Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Default Do not buy the new mac pro yet

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...postcount=4594

see video and post.

I was already concerned that the 28 core maxing out at all core turbo of 3ghz was too low when i saw a video rendering test and the temps being very low and I wondered if the new mac pro had a power limit issue.

The video shows the 16 core is even lower, dropping below base clock under loading a DAW environment, yet with perfect temps again which proves my theory.

Avoid this lemon like the plague for now till it's sorted. All 16 cores should be closer to 4ghz and WOULD be in a custom PC, not 2.8ghz.

The iMac pro is THERMALLY constrained, different thing, this is a power limit issue with the mac pro.. Yet both my computers which are much more thermally deficient, keep much higher clock speeds than this. The iMac pro never drops under it's all core turbo of 3.9ghz, the 10 core of my friend's the same, and my MacBook is around 3.8ghz all cores in PT and Logic. Even though the temps go into the 90's.

As you can see, the temps of the mac pro are LOW yet the clock speeds are lower than the trashcan mac pro when under load! Yes even the 12 core trashcan sustains it's all core turbo of 3GHZ which is it's design. Something inside is stopping these processors from hitting their own specs.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Do not buy the new mac pro yet

wow
Old 12-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
wow
Indeed and all the shills reviewing the 28 core that got it for free (video editors) are not reporting anything.. It's only when more people get their hands on the 12 and 16 core which most PT users will go for that the problem will get widespread attention.

Anyway one of the video channels has renewed the 12 core and it's sustaining 3.2ghz under multi core load with temps in the 50's and they didn't even mention this was weird.. They seem like complete shills.. Again that's below base clock let alone getting anywhere near the cpu's proper rated all core turbo.

Temps in the 50's and silent with all cores hammered which shows it's not a thermal limitation.. in fact that's the lowest temps of any mac ever. It has to be a power limit issue and I am just hoping it's not a hardware issue and can be fixed in an EFI update.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:38 PM

why on earth do my posts keep getting moved to general discussion and off topic? And yet they tell me there's no favouritism.

There are tons of posts in the windows and mac os section talking specifically about computers, and i put this in the mac os section talking about the new MC PRO. How is that general discussion and off topic? This is specifically to warn PT users not to get one right now as it will not be the best mac for pro tools due to the low clock speeds.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Hi TNM ! Not shure why that happened but im shure the mod if any did it will gonna chime in and say why. Good info about the macs by the way !
Old 12-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi TNM ! Not shure why that happened but im shure the mod if any did it will gonna chime in and say why. Good info about the macs by the way !
They do it to some of my posts and then tell me "don't think it's a conspiracy"..

I keep on shutting my mouth but I am going to talk to Avid about it as I have no choice anymore and have to act against this hatred some mod has against me.

I specifically examined and SPENT MY TIME, all the sub forums to see where it would properly fit in before posting, and since there are other topics in the exact same place about the new mac pro that proves my point. So I might as well not even bother choosing where to make topics anymore because someone will just move it where it will rarely be seen. And here's me like an idiot trying to help people to save their money (and lots of it) or at least make inquiries about a potential issue.

Yeah, now it's gone into general discussion and belongs here cause I am ranting off topic.. not by my choice.. i mean how ridiculous, within seconds, my topic about mac pros was moved from the mac os forum into general. Seconds.
It's just getting beyond ridiculous at this point, and hopefully avid can pin down who is doing it and ask them to stop.

Last edited by TNM; 12-21-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: changed one word
Old 12-21-2019, 11:15 PM

I just want to add that the 12 core seems ok from the latest cinebench test on youtube..

I think the 8 is as well. I think the issue starts with the 16 core, the only one I haven't seen real live testing of now is the 24 core but I doubt it would be any different/better.

In raw ghz, the speeds the 12 core hits actually put it at the same area of power with the multiplied ghz the 16 core hits, with better single core performance, so this is the mac pro to buy for DAW usage if you want one right now. (it's 12*3.8 vs 16*2.9, almost a ghz more per core and the 12 sometimes hits 3.9 during cinebench and the 16 goes as low as 2.8, so really, it IS overall a GHZ per core difference under load).

Save a load of cash, get the 12 core.

My belief is there is a VRM issue on the motherboard or a fault somewhere else that is starving the cpu of power under load, and obviously the more cores the more pronounced the issue.

Also note that if apple fix this, the temps are no longer going to be in the 50's with silent operation, so I am worried it is by design to keep the machine fans from EVER spinning up, which is a very poor choice. At least with the G5 they gave us an option in system preferences to allow max power and therefore noise LOL. I don't think the machine will suddenly become noisy if the cpu runs at it's rated speed, I think it just means the temps will be in the 80's and the fans might rev up a little.. but we are talking about extreme loading situations here.. so.. I would rather have the power TBH.

Last edited by TNM; 12-21-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: corrections.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:57 AM

Old 12-22-2019, 03:13 AM

Here is the clock and temp video for Cinebench.

https://youtu.be/hk0pTLg7jz8
Old 12-22-2019, 07:39 AM

still very low and if a DAW is not able to push those clock speeds and cinebench only is because it's literally pegged every core to 100%, then there is still an issue. Neither pro tools nor logic can use the same amount of CPU cinebench is, which is why the pro daw builders all tell us those tests are useless for us.

The point is, your cpu could only go to 2.9ghz in a heavy Logic project which is terrible mate and a real issue for high sample rate low buffer VI's.

That Logic test I made has sculpture in it's lowest quality mode at 44k and you even said you did at 256 buffer which is fine for you...

Most people at gearslutz where this all started are talking about wanting to run at 32/96.