Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Default Re: $250 for ProTools 9 ???? = Wtf Is Avid Smoking

So I do tend to agree that people who bought an interface should get a slightly better deal on the upgrade cost.

The $599 for the full version is totally competitive and a good price. The $250 upgrade price for PT8 users is completely fair especially considering this is the stuff we have been whining about for a long time. It is now a case of us shutting up and putting some money where our mouth was.

But the guy who just bought Eleven Rack last week..... these deals seem like they could qualify for a special on PT9 for sure.Maybe the person who bought an MBox 3 might not have gone that route, to get into Pro Tools, if he knew PT9 would work with any hardware. In that case he may have opted to go PT9 and something from Apogee or whoever.

It is tough though....you cannot possibly please everyone.

Overall, this is a splendid turn of events. Good move Avid.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Here's the thing. I'm a home studio guy who decided to get a DAW two weeks ago. I was edging toward Logic or Cubase. I'm not selling my services. I like to record myself playing guitar on multi-tracks and add in drums, bass, and whatever -- but for fun and only myself.

My pro audio friends (guys who work for TV and Radio) talked me into getting PT and I spent a little extra and did and have been having fun using 8LE. Then two weeks later another $250 just to stay current. (instead of buying a plugin or something.) I'm pissed but will survive. I can afford it. I just think it's gross and sneaky.

I'm going to move on about this now. Pay the price, feel burned and throw darts at a print out of the PT9 graphics -- and tell everyone in Burbank who feels like listening to my sad story.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Read this
http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...-sensible.html

And this
http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...ur-denied.html

Then go ahead and flame me

I forgot how fun it is in the DUC

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J FRANK View Post
First and foremost I created this thread title/shocker because it was how I felt at the moment. Now please listen to what I have ti say.

Pro Tools 8 Le was the most expensive upgrade DigiDesign ever had. I saw the benefits and upgraded. Now we see another update and it is even $100 more than before ( $249 ).

From my initial read the main attraction is being able to use a 3rd party audio interface. That's great, but what about the current customers that own Digi hardware and choose to upgrade?

In my opinion Digi Hardware owners should not have to pay this ridiculous full price.

The only way we can make a change is by speaking with our wallets and making noise on forums such as these publicly. Without this, things will never change.

Who will stop Avid from charging $349 for Pro Tools 10..... $449 for Pro Tools 11......

You see where I'm going here.... In this tough economy clients are looking to save money, yet our tools are costing us more?
Here are some prices for you since you sound like you are ready to jump ship:

Cubase 5 499.99
Digital Performer 325.00
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer 349.99
Apple Logic Sudio 9 499.99

These are all comparable to PTLE 9, but I suppose you could always record with Garage Band.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Is this thread for real?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidisinla View Post
Here's the thing. I'm a home studio guy who decided to get a DAW two weeks ago. I was edging toward Logic or Cubase. I'm not selling my services. I like to record myself playing guitar on multi-tracks and add in drums, bass, and whatever -- but for fun and only myself.

My pro audio friends (guys who work for TV and Radio) talked me into getting PT and I spent a little extra and did and have been having fun using 8LE. Then two weeks later another $250 just to stay current. (instead of buying a plugin or something.) I'm pissed but will survive. I can afford it. I just think it's gross and sneaky.

I'm going to move on about this now. Pay the price, feel burned and throw darts at a print out of the PT9 graphics -- and tell everyone in Burbank who feels like listening to my sad story.
How much did you pay for protools 8?

and you do realize if you had waited you would of been paying $600 for protools 9?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie69 View Post
Here are some prices for you since you sound like you are ready to jump ship:

Cubase 5 499.99
Digital Performer 325.00
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer 349.99
Apple Logic Sudio 9 499.99

These are all comparable to PTLE 9, but I suppose you could always record with Garage Band.
Apple Logic Studio 9 was $403 on Amazon last I looked with no immediate $249 upgrade required. I would have gone that way if I knew two weeks ago what I know now. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
How much did you pay for protools 8?

and you do realize if you had waited you would of been paying $600 for protools 9?
$449 with an Mbox 3.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

...Logic $403 etc etc etc.

Price is SO insignificant when you compare it to your time. Your decision process is extremely unwise if you're choosing your main DAW app purely on a lower cost. You pay dearly for that decision with each passing day and year. That's a fool's game. You're TIME investment into a DAW is far more valuable than your MONETARY costs...ad it up yourselves.

PS - Also, if you're collecting 10's and 10's of VIs and plugins etc just because their cheap, not knowing any of them deeply, in my opinion, that's another fools game.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidisinla View Post
$449 with an Mbox 3.
Wow. So for $700 you'll have hardware and software that blow away the 002R+PTLE 6.9 that paid $1100 for - on ebay! - five years ago. That's almost a miracle.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB