Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-31-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Replacement Options for Waves Plug-Ins...

Quote:
could anyone provide comparitive comments on channel strip's compressor vs. waves c1 (both running tdm)? Thanks for help.

-cc1
I prefer Channel Strip for Post work, and it is VERY easy on DSP. The support is awesome. Drop them an email and see if you can give it a demo.

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036
Old 08-01-2004, 02:40 AM

I promised some feedback on our little endeavour with Powercore, - we got the Powercore Firewire yesterday...
- First off, - why we are looking in the direction of TC, - very simple, the cost/quality ratio is very apealing.
- the portability of the system, - and the fact that its an open platform just as HD.

Ok, - so back to what have happend, - as i´ve mentioned we´ve had no problems with the PoCo PCI version on either mac or pc. So we took a somwhat bold step and got a Firewire version also.
The system that currently have PoCo installed is a Digidesign approved P4 2ghz pc running PT ver. 6.4 and latest cs-update. VST-wrapper ver. 1.06.
The install was easy and once the drivers was loaded the PoCo-controlpannel reflected that there was now two "cards" installed, - it dosent say which is which only showes that there are now two cards on the machine.
No prob opening Pro Tools sessions with PoCo- plugs and adding new ones, - you just have more DSP-power. There have been issues with two or more cards with the UAD using just 50% of the avalible power, - no such thing with TC..
One thing I´ve noted, - dont load plugs while in playback - PT and PoCo can lose sync. and you´ll get a pop-up to show you that.
Pro Tools has been stable, - so has PoCo.
There are as I´ve mentioned a few minor bugs, but none sever enough to turn me away from PoCo, and none that you cant easyly work around. Fx. if you open a session with some of the plugs on the master-channel you´ll need to open and close the plug-in window once before it will let any audio through..
Then there are the latency issue, - as mentioned we just use the plugs as we would external hardware and compensate accordingly..

Hope this answers a few questions..

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 08-01-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Then there are the latency issue, - as mentioned we just use the plugs as we would external hardware and compensate accordingly..

Hope this answers a few questions..
Does PT's auto delay compensation work the same with VST-RTAS-ADAPTER plugins as it does with TDM plugins?

Thanks,
-cc1
Old 08-01-2004, 09:01 PM

I found a plugin on the OSXaudio web site (great site by the way) that could possibly replace a number of Waves plugs.
Quote, "BadCable 1.2 is an AudioUnit which attempts to simulate a bad audio cable. The result is a form of waveform distortion. With some settings, the effect sounds like FM radio when you're at the edge of reception (check out preset #2 "FM Edge").
This is a minor update, focusing primarily on performance enhancements.
The effect is rather dependent upon the average level of the incoming signal, so the Intensity parameter is designed with a very wide range to cover all possibilities, including very soft 24-bit signals.
Very high settings of Intensity will sound like a "cable" that is so "bad" is doesn't work at all "

Old 08-03-2004, 08:56 AM

What's the URL?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:21 AM

OSXAUDIO

Great site that tries to keep up with EVERYTHING audio for MAC OSX.

BTW, thestudio, thanks for being the guy who keeps this all alive.

Cheers!
.:
naughty dog
Old 08-21-2004, 02:45 PM

[QUOTE]
...we are looking in the direction of TC, - very simple, the cost/quality ratio is very apealing[QUOTE]

Before I spend $ on the TC TDM Tools bundle: Is there an alternative to TC's Chorus/Delay? Its very easy to use and sounds good (like RenVox from Waves - easy & sounds good). I don't think Waves has a plugin like TC's Chorus/Delay (unless you use doubler or metaflanger -which I struggle with). Any other alternatives? I have Echo Farm (and Telray) but I've had better results with TC's Chorus/Delay for vocals.

Thanks for help.
cc1
Old 08-22-2004, 12:30 PM

Hi CC1,

Try Sound Toys Sound Blender (includes Pitch Blender and Time Blender).

Sounds great! ... Incredible flexibility ... and some really fantastic presets right out of the box.

Cheers.
.:
naughty dog
Old 08-22-2004, 08:05 PM

Great thread. I've been needing this one.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:41 AM

Just a question: Did you also get more Waves advertising (by mail) recently than the last 2 years?

Do they already realize the lost of income? Do they feel the breath of the other plug in companies in their neck?

I HOPE SO!!!