Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2001, 10:20 PM

Default Re: BIG HEAVY STEREO GUITARS??? cant get em!!

Hey Gorilla, who is that awesome vocalist??
Old 11-01-2001, 11:21 PM

hello everybody,
i see that the sm57 is a favorite, but
i find it much easier and quicker to get a full and warm sound with a good capacitor mic .i use a neumann tlm103 and compare it always with a sm57 sound but i think it's harder to make a good sound with the sm57. i lift the box of the ground, put the neumann a few inches away from the speaker and 9 out of 10 i have a good sound instantly.
i record 2 takes, pan them hard left/right and double them again in the opposite directions, but this time i nudge them 1/16
of a bar.(sort of delay). i have 4 guitar tracks by now. when you carefully eq them and mix them together you'll don't need a hairdryer anymore !
greetings, tantejo.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:47 AM

Hey guys, I think my problem was I was trying to duplicate the original track in protools, and resulted in tons of phase problems that I could never correct. Last night I miced up my boogie with a 57, and recorded one track on channel 2, and then recorded a 2nd takes on channel 3, and pnned them about 80 left and right, and it sounded great. I then tried robocops idea with the LOFI plug, and what I did was duplicated the two original parts, and everything stayed in phase, no problem, so I hit them with some LO FI distortion, and panned them a little more center about 40 left and right, and it was instant hugeness. I cannot believe I did not think of that before!!!! Thanks guys!!!
I do have a POD, and will try some things with it also.
I think I will now be looking into getting that vintech 1272 or brent averill. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2001, 07:03 AM

TANTEJO IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

(except for the amount of nudgin' [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

HERE IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THAT ENOOOORMOUS SOUND:

Take your guitar part. Duplicate it to another track . Nudge it back smthing between 15 to 35 ms. Pan each one hard.

Or you can even do a "three legs guitar monster": copy the part twice. Nudge one part forth, one part back, keep another as rercorded. Pan the nudged tracks hard, keep the first one in the center.

This trick even works on vocals and acoustic guitars!!!! (forget about bass and stereo instruments).

Oh... And remember that: what sounds big at the amp can sound thin recorded... If I were you, I would try the following thing: cut a large amount of bass off at your amp (see if you need more bass it after compression and/or track duplication), use MUCH less distortion if you can: the sound will be clearer, easier to tweak, and you can add more afterwards.

Good luck,

Edouard
Old 11-02-2001, 09:15 AM

Sometimes a 57, 421 mic combo works if you have them available. Print each mic to its own track and then double your parts (actually play them twice)and then play with the mixing of them on the left and right side. Also, on one of the takes you may want to turn the gain down a bit. This track will sound weak by itself but mixed in with the heavier, gainier track it will add beef and clarity.
James
Old 11-02-2001, 02:00 PM

Sorry, but that's some really lame sounding **** .
Old 11-02-2001, 05:01 PM

Hey Jiagap, he's my guitarist.( URKO ) Very,very,very little effects on his voice. We put the stereo slap delay when needed! www.mp3.com/Primate-Gorilla
Zo
Old 11-02-2001, 08:02 PM

BIG STEREO GUITARS>> Lexicon MPX G2-$2000

There is NO substitute in digital recording!!
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 11-03-2001, 12:08 AM

The REAMP is expensive...but mostly it matches +4 tape output to a guitar amp input.

The 001 is -10 and the output attenuatable.

Have you tried re-recording a take through your amp, and panning them hard?
Old 11-03-2001, 12:29 AM

First make the amp sound fat. Not only by itself, but with the drums and bass. make sure they compliment each other. Also, I haven't heard of anybody here Quadruple tracking the guitars. Also, roll of the gain more than you would normally. you can't tell that the gain was cut, only that the tone suddenly got really clear and heavy. Check out these recorded guitars. Mad at the world
They were tracked using a 57, 414 and 421 combined to one track, and then quadruple taked. Even try using 5 or six guitars on certain sections for dynamics. Euipment used was a sansamp GT-2 through two fender rhodes amps (one 2X12 and one 4X10). Gain on the amps was none, and gain on the sansamp was at like 2 or 3 out of ten. If you ask me, the guitars sound big.