Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2001, 03:16 PM

Default Head phones for multiple takes on Digi001?

I'm looking for some good headphones to record multiple takes with my acouostic guitar using ProTools. Shouldn't these headphones be "open" type? That is, if they are "closed", I won't be able to hear myself as I play the guitar... I'll only be able to hear the recording through the headphones... and the speakers can't be turned on or I'll get feed back through the mic. If I'm correct about needing "open" headphones, what would you recommend by way of brand and model number? Thank you! Tom
Old 12-30-2001, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Head phones for multiple takes on Digi001?

get closed headphones so you can use them for vocals as well.and get into the old studio trick of moving one can behind you ear so you only listen to one side,leaving the other ear open to hear your wife yell that dinner is ready.My fav phones at the moment for tracking are fostex T40,but I also love the AKG and Seinheizer cans...not the cheaper ranges though.
also play around with buffer settings,low latency monitoring and monitor settings.When I record myself on accousic I monitor it through the cans.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:55 PM

Hi,
Peter gives good recommendations. I would add the Sony MDR-7506 to the list. $99 and very reasonable results when compared to my high end stereo after burning a CD from PTLE.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. - Hi Peter!
Old 12-30-2001, 04:19 PM

I use the MDR 7506 and 7509. I would think the 7506 would be great for your purpose as you can easily and comfortably flip one ear piece out if you want to monitor with one ear out. I just keep them closed over the ear for all my recordings though. Do what feels best.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2001, 06:27 PM

I always use closed phones when recording with a mic to prevent bleed over. I love my old faithful AKG K240's.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:39 PM

I use and love sony MDR-V600, also easy to flip one can out of the way. However, I always listen to just the phones so I can hear just what is being recorded, and not the direct sound which also has background noise and reverb of the room. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2001, 09:36 PM

phattrax :

Am I missing something? How can you listen to the recording with both closed headphones on and still hear what you are playing on the guitar?... Is there some way of listening to the recording on the headphones but also monitoring what your are playing through the mics with the headphones, at the same time? thanx.. Tom
Old 12-30-2001, 10:19 PM

May be I'm missing something in your question. When you're monitoring your recording through phones, you are listening to what you are playing. Most importantly, you are listening to what you're getting down on tape... (sorry I still think analog.) BTW, I personaly prefer keeping both cans on. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tom Harmon:
phattrax :

Is there some way of listening to the recording on the headphones but also monitoring what your are playing through the mics with the headphones, at the same time? thanx.. Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-31-2001, 05:53 AM

Yes, I'm definitely missing something. What you say makes complete sense to me. But I'm doing something wrong since when I have the headphones on, all I hear is the previous recording... not what I'm playing on the guitar. Thats why I'm thinking I need "open" headphones... so I can hear myself play the guitar and also hear the recording that I'm over-dubbing. So... What do you think I'm doing wrong? What is the trick to hearing the original track and what I'm playing through the mic ... at the same time? I guess the technical way to express this is "how do you monitor the guitar playing and hear the original take at the same time? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:19 AM

Hi,

Just start with the simple things first:

- When you are not recording, but just armed the tracks and the "tape" is not running, do you hear yourself then?

- Is the output of the channel routed to the correct output of the digi001, so you will hear it on your headset?

Bastiaan

Bastiaan