Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 05:41 AM

Default Need a definite answer re: pc mac transfer

Hey guys - I know that if this were a chatroom most all of you would have listed in your
'profile' as one of your pet peeves: people who don't search the DUC before posting questions. I am very short on time, and kinda need an answer from someone who has done this. Its gotta work, cause Im going back on tour for a while tomarrow and a client is coming to pick up tracks to take to Jim Chapdelaine's for mixing, and I don't want any headaches while Im trying to relax in Cali. Jim has an HD3 TDM system, mac, of course. My tracks are 24 bit 44.1 etc,etc recorded on Digi001, PC, winME (Im still too much of a pussy to change to XP - if it aint broke...) I was certain that I was in the clear - enforce mac/pc compatibility - checked....should be good to go, right? Then I read the post below about 98-mac and y'awl were talking about 'Joliet' and other various properties settings for ezcd creator. I am a bit undereducated about what all this crap is, and frankly, now Im a bit spooked. I have Nero, and I see all those settings, but since there were two distinct answers, I would really like to know for sure, since I won't be able to remedy the problem from the road, and I don't want an unhappy client - this one could really help push my business to the next level...if there aren't any screwups. anyone??? bueller...bueller...Mark...Brian... Thank you all in advance.
Matt
Old 10-08-2002, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Need a definite answer re: pc mac transfer

Matt,
On the very off chance that I was the 'Mark ' below, I just can't help you. I've never transfer my tracks to a Mac of any type and have no knowledge of how to be 100% sure it will work.

Very sorry I couldn't be of help on this one.

If it wasn't me you were speaking of, then sorry for getting in the middle and using up bandwidth.

Good luck,
Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinemafixer:
bueller...bueller...Mark...Brian... Thank you all in advance.
Matt
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-08-2002, 07:51 AM

Mark - if anyone is to be accused of using up bandwidth, it should be me. I was indeed asking you, since you seem to be knowlegable. Oh well- thanks for the reply. aynone else???
Old 10-08-2002, 07:58 AM

Matt,
One point about the question confused me. Maybe it will help you get the answer a bit more quickly. Are you concerned about the PTLE format for storing the session/tracks, or are you concerned about the format used on the CDROM itself? (Or both?!)

I was a bit unclear which you were asking about.

And I wouldn't call your question wasted bandwidth at all. I think this is exactly what this forum is set up to help with.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 10-08-2002, 08:01 AM

Im not sure what you want to do?
I have done "Bounce to Disk" from a G4 then brought it into my Dell to burn for stereo type CDs.
Is that what your looking for?
If not sorry.
Ive done many cross-platform projects (I do 3D and DV as well) and the only issues in the past were QT's had to be flattened (not sure about v6) and moving files back and forth via network.
Now are you asking if you can save your Protools project and then bring it over to a TDM sytem on a Mac? Ive only done that from mBox on G4 (home) to TDM (Mac at work) using the complete folder.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:31 AM

matt

you should be in the clear.

this is assuming you're using nero burning rom 5.5 or later.

1) when the New Compilation wizard appears, select the Multisession tab and select No Multisession.

2) click the ISO tab and select ISO Level 2 (max of 31 chars). select Mode 1 as the format. select ISO9660 as the character set. check the Joliet box. check the Allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories and Allow more than 255 characters in path boxes.

3) burn and verify as per usual.

the cd is the correct format for the mac os.

if you are using nero express, read on.

as nero express does not burn ISO9660 (as far as i know) you will have to include the joliet extension on one of the discs you burn so the the mac can read the filenames correctly.

download the mac joliet extension

tell your friend to expand the file using stuffit expander, then drag the extension onto the system folder. the system will ask weather you want to put the extension in the extensions folder. answer yes and re-start the system. the mac will now read joliet cd's.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:52 AM

Hey

The guy with the mac will need digidesign software to read the pc info.

I have saved audio, and given it to a mix plus pt on mac and it opens just fine. The download is somewhere on this site. I tried to find it but I thought i'd tell you this straight away. Sorry. I'll let you know when I do find it.

I really hope this helps.
I understand the frustration!

Duane
Old 10-08-2002, 10:22 AM

Here we are. It's the Joliet software that everyone else has said! but here is the Digidesigns instructions:

To have full cross platform capabilities of Pro Tools sessions from PC to Mac:
1) When creating new Pro Tools sessions, select "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility.
2) If the Pro Tools session has already been created: File Menu > Save Session Copy In > Select "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility. Copy audio files.
3) Burn the Pro Tools session folder on a data CD from the PC.
4) Install the Joliet File System Extension for Mac OS into the Extensions Folder on the Mac hard drive and restart. This extension will allow the Mac to correctly view a Windows CD. The Joliet extension can be downloaded from the Digidesign website: digidesign.com > Support > Downloads > Utilities & Links to Third Party Software > Download Joliet File System Extension for Mac OS.
5) Copy the Pro Tools session from the CD to the Mac hard drive.
6) The Mac must have the Joliet File System Extension for Mac OS installed on the Mac before the Pro Tools session can be copied to the Mac. If Joliet is installed on the Mac after copying the Windows Pro Tools session from a CD, Pro Tools will not recognize the audio files. The Joliet extension does not work retroactively. It must be installed on the Mac first in order to view the Windows CD correctly. If Joliet is installed after copying the Windows Pro Tools session to the Mac hard drive, trash the session and re-copy the session. Now Pro Tools will correctly recognize the Windows originated Pro Tools session.

Good luck

Duane.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:36 AM

Matt,

If you've already checked enforce mac/pc compatibility when you created and saved(save session copy in) your session, there is no need to worry about it.It works.

Just make sure you've saved your session in this method:

-go to"file" menu
-choose "save session copy in"

in the dialog box do the following:

-mac will see both WAV and AIFF files,(this is up to you)
-choose the sample rate and bit depth mirroring your original session.
-check "enforce mac/pc compatibility",
-check "all audio files",
-check "session plug-in settings folder",
-check "root plug-in setting folder",
-click save(when you save make sure the file name is different from the original, by default you'll see "copy of" before your original session name.)

This procedure will create a completely new session file, leaving your original session as it was.

Open Nero,
Follow the ISO tab setting from minimoog,
just incase: if the mac is using an older cd/rom you should select Mode 2/xa.

Drag your newly created pro tools session folder("Copy of------") to Nero,
start burning. that's it.

If you have large audio files that exceeds the 700MB cd limit,
you can always burn them separately as data and add them back to the same audio file folder("copy of -----" ) later in Mac.
you should do this before you launch the session, this way you won't get the
message asking you to locate the missing audio file.

If all goes well,
It's also a good idea to convert your previous audio files(wav, aiff) to SDII files.

John
Old 10-09-2002, 12:01 AM

Thanks folks - Thats exactly what I wanted to know. In nero (I have 5.5) it has the Joliet box and all - no issues there. My question was not about the Pt aspect, but CD format - thanks for the answers - I appreciate all of your responses. Thanks again
Matt