Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Digidesign Enters Live Sound Market

with New Digital Mixing Console
Monday May 3, 9:01 am ET

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040503/35405_1.html

DALY CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 3, 2004--Digidesign, a division of Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID - News), today announced plans to enter the sound reinforcement market with a new digital mixing console system aimed at professionals in a wide range of live performance venues, including tours, theatrical productions, corporate installations, and houses of worship. The system will feature uncompromising audio fidelity and a recording and playback pathway to Digidesign's award-winning Pro Tools® digital audio workstation.
"In the past decade, Pro Tools has revolutionized the way professionals record, edit, mix, and master audio in music studios and postproduction facilities," said David Krall, president and chief executive officer of Avid. "We believe that the live sound market is primed for a similar transformation, as engineers shift from traditional, analog mixing boards to digital consoles that offer greater creative control and flexibility. No other company is in a better position than Digidesign to integrate a live sound console with a nonlinear recording environment and the vast plug-in processing capabilities that have made Pro Tools the leading digital audio workstation in the industry."

Digidesign general manager Dave Lebolt added, "For the past three years, we've engaged in a huge development effort to create a live mixing system that combines our DSP and control surface expertise with the special requirements of performance sound. The result of this effort is a new product line that, like the Pro Tools family of systems, is engineered to be flexible, expandable, and scalable to meet many different needs and price points. With these revolutionary products, we hope to achieve the same level of success in the live sound market as we have in the recording and postproduction industries."

Digidesign plans to unveil its sound reinforcement product line in September 2004 at the PLASA event in London, the annual trade show of the Professional Lighting and Sound Association. The system is expected to ship by the end of 2004.

For more information about Digidesign's products and services, visit www.digidesign.com
Old 05-03-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Enters Live Sound Market

That might be some of the best news I've read on here for awhile. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:17 PM

I dunno...

It's still Pro Tools, and while its reliability is pretty good, it still crashes occasionally. When did an analog console ever crash and stop the show? Even dedicated digital consoles don't crash nearly as often as computers and software. It would have to be really bulletproof to be accepted in the live sound arena. There is no Take 2...

rcm
Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 PM

This is WHOAAAA! Make me a beta tester for this! Please, please, please

btw, I have done live mixing with a mix+ system, seriously! There was volume and plug in automation involved and all, very cool thing. It was not a whole live show but just one song for a TV show but we had time to rehearse everything over and over again and as the song involved some backing tracks it was easy to automate mixing!

Whishlist - It seems to be the badest thing people complain when mixing on a digital live desk that you cannot control two EQ-s at the same time, so please include two sets of EQ control knobs. And please inlude several _fully_ assignable additional faders to the control surface! And touch screens, we need touch screens! And please 0 latency
And did I say please make it affordable?

Nice move digi, I hope it turns out great!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Avid

Quote:

It's still Pro Tools, and while its reliability is pretty good, it still crashes occasionally. When did an analog console ever crash and stop the show? Even dedicated digital consoles don't crash nearly as often as computers and software. It would have to be really bulletproof to be accepted in the live sound arena. There is no Take 2...

Obviously we have thought a lot about these issues, and while I can't say a whole about about it, if the host computer crashes the system will keep passing audio exactly as before and the control surface also remains functional. After the host computer finishes rebooting it reconnects, and you are right back where you started from. Also, a lot of effort has been into testing, so hopefully a crash will be very rare in the first place. And by the way, Live Sound is not Pro Tools.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:36 PM

The first thing that hit me when I read this was that this is just another sign of the diminishing world of professional recording studios. Maybe there just aren't enough large studios left to buy into high end Pro Tools systems and the LE stuff doesn't fill the void.
The good thing may be that because Digidesign will be splitting their efforts between Studio and Live gear that they won't come out with new stuff as quickly and leave us with a load of out-dated cards and interfaces.
Just my thoughts.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Obviously we have thought a lot about these issues, and while I can't say a whole about about it, if the host computer crashes the system will keep passing audio exactly as before and the control surface also remains functional. After the host computer finishes rebooting it reconnects, and you are right back where you started from. Also, a lot of effort has been into testing, so hopefully a crash will be very rare in the first place. And by the way, Live Sound is not Pro Tools.

Then may I freely speculate?
The FOH board would have to generate a SMPTE timeline and have automation for performance which could be overridden manually and possibly integrate with lighting and have plug-ins that would be loadable into the dsp of the board!!!!???!!!!!????