How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 AM

Default S6 v.2.3 feature wishlist

Hi!

I have just spent my first week with my 24 Channel M10, and so far I´m both enthusiastic and a bit confused, migrating from the Icon family, which I knew inside out.

A couple of workflow requests from an old D-Command user:

1. Possibility to add inserts and sends to channels directly from the desk.
2. Copy and Paste plugin settings between channels of similar plugins directly from the desk.
3. Copy Send levels from one send to another from the desk. (this couldn´t even be done on the D-Command, but would be a nice addition.:))
4. Add some sort of global pan setting display, maybe as another way to look at the tracks screen...?

If any of these functions are already implemented, please give me a heads up and a nod in the right direction.

Thanx!

Javed Kurd
Oslo, Norway

PTHDX 12.5.2
S6 M10 OS 2.2
Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Avid

Default Re: S6 v.2.3 feature wishlist

Thanks for you ideas, most of these are already on the to do list, although not the next release (soon) which is mainly a performance increase release.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karegranat View Post
Hi!

I have just spent my first week with my 24 Channel M10, and so far I´m both enthusiastic and a bit confused, migrating from the Icon family, which I knew inside out.

A couple of workflow requests from an old D-Command user:

1. Possibility to add inserts and sends to channels directly from the desk.
2. Copy and Paste plugin settings between channels of similar plugins directly from the desk.
3. Copy Send levels from one send to another from the desk. (this couldn´t even be done on the D-Command, but would be a nice addition.:))
4. Add some sort of global pan setting display, maybe as another way to look at the tracks screen...?

If any of these functions are already implemented, please give me a heads up and a nod in the right direction.

Thanx!

Javed Kurd
Oslo, Norway

PTHDX 12.5.2
S6 M10 OS 2.2

What features convinced you to move from a D-Command to an S6?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM

I decided to upgrade my D-Command to an S6 because it felt like the right way to move forward , since any software developement for the ICON stopped a while back, and several pieces of the hardware started to malfunction (power supplies, transport buttons, sticky faders etc.).

I realize that there are quite a few ICON functions left to be migrated into the S6 system, but still this new platform shows great potential and can, with time, speed up my workflow considerably.

I´m still adjusting and adapting, but I try to learn from documentation on YouTube and in written manuals, so it won´t take long until I´m up to speed, hopefully.:)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm contemplating making the same move. but my biggest worry is loosing the dedicated eq/comp which I love so much. How does the touchscreen compare?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndnerd View Post
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm contemplating making the same move. but my biggest worry is loosing the dedicated eq/comp which I love so much. How does the touchscreen compare?
In addition to the touchscreen and its 8 knobs you can also designate either 1 or 2 Knob modules to the attention track and these have preferences that allows any type of plugin or other set of controls(pan, sends etc.) to appear there...so you could have EQ, DYN and pan controls available all the time.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndnerd View Post
I could imagine knob modules serve the purpose great if not better.
BUT, on the ICON you might be used to the fact that opening an EQ plugin on Pro Tools screen populates its controls in the ICON's EQ section and Custom Fader plugin section. On the S6 even if the plugin is on the computer screen, you still have to select it manually from the control surface.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karegranat View Post
I decided to upgrade my D-Command to an S6 because it felt like the right way to move forward , since any software developement for the ICON stopped a while back, and several pieces of the hardware started to malfunction (power supplies, transport buttons, sticky faders etc.).

I realize that there are quite a few ICON functions left to be migrated into the S6 system, but still this new platform shows great potential and can, with time, speed up my workflow considerably.

I´m still adjusting and adapting, but I try to learn from documentation on YouTube and in written manuals, so it won´t take long until I´m up to speed, hopefully.:)
There's a huge amount in the S6 that isn't the ICON! Gil Gowing's series of getting started videos on the Avid site are a great start if you haven't caught them already.

Also this PDF is VERY handy.:
http://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fil...peration20.pdf

What really convinced me about the S6 was when I did my own custom set of softkeys that fit MY workflow. It's hard to measure how more productive and efficient my working day is as a result but however you measure it.... It's a LOT!!!

Also, there are so many ways to do the same thing. It's very flexible in that it can be made to fit YOUR workflow, not the other way round!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
I could imagine knob modules serve the purpose great if not better.
BUT, on the ICON you might be used to the fact that opening an EQ plugin on Pro Tools screen populates its controls in the ICON's EQ section and Custom Fader plugin section. On the S6 even if the plugin is on the computer screen, you still have to select it manually from the control surface.
True..you would need to Select that track in PT so it attentioned first. Something we want to improve for sure.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
There's a huge amount in the S6 that isn't the ICON! Gil Gowing's series of getting started videos on the Avid site are a great start if you haven't caught them already.

Also this PDF is VERY handy.:
http://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fil...peration20.pdf

What really convinced me about the S6 was when I did my own custom set of softkeys that fit MY workflow. It's hard to measure how more productive and efficient my working day is as a result but however you measure it.... It's a LOT!!!

Also, there are so many ways to do the same thing. It's very flexible in that it can be made to fit YOUR workflow, not the other way round!

Great PDF! Thanks a lot!:)