Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Default What\'s the best TDM Reverb plugin?

I know it's a matter of taste etc etc etc but

Here's where I'm coming from:

I just ordered my upgrade to HD2.

I'll be using a Mytek 8x192 AD/DA converter.

I record mostly acoustic music.

I have Reverb One and Wave IR-L ( light version of IR )

I have a couple of outboard reverbs, a TC Electronic M3000 which is currently patched into my Mix rig digitally, and a Roland R880 which is patched into my analog desk. I mix in and out of the box.

I plan on recording at 192Khz mostly, so I won't be able to use the M3000 digitally. So I'm going to sell that I think.

I'm happy to stick with using the analog interface to the R880, most folks agree that while the converters are primitive by todays standards, they actually sound better than the digital interface, and it's a classy reverb.

So I'm thinking I need to get a classy reverb plugin as well. Choices are to upgrade to the full version of Waves IR, look at the TC electronics M6000 ports ( VSS3, DVR2, LIN2 ), TL Space, Altiverb, any others?

I'm after opinions, about specific reverbs, and about convolution vs algorithmic reverbse. Also I'd be interested to hear of any independant reviews online that I could read.

Thanks

Lennie
Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best TDM Reverb plugin?

Sounds like you already have what you need!
I own most of those plugins you mention (as well as a Kurzweil KSP8 and a System 6000)
If you want a pure pristine verb then the TC ports are the way to go although they don't really give you the obvious variations of a convolution plugin.
Altiverb is my favourite convolution plugin by far and has some fantastic sounding "spaces" although i always mute the "direct" sound. All convolution plugins seem to have a slightly "grainy" middy sound when it comes to early reflections and direct sound that the algorithmic plugins don't.
I'm sure both Revibe and Sony's reverb use convolution as part of their early reflection system (well that's what my ears tell me at least!)
It's a shame Lexicon won't license any algorithms from their 960L as TDM plugs like TC do.

So..my vote is for TC VS3 or their reverb package of all 3.

Hope this helps!
Lifer
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 12-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Just noticed you want to use em at 192...not sure which of these go that high..my system 6000 doesn't
I'd certainly check!
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM

I probably use the UAD Plate 140 most of the time... just sounds more natural than the other plugs.

Regards,
Bruce
Issaquah, WA 98027
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM

You might want to stay at 96K. You'll really chew up resources fast at 192K. Also, I'm assuming you've either got at least two of the regular Digidesign 192 interfaces, or one of the Digidesign 192 Digital interfaces (because the number of available AES/EBU inputs/outputs is halved at 192K - you only have 4 channels on a regular 192, and 8 on the digital version).

Don't know about the R880. That was a nice unit in its day, but it's really going to be outclassed with your new system. I used to have two R880's myself, and I got rid of them. Modern stuff is simply a lot better. (Also, it'll be questionable how long you might be able to keep the R880's working. That type of equipment doesn't age well.)

At 96K, you'll have more flexibility, and more power out of your HD2. The TC M4000 would be an option at 96K. Don't underestimate ReVibe. AltiVerb is great, but I think you'll really chew up a lot of resources if you use it in TDM mode at even 96K on an HD2 system.

You don't need to go nuts all at once in acquiring things either. See how things are working, and add other things as they're required.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Are you using the UA DSP Card with Pro Tools for Plate 140? If so how is latency? Thinking about purchasing Plate 140.

Thanks