Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Re: sorry...another WAVES post

Quote:
Is this possible? I was told by waves that they can not be authorized from an external drive. If anyone has done this let me know.
My instinct is that it wouldn't work. Still, if you're at the point where you're ready to wipe your G4 drive, it wouldn't be too tough to test. You'd just need to install the Mac OS, PT, and your Waves plug-in. Then you'd find out quick enough.

Personally, I'd be a little hesitant to run my G5 with the system software on an external FW drive. It might be no big deal, though.

As upset as you are with Waves, paying the WUP is probably the only real option. You'll need to do that even if all you want to do is to sell the software to someone else.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-21-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Is this possible? I was told by waves that they can not be authorized from an external drive. If anyone has done this let me know.
My instinct is that it wouldn't work. Still, if you're at the point where you're ready to wipe your G4 drive, it wouldn't be too tough to test. You'd just need to install the Mac OS, PT, and your Waves plug-in. Then you'd find out quick enough.

Personally, I'd be a little hesitant to run my G5 with the system software on an external FW drive. It might be no big deal, though.

As upset as you are with Waves, paying the WUP is probably the only real option. You'll need to do that even if all you want to do is to sell the software to someone else.

Lee Blaske
Just to update this nonsense. I realized I had the Ren bundle for Massive Pack 1 still unregistered in the box. After registering that bundle, the WUP on my Gold Bundle dropped to $380. This makes no sense to me, but I probably will just upgrade my Gold Bundle now, get V5, an ilok authorization and 2 free light versions of pluggins I dont need. I still think the whole thing sucks, is unfair, and probably illegal, but I think its best to just do this now for the last time.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 AM

WAVES at NAMM was NOT using 7.0 in their exhibit.

they had....they tried it....it wasn't stable....they pulled the plug to prevent embarassment
so they used 6.9.2
not their fault really so they say....they blame digi....uh in a way it seems

why oh why did i upgrade this early to 7.0?

their new SSL plugs....looked and sounded killer

Old 01-21-2006, 02:42 PM

Another possibility / alternative for the Waves L1/L2/L3 ie the wavearts final plug. I don't have "Golden ears" but, IMHO, quick tests certainly show promising results, and it's cheap... About the price of a WUP for a year...

Hmm! Interesting isn't it. And their other plugs also seem valuable.

Back to testing

Quote:
For those holding out for an L1/L2/L3 replacement, PSP Audioware has a new RTAS Limiter coming out called "Xenon" - I got the demo at NAMM yesterday but haven't spent any time with it yet (no info on their website that I can find). If it works anywhere near as well as their Vintage Warmer (which is also a great L1 replacement), I might be finally completely free of my v5 Gold bundle. I'd love to get rid of it entirely, but according to the Waves geniuses, I'd have to spend almost $400 just to have the right to sell it to someone else. Guess it'll just sit on the shelf hoping for the longshot chance Waves gets a clue - at this point I'd prefer they just went out of business, I'd pay a yearly fee if it would guarantee permanent public ridicule of this god-awful company and their business practices.
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 01-21-2006, 08:39 PM

as much as i hate to keep paying........... When i bought the plugins, they worked as promised. if i decide to change my operating system and update my applications, why does waves have to update my stuff for free? it still works on the system i paid for.

If a client wants to keep updating his songs to follow the trends, will you do it forever for free?

I hate to keep spending money on wup like anyone else, but the stuff is excellent, and i want it.

I think you all should charge your clients more money and stop worrying about how waves does business, or just learn from waves........charge more money.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:52 PM

Did you even read the rest of this thread? You missed some critical info about Ken P's situation.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
now with a new computer
Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM

I am not saying that Ken P did this, but my friend bought a mac from someone on craig's list that was LOADED with tons of authorized software, in fact he called me to ask about the deal and i was shocked to tell him that the software alone was worth 10x the price he was paying for the computer.

Now i highly doubt that KenP sold his old computer with his old software still authorized on it, but it does happen alot.......this is one example why iLok's are a companies only viable option.

I really feel for Ken's situation, but he should have made some phone calls before he bought a new computer and not assumed he could just get new auth's on a new computer.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
now with a new computer
This point is not relevant. What does that have to do with anything. The software doesnt require an update to work on a new computer. I didnt buy the software, remember. I bought a license to use the software. The software I have works. I just need it on a different machine. If your hard drive with the authorization on it failed, then what? Should you have to pay Waves hundreds of dollars to use what you bought?? If thats the case, they need to spell that out pretty clearly. I dont own the software, all I own is the right to use it. Thats all I ask for. To use what I already own, on whatever machine I have at the time. If I have to upgrade to work with a different OS, or a later version of my recording software, that is another story. Thats not what this is about.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 PM

So where is your old computer? if the drive crashed, just send Waves the drive, they can deal with it and see your old auth's and give you new iLok ones.
Ive spoken with the guys at waves countless times and i don't believe that they wouldnt say ok to that offer.

or threaten to spend $1500 to get a lawyer to get you $500 in plug's back. They know that wont fly because you agreed to the EULA, we all did. and don't think that youre gonna get some people from the DUC to join in, they cant even afford yearly WUP!

Piracy is now biting us all in the aass.........and my wallet. Everyone knows that for years you could get cracked waves as well as many other plugs on the internet 24/7, why do you think most of these companies are getting swallowed up by Digi.......nobody wants to deal with this kinda crap, and i cant blame them............Waves and others put up with it, but for a price.
The cat & mouse game continues.........