Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

About the whole 64-bit, from my understanding the main benefit of having a full on 64-bit DAW is to incorporate more than 4GB or RAM.
I believe some DAW's are finding ways to maintain their DAW at 32-bit while still accessing beyond this RAM limitation.
But don't ask me, I'm not a software engineer...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprodux View Post
About the whole 64-bit, from my understanding the main benefit of having a full on 64-bit DAW is to incorporate more than 4GB or RAM.
I believe some DAW's are finding ways to maintain their DAW at 32-bit while still accessing beyond this RAM limitation.
But don't ask me, I'm not a software engineer...
You're right about the benefits of 64-bit, but I've never heard of a 32-bit program being able to access more than 4gb of ram without a dedicated memory server, like the Play engine. I certainly don't know any DAWs capable of this yet. Aside from that, it only makes sense to eventually make the software fully 64 bit, as the OSs are going that route.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 PM

- so this Heat thing made me wanna try to compare to Analog Channel...that one sounds great too when used in the same way as heat. Now, in order to control how much you gain all the channels overall you gotta of course group all channel or hit "all" in group and enable inserts...BUT, and this maybe be a bug in 8.1 cause I haven't tried it before...the stereo versions of the plug seem to work independently of the mono versions - is this correct ? shouldn't they all follow the one plugin you're tweaking ? in which case analog channel would be insanely cool actually...

heat is easy and sounds good, but I use a lot of VI's so I wanna hear mix mix closer to what it's gonna be
Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
Question: what are the Delay Compensation implications of using the suggested bus-to-audio-track-in-input-monitoring workaround to have HEAT on a VI track?

VIs are the things you'd most want some THD on as they are virgin digital. And timing of grooves is important to some.
Hi spicemix, I was part of the HEAT team at Digi and did a lot of the testing for HEAT. I'll try to answer your question.

Assuming your concern is with tracking workflows, the safest bet is to stick with your "normal" workflow while tracking and track your VI parts first (without the added routing of Instrument-thru-Audio track) and once the VI part is down and you know the timing and feel are good you can setup the extra routing and get the HEAT sound on your VI (with ADC enabled, of course).

In the most basic scenario of routing an Instrument track with a VI to an Audio track you'll be dealing with an extra 23 samples of latency which is less than 1ms, so not too bad. However, with ADC things can get fairly complicated with more complex routing, so I find it is usually best to keep the routing as simple as possible while tracking.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, in messing with it, I kind of get it more but, I may pass on this. I think what would help it more for me is they did 4 knobs. 2 drives and 2 tones. That way, you can mix a little of all of it instead of picking between either. That would have been 100% better. That would make more since.
Instead, if you want tube, ya turn it right or saturation, you turn it left or however it goes. You have to pick instead of getting a little of all or a lot of all. I love the idea but it stops just short. I think that would be a simple fix and a huge selling point for the new mixer.

What do you guys think.?

Thanx PAM
I am not quite sure if 100 instances of individual HEAT plugs would "ONLY" use 2 chips... I think the problem is around there... anyway- better HEAT with one setting then NO heat
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_JH View Post
Hi spicemix, I was part of the HEAT team at Digi and did a lot of the testing for HEAT. I'll try to answer your question.

Assuming your concern is with tracking workflows, the safest bet is to stick with your "normal" workflow while tracking and track your VI parts first (without the added routing of Instrument-thru-Audio track) and once the VI part is down and you know the timing and feel are good you can setup the extra routing and get the HEAT sound on your VI (with ADC enabled, of course).

In the most basic scenario of routing an Instrument track with a VI to an Audio track you'll be dealing with an extra 23 samples of latency which is less than 1ms, so not too bad. However, with ADC things can get fairly complicated with more complex routing, so I find it is usually best to keep the routing as simple as possible while tracking.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Thanks for your reply. So the answer is that workaround causes a 23 sample delay that will not be compensated, and ought not to be used during tracking.

I hope the new engine in PT9 corrects for all of these scenarios, you should be able to solve the general case with a delay compensator. And it should always be on during tracking and mix alike.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Ok, so I have a proven workaround for printing HEAT to your Audio Tracks. This way you can benefit from the sonic imprint before mixing, or when mixing on LE systems. In my case, I DO mix on the airplane

I can hear it now, "yeah right! try doing it with 100-track count..."

Nevertheless, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7W0UsAarvk

-Wiz
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM

does heat need an accel card to run on or will it run on the older non accel cards as well??
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I have a proven workaround for printing HEAT to your Audio Tracks. This way you can benefit from the sonic imprint before mixing, or when mixing on LE systems. In my case, I DO mix on the airplane

I can hear it now, "yeah right! try doing it with 100-track count..."

Nevertheless, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7W0UsAarvk

-Wiz
Great of you to share this video.

This would also be a great way to use HEAT differently on each track.

You can find the best setting for drums, print that, then move on to the Bass and so on.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I'm on 10.5 and installed 8.1 to use HEAT. It may not be officially supported but it works on my system.
Will not update to SNOW because the liquidMixHD doesn't work right.
Interesting. I´m on 10.5.8 too. Runs as solid as 8.0.4?