Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Default RE: NEW WAVES UPDATE: NO DEAL!

let me know when waves changes its policy back to "when you need an update and it seems valuable to you, you pay for it."

til then my 200 is going to URS.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: RE: NEW WAVES UPDATE: NO DEAL!

as i understand it, that's the deal. you pay $200 whenever you want to update to the newest product. if that's 1 year or 3 years from now, it's still $200. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 AM

Nobody can know what their policy is 1 year or 3 years from now.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
as i understand it, that's the deal. you pay $200 whenever you want to update to the newest product. if that's 1 year or 3 years from now, it's still $200. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
This is all getting confused some how.
The new deal is WUP will never cost you MORE than $200 to get current. You can still pay $50 (or whatever one year costs for your bundle) to be covered, but if you let it lapse you will not be looking at crazy prices to get current again.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
This is all getting confused some how.
The new deal is WUP will never cost you MORE than $200 to get current. You can still pay $50 (or whatever one year costs for your bundle) to be covered, but if you let it lapse you will not be looking at crazy prices to get current again.
Well, I guess the point others are making is that there's no guarantee that the policy might not change again at some point (just as WUP came out of the blue to begin with). In other words, you can't say "never." It's going to be a gamble, but at least the price is somewhat reasonable for the moment.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM

For me with a Gold bundle, to get current and not worry about compato issues is a no brainer.
I may even go Platinum + Restoration.
There are too many users who have Waves...so for me to have it current might mean the difference between getting a session coming my way or not.

I think the revolt may be over.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Well, they seem to have the same old customer service, though. I gave up on Waves when they went to WUP, still have the Gold Native 3.x but haven't used it in several years since I've changed computers. When I got their email, I thought I would inquire about cost to get my 3.x bundle up to current version and change to an ilok authorization. Sent them an email yesterday morning, still haven't had a reply. If it would cost $200 or less to have a working Gold Native package again for use in PT, and another $100 or something per year for WUP if I wanted to update after a year, that might be worth it.

But not if I can't even get an answer to a sales question (let alone a tech support question).
Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 AM

remember that you have to pay not just to stay current with updates but also just to receive any customer service whatsoever. That's what i'm not okay with
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Come on guys, this is biggest concession to come out of Waves in years. $200 for what would have cost me $900? That moves my situation dramitically, but even more to the point is that it doesn't move on a daily basis, and isn't as much of a rental scenario. It's not a complete fix, but we are dealing with hostiles here, so I take it as a positive sign.

I've thought about WUPPING up, just to recompense them for moving their policy in a more acceptable direction. I've been a Platinum owner for years, but a staunch boycotter of the WUP plan. I thought I was going to have to ditch Waves in the near future, but now I'm reconsidering.

I understand the fear that the policy will change again, and it's part of what gives me pause on the issue. Also, the years of such a ridiculous policy. However, I don't hate the company, and I don't want to put them into a no-win situation where customers complain no matter what they do.

What it seems to boil down to is a $200 charge for a needed update. (you can just buy WUP, and the associated update when you need it.) That's a normal deal for software of this scope.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Guys,
Save even more money by getting your WUP through your Waves dealer! I saved quite a bit vs going directly to Waves!!!!
Check it out.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.