Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 PM

Default Re: More inputs and outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Check out the Behringer ADA 8200. ( I use the older model 8000).

Edit: It's limited to 44.1K or 48K. Not sure if other units have such a limitation.
Does look like a nice one but I'm looking for one that has all the ins and outs on the back or as many as possible so I can run them into the back of my patchbay easily
Old 03-19-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSetter View Post
Does look like a nice one but I'm looking for one that has all the ins and outs on the back or as many as possible so I can run them into the back of my patchbay easily
If you are still considering that Presonus Digimax LT, there is one more thing you should know about it. Yes all cabling is done on the back, but what I want to point out it has analog (pre-ADAT) insert points. The usual unbalanced inserts, which means with a standard Y-cable you can insert eq/comp before the stuff gets converted into digital.

You can also use the insert points as outputs if you need to. But in that case you need to solder the hot and cold of the TRS connector together so the signal also gets back to the unit. If you use standard Y-cable for analog output without sending anything back, you get nothing in the ADAT stream.

Nice little feature
Old 03-19-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you are still considering that Presonus Digimax LT, there is one more thing you should know about it. Yes all cabling is done on the back, but what I want to point out it has analog (pre-ADAT) insert points. The usual unbalanced inserts, which means with a standard Y-cable you can insert eq/comp before the stuff gets converted into digital.

You can also use the insert points as outputs if you need to. But in that case you need to solder the hot and cold of the TRS connector together so the signal also gets back to the unit. If you use standard Y-cable for analog output without sending anything back, you get nothing in the ADAT stream.

Nice little feature
Very good info. I will not be going with the Digimax LT then. I think I'm just going to go with the OctoPre
Old 03-19-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I've been looking for a Digimax LT and came accross a review of one that said "Did exactly what I wanted it to. Clean preamp with lots of headroom. It does have a higher noise floor than the Focusrite 18i20 that it's connected to".

Does anyone know how much higher the noise floor is than a 18i20 2nd gen as that is what I also have or is it not a big deal or should I be looking for something better?
Don't worry about the noise floor at all.

I have used those LT boxes together with original platinum Focusrite Octopre's (even the digital option card costs more than LT box) and I must say LT compares very well. My preference was using Octopre for drum kit and guitars because of its built-in dynamics, but LT for condenser mics because it was just so very clear preamp. In a sense I did prefer the cheaper LT preamp, but was nice to have two different types available.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Are you still using a digimax and if so are you using it with the 003 or a different interface
Yes, I use it with a Saffire 56 and it's great except that some of the Pad buttons won't stay in. I really only use it when tracking a full band. That plus the Saffire and TCE interfaces gives me 20 channels to record with which is plenty for my needs.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB