place the playhead somewhere in PT (which is online), and everyone locates there (DTP, DA-88s, ADATs, etc.). Take PT offline, and you can edit without waiting for lockup.

The DTP does not do 'musical' MIDI (notes, program changes, etc.). For this, I use a USB Midi interface (MidiMan MIDISport 2x2).

I sure hope that is somewhat clear. I think the DTP will do what you are looking for - syncwise.

-Jeff
Old 07-10-2002, 09:36 AM

That sounds great, except the fact that being a serial device and not USB, I'm afraid PT will pull the plug on its support in the near future.

It is not cheap you know ...

I'll feel better if there's a PT solution, but looks like this is the best way to go for now.
I'll see if I can find one on ebay for cheap.

Thanks for all the helps Jeff,
- Haniel

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Francis:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Haniel Trisna:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Haniel,

No need for MIDI I/O. I have the MOTU Digital Timepiece (DTP) connected to the Protools (PT) Mac via the serial port (replaced the modem in the G4/867 with a Griffin g4Port). This serial connection handles MTC, MMC, and setup of the DTP using Clockworks software.

The DTP allows you to set the timebase (speed/sample rate) master and address (position/lip sync) master independently. It has both DA-88 and ADAT sync busses and can either be the first machine (master) or last machine (slave).

If you make the DTP the address master, wherever it goes, your DA-88s and ADATs will follow. The DTP also feeds MTC (via the serial connection) to PT and (if PT is online) PT will follow as well. The handy thing is that you can have PT send locate commands to the DTP via MMC (again down the same serial connection). You place the playhead somewhere in PT (which is online), and everyone locates there (DTP, DA-88s, ADATs, etc.). Take PT offline, and you can edit without waiting for lockup.

The DTP does not do 'musical' MIDI (notes, program changes, etc.). For this, I use a USB Midi interface (MidiMan MIDISport 2x2).

I sure hope that is somewhat clear. I think the DTP will do what you are looking for - syncwise.

-Jeff
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-10-2002, 05:44 PM

Here are the details in answerbase on how to do it with a MIDI Timepiece AV (USB or Serial):

http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=7241

It describes using a 001, but the concept is the same:

The ADAT sends timecode to the MTP AV over 9-pin, the MTP AV converts the timecode to MTC and sends it to the Mac to OMS, OMS sends the MTC to Pro Tools, Pro Tools chases the MTC.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:28 PM

Wow, I need to look again. I thought the 9 pin ADAT sync on the MOTU AV was OUT only, not in.