Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Will the new AAX plugs be supported in other daw's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
At one point you could use TDM plugins in Logic, not sure if this is still true, but it's noteworthy.
Specifically, you couldn't use TDM plugins in Logic and Digital Performer per se, but you could load the DAE engine in these DAWs which allowed use of the TDM plugins. Of course, you had to have both TDM hardware and Pro Tools installed to do this so the user wasn't getting anything that wasn't already theirs other than the workflow in these competing DAWs.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 AM

But wouldn't it be interesting if Avid allowed it and other DAW users could use the HDX cards to run more plugins. That would increase the possible user base of HDX cards.

But Avid would obviously need to have some amazing plugins exclusive to the AAX format or the cards need to be much more powerful to make people want it.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 AM

That idea of other software being able to use HDX is a good one. Just like the UAD cards work in all. And dont tell me AVID cant write that kind of code because computers can do anything, just watch weird science, lol!!! But honestly, AVID, Steinberg, Cakewalk, Apple (Logic), etcs dont have the best plugin effects or soft synths. 3rd party developers have done a great job with that. Who would pick structure over kontakt or battery? And as good as PT is for recording and mixing, there is a lot left to be desired when it comes to composing/programming. I guess will see!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM

I would not expect to see any more than what was allowed in the past where Logic and DP were allowed to load the DAE engine for accessing the TDM hardware and I/O. Any more than that and they'd be loosening control of their product too much.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM

A long time since I gave up on Logic TDM, but I think you could use the TDM plugins in Logic too at the time, on separate objects/tracks.
ah well, in theory going between PT and Logic was very good but never really fulfilled it's promise..
best
Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM

The instrument plugins such as XPand 2,Structure,Transfuser etc. would these also never be offered in other daws??
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Cool Re: Will the new AAX plugs be supported in other daw's?

Avid will allow RTAS plug ins in other daws just after hell freezes over, or the sun has a supernova. Whichever comes first..
But to be sure Avid has no conscience about using other company's hard earned software plug ins on their platform

However it is possible to use Pro Tools(functionally) as a Rewire slave..
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Avid will allow RTAS plug ins in other daws just after hell freezes over, or the sun has a supernova. Whichever comes first..
But to be sure Avid has no conscience about using other company's hard earned software plug ins on their platform

If you're talking of FX pansion vst to rtas wrapper, then you should know it's not avid's wrapper, but an other company that made that wrapper. On it's own, PT cannot use anything else than RTAS/TDM/AUdio Suite/ and now AAX. VST wont work unless you buy and used the wrapper that is made by a third party company, nor the apple AU plugin format will. As for the other video platforms, that maybe, but since I do music and not video editing, I don't give a rats arse.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 PM

His is Talking about USING RTAS plug ins IN OTHER DAWS. Read first Manny.... He's not interested in getting 3rd party plug ins into Pro Tools. That's a Non-Issue
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post

And I'm specifically speaking of the part of your comment that I highlighted for you. Since beside Avid daws and video editors, no other daws out there uses rtas as far as I know, well beside the digital performer if you had the tdm cards or hd hardware dae loaded. But again, you can't use vst (unless you use the wrapper which is not made or sold by avid) the au, DSSI, LADSPA, jack, lv2, dxi, or mas plugins formats in Pro tools. So you're comment is false.

Wave-T.com
Closed Thread