Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Default importing audio or midi sends ptle into tailspin

Hello and thanks for the use of this board.

I have...

6.4 PTLE mbox w/usb (not mini or mbox2)
XP Pro v.2002 SP1
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 ghz 504mb ram
Nothing external

1. I tried to drag and drop ezdrummer files but pc would freeze. That's fair enough because EZD says they are compatible with pt 7.3 and later.

2. Used EZD in Reaper, tried to import my created midi file into a pt track. It would import but PT would react erratically. Intermittently flash white, not play the file, then play the file without trying to make it play. The tabs at top would be accessible but the transport wouldn't respond.

3.So I thought...what about importing a harmless audio file already made with pt? I tried it and got the same erratic behavior.

I downloaded an update called "6.4cs9" but was scared to install because I was afraid I might lose my current projects.

Any ideas why importing audio causes me problems?

Is there a way to upgrade to 7.3 without buying new hardware?

Am I going to have to go back to the dreaded drum machine?

Thank for any help.

PS I looked for sandra lite...i didn't find it...downloaded a version from cnet...would not run on my pc...so I just posted the specs I could come up with.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Re: importing audio or midi sends ptle into tailspin

It seems to be working now. I started a completely new project and everything loaded correctly. Maybe it was something to do with 44.1 and 44k conversions??? I don't know.

I'd still like to upgrade to 7.3
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM

How about a Sandra report on your computer? Each successive version(6 to 7 to 8) has taken more resources to operate, so your system may be better off with 6.4. Adding cs6 and cs9 should not affect sessions at all. They are simply bug fixes and compatibility fixes(so you can use XP with SP3). In any case, you have an ancient(in computer-speak) system and may not have much in the way of upgrade options. PT8.0.1 is the last version that works with the old Mbox and the next version of PT will likely be Windows 7 only. Also, back to ezdrummer, since all its audio is at 44.1K, using it in a 48K session will take much longer for it to load(if it loads at all on 6.4). Maybe you should do your drums in Reaper and record them to audio tracks, then import the audio tracks into Pro Tools?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Hi Albee. Thanks for the comments.

I've tried to run two different Sandra lite programs on my recording pc and neither would work.

I think I've resigned myself to using ez drummer with reaper to make drum tracks and then importing the wav files to pt. Not as optimum as could be but I can make do.

Since my system can handle the current work flow, I'll probably leave it alone.

Thanks again. If I have anymore questions, it's nice to know there are helpful people here who aren't crappy!!!

Larry