Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Default So What's The Word on Native?

How many of you know people using Native?

It does seem that the buzz has died down, and I'm wondering just how popular this card is, especially with the killer trade in deals currently being offered by Avid.

Tom
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Re: So What's The Word on Native?

its great
smooth transition from HD3... just kept on working on the record I was doing with no break other than the few hrs of plug updates
kept the 192 for now

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm lovin HD native. Moved up from ptle and BLA 002. I always knew I had the power of an HD 3 rig, but having the software and new HDio made it a worthy investment for me.

Plus it's sooo future proof. If I get a console, no need to get another cars with the 64 io's.

If a new TDM system actually comes out and I actually felt like I needed it I can wait for an upgrade offer and jump in. TDM guys that are waiting on new cards could be waiting awhile. I had to make a move and did so.

No regrets.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 6GB Ram
Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
its great
smooth transition from HD3... just kept on working on the record I was doing with no break other than the few hrs of plug updates
kept the 192 for now
Good to hear.

So how is it working with the 192? Is latency good? I know it is supposed to be maximized for the new converters (speed wise) but will have to get a 192 myself to save money at first...

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Got it right when it came out with HD OMNI. Of course after reading all the manuals inside and out (almost 2,000 pages when you add all of them).
It's the best investment ever. Full blown 5.1 Surround system. The OMNI does like a dozen jobs. Have a Korg Triton Studio Keyboard going into it via optical.
Macpro going into it via spdif. Spdif feeding a digital dorrough.
D-sub feeding a 5.1 system through Chan 1-6 and Chan 7&8 feeding a separate stereo near field speakers via an amp hooked up to Auratone. Also feeding a LCD TV ( so I have 3 speakers to choose from for referencing/mixing too, well 4 if you include headphones)
Digital Mic Pre going into Omni via spdif
Also feeding 2 pairs of headphones for ADR (this is in addition to the headphone out on the front, so 3 pairs total)

And still have the 2 inputs for either line in/Mic/INST not used and still open to whatever else I might need later on.

And it sounds ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

Only con is the fan noise
Even after the update that fixed it which DID help a lot, but after tracking for 3-4 hours, it does kick in and you can hear it especialy in an accousticall quiet room. Not too bad, but still room for improvement.
Other than that, without the HD OMNI, I would have to invest at least twice as much $$ with more rack mount gear and mixers and knobs, cables, etc.

Hope the helps.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Had someone ask me this and wanted to share it on here. It's about how I got a total of 3 Headphone outs.

The first headphone out it the one on the front which has it's own volume control, the main knob under Monitor, if you push it in, controls HP = Headphone

The other 2 pairs I use the TRS 1 & TRS 2 out on the back. You have to go to the settings (SETUP) and scroll to "TRSOUT" and then select "OUT1-2" and whallah!

Now if you are tracking, then I have mine set up that I unhilight ALT and have my main speakers off (Using JBL SLR and it has a remote, very handy) so that when ALT is not highlighted, the speakers are not being used yet the audio is routed to TRS 1&2 and you don't get feedback, if you want to hear on your speakers, I take it out of record (This is if I am doing ADR) and select ALT. There are variations of this as well. I am doing all this that I stated in my previous post with NO other gear or rackmounts or headphone preamps.

If you need more than 3 pais of headphones in your case, then one way is to get a headphone amp and feed it from the TRS 1 or 2 outs.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM

2 weeks and counting with NativeHD and I'm really enjoying it so far. Loving ProTools 9 as well.
I really like the colours of 9, its so much easier on the eye than the white versions.
I haven't had to touch the low latency monitoring because I can work at low buffers without issue.
Interestingly I can use an RTAS plugin while in record on 9, but I couldn't stop it from bypassing on an 8 (HD3) system last night (Eleven Free RTAS Plugin>Same buffer, and both without low latency monitoring)
I'm still having a few vision issues, and my Sync HD wants to be on NTSC when opening older sessions, even when they are PAL, but there are fairly simple work-arounds.
Omni Pres are very good, and the unit is very versatile, although it took a little while to get my head around the ins and outs. Fan noise is bad, very bad infact. It modulates and is very hard to live with (even with the latest firmware). Hopefully the fan can be changed, because the unit requires front panel input for the mic pres, so you can't dump it in a machine room.

All round I'm very happy with it so far
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks SDDP, but I'm still confused on the headphone thing.

1. How do you have 2 pairs of headphones from only 2 mono outs (the TRS's)?

2. How are you controlling volume for these?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 AM

We replaced our HD2 G5 setup with an 8core 2.26Ghz Nehalem with HDNative and 96IO. For fun, my boss just loaded it up to see what it could take. This is by no means a legit way to tax the system, but it does give an idea on what it can do:

192 Audio Tracks
5.1 Mix Engine
Long Delay Compensation

Buffer 256

CPU 64%

543 Plug-Ins!

75 DS3
80 PSP VintageWarmer2 Mono
100 EPure Mono
30 L2007 Mono
10 Comp/Lim3 Mono
5 Z-Noise Mono
2 Dorrough Stereo
2 Dorrough 5.1
2 PAZ freq stereo
2 PAZ freq 5.1
1 SM engine Stereo
10 BF76 Mono
5 Expander/Gate Mono
2 Phasescope Stereo
2 Phasescope Mono
40 Waverider
100 D-verb Mono to Stereo
25 TelRay Stereo
50 Vintage Filter

The internal hard drive wasn't able to play 192 1k tones simultaneously, but I think that's to be expected?

IMDb (very partial)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
We replaced our HD2 G5 setup with an 8core 2.26Ghz Nehalem with HDNative and 96IO. For fun, my boss just loaded it up to see what it could take. This is by no means a legit way to tax the system, but it does give an idea on what it can do:

192 Audio Tracks
5.1 Mix Engine
Long Delay Compensation

Buffer 256

CPU 64%

543 Plug-Ins!

75 DS3
80 PSP VintageWarmer2 Mono
100 EPure Mono
30 L2007 Mono
10 Comp/Lim3 Mono
5 Z-Noise Mono
2 Dorrough Stereo
2 Dorrough 5.1
2 PAZ freq stereo
2 PAZ freq 5.1
1 SM engine Stereo
10 BF76 Mono
5 Expander/Gate Mono
2 Phasescope Stereo
2 Phasescope Mono
40 Waverider
100 D-verb Mono to Stereo
25 TelRay Stereo
50 Vintage Filter

The internal hard drive wasn't able to play 192 1k tones simultaneously, but I think that's to be expected?

Why keep the buffer at 256?
Also what CPU% would you get if you took it to 1024?
And how much RAM are you running?

Thanks