Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Default Multiple MBox Pro Instances/Icons in Audio MIDI Setup -> MIDI Studio

I just (finally) upgraded to Pro Tools 10.3.2 yesterday PM and noticed when I launched Audio MIDI Setup - having not utilizing the MIDI component of MBox Pro since upgrading to Mountain Lion - that in the 'MIDI Studio' window I had many - at least over 50 (!) instances of a grayed-out 'Mbox Pro' in there, along with one blue aka 'active' one. This is problematic as in Reason, Kontakt, etc. there are thereby multiple instances (ports) of MBox External/Control available when it comes to determining MIDI I/O, and the only way to remedy is to go in and delete the grayed-out instances of MBox Pro, leaving the sole 'active' one.

Further, every time I either wake my Mac Pro from sleep, reboot, or select 'Rescan MIDI' in 'MIDI Studio', another grayed-out, inactive instance of 'MBox Pro' appears that needs to be deleted in order for me to effectively utilize MIDI either in Pro Tools and/or w/Reason, Kontakt, Sibelius, etc.

I'm utilizing the latest MBox Pro driver & firmware (1.1.2 w/1.0.3 firmware). Any advice/hints? In advance, grazie!!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Multiple MBox Pro Instances/Icons in Audio MIDI Setup -> MIDI Studio

I have been experiencing this with a MOTU interface and contacted their tech support who responded that they are seeing this reported for theirs and others interfaces. My workaround is to turn on the unit after logging on, then it doesn't duplicate the MIDI device. If the device is on when powering on or restarting, it will create a duplicate. They were unsure of what was happening, but were investigating Mountain Lion coremidi as the culprit. You can just select and delete all of the numbered devices, MBox #1 #2 etc. This may not be your issue, but give it a try.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Multiple MBox Pro Instances/Icons in Audio MIDI Setup -> MIDI Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My workaround is to turn on the unit after logging on, then it doesn't duplicate the MIDI device. If the device is on when powering on or restarting, it will create a duplicate.
Thanks for your reply Chuck. Unfortunately your workaround doesn't work for me. Regardless of whether/not I boot up with the MBox on/off, a quick inspection of MIDI Studio shows the (old) grayed-out MBox icon from last boot, and when I turn on my MBox, a new, 'active' one shows up. If I toggle the power on my MBox five times while booted, I'll end up with five (more) icons.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Ipeckham - I have the exact same problem: The Mbox Pro driver icon in MIDI Setup get copied for every power-up, and once every month I open up MIDI Setup and delete 30-40 icons...

This is just one of a great number of problems that shows that the MBox Pro 3rd gen is AVID's most lazy piece of work to date.

The great DAC's/Mic Pre's really beats everything else in this price-range. That's the reason why I haven't got rid of it yet, as I've been waiting for them to fix the buggy driver software/firmware, because I believe it is the software and not the hardware. That's very obvious in this specific case.

Mbox Pro 3rd Gen is not a 100% product as it could have been.... maybe it's due to the price-range: you have to live with great hardware but crappy driver-software/firmware - and hereby get what you pay for?

Nice someone else is confirming a very obvious problem, that's been present since 10.7 came out! Thanks..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perh View Post
Mbox Pro 3rd Gen is not a 100% product as it could have been.... maybe it's due to the price-range: you have to live with great hardware but crappy driver-software/firmware - and hereby get what you pay for?
This has been the case since the 001 card/interface system and every box that followed it. This is nothing new although these small bugs seem to get completely overlooked in each new development. Funny I dont seem to run into these kinds of issues on any other DAW software on the market, why the Industry Standard has the issues is beyond me... This is where I have to put in the all seen line: We hope its fixed in PT 11... I guess in this case We hope its fixed in the MBox Pro 4

Im just glad I can use non Avid hardware for non HD systems now :)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM

It's amazing because - I am doing vocals right now, and been comparing with the Fireface 800's we have at my school! Mbox Pro absolutely beats the FF in Mic Pre's and converters. So I wonder why on earth did they not take the last final steps to make it an a**-kicking product. I don't think it's the talent missing at AVID as there is so many other great products, not to mention PT10, which is the most smooth and stable Pro Tools I have ever used. I couldn't live without it!

Must mention another problem with these famous drivers: The Low Latency Monitoring still don't work as it should. I must disable host control and manually turn up the faders to get the sound through. And yes I have set up the correct Stereo Mix profile for the given output: In this case the headphones.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 AM

I'm having the same problem with multiple Mbox Pro icons appearing in AMS. I'm using Max OS X 10.6.8 with Pro Tools LE 8 version 8.0.5.

I've posted a new thread so hopefully I will get a satisfactory response.

John